Solved

Y580 Resoultion

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Screen Resolution
  • Laptops
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
August 20, 2012 9:43:52 PM

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/webca/L...

My question is; is it worth the extra $200.00 for the upgraded screen resolution, i will be using this for school (autocad and other demanding programs) and also light gaming as i have a desktop at home for the majority of gaming. Thanks!

More about : y580 resoultion

August 20, 2012 9:54:01 PM

this laptop is overkill,the best cheap efficient gaming laptop is a laptop with AMD A8-3520M which it have best integrated graphics card in the world
m
l
August 20, 2012 9:55:23 PM

I'm not so concerned to buying a cheap laptop, as to saving $200.00 on one in regards to having a better screen resolution :) 
m
l
Related resources
August 20, 2012 10:09:22 PM

a laptop with A8-3520 will be enough for 1280 resolution with maxed out settings and it will be enough for most workloads then keep high multitasking workloads for desktop, but if you dont care about money the laptop you picked is good.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 20, 2012 10:17:07 PM

those laptops all have 660m's, which arent really comparable to some junk built in video, so i dont really know why you would bring that up.
m
l

Best solution

August 20, 2012 10:17:08 PM

It's very hard for us to determine whether the resolution upgrade will be "worth it" for you. Will you notice the resolution? Probably, though at 15" it might not be as noticeable as you are hoping. Then again, 1080p looks pretty slick on my 1920x1080 monitor (23") so it might be exactly what you are looking for. Will you be able to game at 1080p? Yes, the 660M is capable of 1080p with some settings adjustments. Look up some 660M benchmarks to see exactly what kind of settings you should expect if gaming is important to you.

I would highly recommend going to your local laptop retailer (Best Buy and such) and compare the resolutions in question to determine if it is worth $200.

EDIT: Compare the resolutions on 15" laptops if you can, because pixels will look bigger on bigger screens of the same resolution.
August 20, 2012 10:17:48 PM

Best answer selected by mbooth.
m
l
August 20, 2012 10:18:40 PM

PlusOne said:
It's very hard for us to determine whether the resolution upgrade will be "worth it" for you. Will you notice the resolution? Probably, though at 15" it might not be as noticeable as you are hoping. Then again, 1080p looks pretty slick on my 1920x1080 monitor (23") so it might be exactly what you are looking for. Will you be able to game at 1080p? Yes, the 660M is capable of 1080p with some settings adjustments. Look up some 660M benchmarks to see exactly what kind of settings you should expect if gaming is important to you.

I would highly recommend going to your local laptop retailer (Best Buy and such) and compare the resolutions in question to determine if it is worth $200.

Thanks! :) 
m
l
August 20, 2012 10:48:27 PM

Yeah you're welcome.

Personally I would say that if you have the cash, it would be worth it. Then again, some (including myself, to a certain degree) would recommend a solid state drive to help boot time before a resolution bump, although that is an entirely different cost/benefit conversation (not to mention you can upgrade to an SSD much more easily than upgrading your resolution).

:)  hope you enjoy the new laptop!
m
l
August 20, 2012 11:05:31 PM

PlusOne said:
Yeah you're welcome.

Personally I would say that if you have the cash, it would be worth it. Then again, some (including myself, to a certain degree) would recommend a solid state drive to help boot time before a resolution bump, although that is an entirely different cost/benefit conversation (not to mention you can upgrade to an SSD much more easily than upgrading your resolution).

:)  hope you enjoy the new laptop!

I have decided on the 7200rpm 500gig with the lower resolution and if i find that it doesn't meet my expectations to install my own screen 1920 x 1080 :)  as the the SSD, that will come as well. this will be a custom powerhouse with quite the bang for buck ratio haha
m
l
!