Sign in with
Your question

DMA in WinXP Pro

Last response: in Windows XP
July 30, 2003 9:00:46 AM

I have a Seagate SATA HD and was wondering if it is possible to enable DMA access for this drive in WinXP Pro. I go to DeviceManager and then select my drive and go to Properties but there is no tab in which you can change the DMA setting. Am I missing something here or is DMA enabled automatically?

More about : dma winxp pro

July 30, 2003 12:11:17 PM

it has to be selected at the controller, not the drive. The SATA controller should be listed under SCSI devices. Not sure if it has DMA but that would be where to look

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>
July 31, 2003 4:03:27 AM

Quote:
is DMA enabled automatically?

It does by its BIOS.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
Related resources
July 31, 2003 5:00:35 AM

There is no SCSI category in Device Manager. The HD is hooked up to SATA channel 1 and it's working fine.
August 1, 2003 4:27:43 AM

Anyone know why the SATA controller doesn't show up under SCSI Devices, please help.
August 1, 2003 2:21:35 PM

Quote:
Anyone know why the SATA controller doesn't show up under SCSI Devices

Do you have <b>SCSI or RAID controllers</b> category? And your SATA drive should have been in category called <b>Disk drive</b>.
Anyway, you don't need to enable DMA for your SATA drive (in fact, it does not have that option in Windows either) since it has been enabled automatically in the controller's BIOS.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
!