HELP!!

Tearing my hair out now.....:p

Bought a D-Link DI-624+, DWL-2000AP, matching pci card and 2 pcmcia cards.

I wanted to use the access point as a "hop" to extend the range of the
network from the house to a small office at bottom of garden. I duly set up
the router, no problems with connection, then went about setting up the
access point at the back in the patio to extend over to the office at bottom
of garden. I set up the laptop next to the access point but could get no
signal whatsoever from it and was only picking up a very low signal from the
router.
I connected to the access point via ethernet from the laptop and all is
well, I can connect no problems. When it comes to communicating via wireless
it just doesn't happen. I have tested this out with a pci card and just
having the access point on in access mode (it has 4 modes) and it connects
fine but I still can't access the control panel on 192.168.0.50.

I have tried all the mac addresses available to me from router, have tried
all the settings on both the router and the access point but I still can't
communicate with it unless it's connected via ethernet.
The wireless works as I can get a signal, but nothing more.

I have contacted D-Link today and got conflicting reports from them, the
first call said that these two don't work and that I need another access
point to extend the network (screw that, already paid a fortune for what I
have got here which is *supposed* to work together according to manual and
website) and that *maybe* future firmware updates will fix this issue. The
second call I made they said that my hardware revisions and firmware should
allow me to connect and use the full 4 settings of the AWL with the router
for the purpose I bought them for (and should be able to).

Scouring the internet I came across this:
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,9046224~mode=flat
Which also seems conflicting.

Sorry for the long windedness of this but I have been trying to get it
running since 10am and it's now 11.30pm :(

Has anyone got these two working together? I have:
DI-624+ hardware revision A3 with latest 1.18 firmware and the DWL-2000AP+
hardware revision A2 with firmware 1.13 (latest also).

Please, any advice welcome before I have to send it all back and choose yet
another setup.

I am not new to setting up a wireless network, so it's not a newbie fault
here :)

"methylene" <methylenedioxy@thecorkntlworld.com> wrote in

> I have contacted D-Link today and got conflicting reports from them,
> the first call said that these two don't work and that I need another
> access point to extend the network (screw that, already paid a fortune
> for what I have got here which is *supposed* to work together
> according to manual and website) and that *maybe* future firmware
> updates will fix this issue.

So does the manual specifically say you can use point to point bridging
with the 624? The website doesn't seem to indicate the 624 is compatible
with bridging : (

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

"Lucas Tam" <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in message
> "methylene" <methylenedioxy@thecorkntlworld.com> wrote in
>
> > I have contacted D-Link today and got conflicting reports from them,
> > the first call said that these two don't work and that I need another
> > access point to extend the network (screw that, already paid a fortune
> > for what I have got here which is *supposed* to work together
> > according to manual and website) and that *maybe* future firmware
> > updates will fix this issue.
>
> So does the manual specifically say you can use point to point bridging
> with the 624? The website doesn't seem to indicate the 624 is compatible
> with bridging : (
>
> --
> Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=10
read the part in middle that says "works with"

The access point has 4 choices on it including repeater mode, but DLink now
claim that in order to get this function I need to buy ANOTHER access point
on top of all the kit bought, that works out at stupid prices.
Before the firmware upgrades people managed to connect these products
together, but since the new firmware they can't, and D-Link now say they
will add it again with a future firmware update.

An email from their support today is:

Hi!

This might be better.

DI-624+ H/W A2 F/W 1.18 ------------- DWL-2100AP Functions.

DI-624+ H/W A3 F/W 1.18 ------------- DWL-2100AP Functions.

Kind Regards,

D-Link Support

So they DO claim they work together.

"methylene" <methylenedioxy@thecorkntlworld.com> wrote in news:XwHcc.207
$Kq5.138@newsfe2-gui.server.ntli.net:

> http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=10
> read the part in middle that says "works with"

Well, I would never trust those side bars. Always check the Datasheets
before you buy ; )

--

> "methylene" <methylenedioxy@thecorkntlworld.com> wrote in news:XwHcc.207
> $Kq5.138@newsfe2-gui.server.ntli.net:
>
> > http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=10
> > read the part in middle that says "works with"
>
> Well, I would never trust those side bars. Always check the Datasheets
> before you buy ; )
>
> --
> Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Well, that was mighty helpful of you, thanks for that solution :s
The datasheets say the same thing actually.

Has anyone got these two working together?

"methylene" <methylenedioxy@thecorkntlworld.com> wrote in news:lNOcc.21
$3U.11@newsfe1-win:

> Well, that was mighty helpful of you, thanks for that solution :s
> The datasheets say the same thing actually.

Not the 624 sheet, it doesn't say it can be used as a wireless bridge : (

--

"methylene" <methylenedioxy@thecorkntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<lNOcc.21$3U.11@newsfe1-win>...
> Has anyone got these two working together?

Yes. I have a DWL-2100AP (f/w v1.02) repeating a DI-624c (f/w v2.42)
signal. There was a weird twist in setting the 2100 up though... I had
the WEB interfaces up for both the DI-624 and the DWL-2100AP. While
configuring the 2100 for Repeater mode, you're suppose to provide the
MAC address of the Root AP (in this case, the DI-624's LAN MAC
address). I thought to be safe (and to make it easy on myself), I'd
just do a Copy & Paste. Well, after a few hours of no luck in getting
the 2100 to repeat, I gave up (that was yesterday)... Today, I got a
second wind, and took another look at the setup. I wouldn't have
believed this could happen... But, it did! Turns out, when I did the
copy and paste from the DI-624 to the DWL-2100AP, the true MAC address
of ---> 00-0D-88-BF... ended up being copied to the DWL-2100AP as --->
00-0D-00-BF... No wonder it didn't work! How that happened, I still
don't understand?

Bottom line though, The DWL-2100AP repeats the signal just fine! My
wife's PC and the DWL-2100AP are in the family room, 4 walls away (2
long walls) from the DI-624. Her PC shows the signal of the DI-624 at
roughly 35%. Signal from the DWL-2100AP is 100%. And, before someone
asks... Yes. The PC is associating with the DWL-2100AP. BTW: 128 bit
WEP is enabled on everything.