Geforce 6800GT - sux in farcry? :(

Zal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004
Im having an interesting problem with my geforce 6.. its a PNY Geforce 6800 GT 256mb, which i bought to replace my 9800XT (which is going to my brother).

Before installing the geforce and its drivers, i uninstalled my ati drivers and utilities using the uninstall utility in add/remove programs.

I installed the latest geforce drivers from the nvidia site, version 61.77 for winxp. At first, the card seemed to be performing as expected -

12k score in 3dmark03
51k mark in aquamark03
4.6k or so in 3dmark05.

doom 3 runs like a dream, but i was having a problem with farcry.. i installed patch 1.1 to get rid of the bugged textures,a mnd 1.2 to use ps3.0, but farcry was running very poorly. Even with video sync on, polygons split (a LOT), and the lighting effects are bugged. It also crashed, completely freezing the system, on several occasions. Also, in 3dmark05, i noticed that polygons were splitting too, suggesting that it may be an overall problem rather than jsut a problem with farcry?

I tried reinstalling farcry with only patch 1.1 installed, but the problem persisted. Other games, such as doom 3, need for speed underground, halo, and ut2004 seemed to work fine.. When i put my 9800xt back into my system, farcry ran perfectly well...

My system:

Athlon XP 3000+ (2.17 ghz)
1 gig ram (jkingston value ram ddr400 pc3200 512mbx2 @ 166mhz (333 mhz fsb dual channel)
MSI K7N2 Delta (nforce 2 ultra 400 chipset)
PNY geforce 6800 GT 256mb

Any advice on what could be wrong + how to sort it out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time and help in advance :p

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
Try formating

Click <font color=blue><A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">HERE</A></font color=blue> if you real<b>l</b>y are an <font color=red>idiot</font color=red>.

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Try running DriverCleaner or Driver Detonator to get rid of the ATI driver fragments that hang around. Then reinstall the nVidia driver

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X200)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win2K sp4

ohnoesaz

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
If I were you id reformat the drive and lose everything.

Example: When I went from an Nvidia MX440 to a 9700 pro I noticed an increase. Then I did driver cleaner and noticed a better increase, including in 3dmark01 (at the time). Then I reformatted, and jumped an insane 4000 points off of a fresh install.

Driver cluttering is a killer of performance.

Also let me throw in that my 6800GT SCREAMS on farcry full settings, but I did a fresh reformat since I learned my lesson already.

RichPLS

Champion
Then your 6800GT video card just sux then.

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
Zal I recently picked up far cry and have been having a few problems (I also have a 6800 GT). My card had a pretty high overclock for air cooling, even though the overclock would pass torture tests and repeat sessions of 3dmark05, playing farcry for 45 minutes plus would cause my system to either reboot or the game to close and to shell to windows. After I turned down my overclock to reasonable levels ive been having no problems at all.

If your overclocked try tunning it done, maybe making a seperate setting for farcry, Or if your not maybe the card is just heating up try improving case flow making some space under the card. Far Cry is working my system like a red headed step child and im loving it, its helping me find weakness that all the fancy stress tests and benchmarks arnt. Water cooling??? =O

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel 400 Mhz(222),Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT

Im playing on very high settings and the card is kickin serious pixel, even after dropping from 423 to 405 core.

As a off note, Id just like to add how god damed shocked I am at this game. After playing doom 3 and Starwars Battlefronts etc etc, Farcry just seems like such a huge leap ahead of everything else it seems like a game that was brought to us from the future, I cant belive how far ahead / awsome / advanced Farcry is from the competition... Its like people driving model T fords and having a porsche 911 carerra come screaming by, Its no contest really, Hail CryTek!!!!