today's automatic update: problem...........

My computer informed me today (courtesy of a small yellow shield at the
bottom of my screen) that "updates had been downloaded and were ready to be
installed".
Taking this advice, I duly "clicked" to start the process and restarted my
PC when instructed to do so.

Since doing so, my computer is incredibly slow - particularly when trying to
open internet pages. I just can't believe it. Before the update was
installed, it was lightning quick (on ADSL).

My question is two fold:
1. How can I find out exactly "what" things are being installed and / or
modified PRIOR to installing them
and (more importantly now I feel)
2. Is there a way to "un-update" In other words (and I am specifically
referring to this last one) can I get back to my pre-update set-up?

Many thanks for your help with the very annoying situation!

Kind regards,
Mike

Same here it really has my comuter bogged down

Belle

--
"Mike Redman" <onlyfor@newsgroupposting.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> My computer informed me today (courtesy of a small yellow shield at the
> bottom of my screen) that "updates had been downloaded and were ready to
> be installed".
> Taking this advice, I duly "clicked" to start the process and restarted my
> PC when instructed to do so.
>
> Since doing so, my computer is incredibly slow - particularly when trying
> to open internet pages. I just can't believe it. Before the update was
> installed, it was lightning quick (on ADSL).
>
> My question is two fold:
> 1. How can I find out exactly "what" things are being installed and / or
> modified PRIOR to installing them
> and (more importantly now I feel)
> 2. Is there a way to "un-update" In other words (and I am specifically
> referring to this last one) can I get back to my pre-update set-up?
>
> Many thanks for your help with the very annoying situation!
>
> Kind regards,
> Mike

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

You can uninstall Critical updates through Control Panel / Add or Remove
Programs. They also create a system restore point. You can see the last
update installed by looking at the names of RP's in System Restore. I
believe they are also shown in Event Viewer also.
It is an annoying weakness in the auto download process that you can't tell
what was downloaded except by actually running it and seeing what it's
installing as they take place. An option like a right click menu to list
downloaded items would be a good addition.
--

"Mike Redman" <onlyfor@newsgroupposting.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> My computer informed me today (courtesy of a small yellow shield at the
> bottom of my screen) that "updates had been downloaded and were ready to
> be installed".
> Taking this advice, I duly "clicked" to start the process and restarted my
> PC when instructed to do so.
>
> Since doing so, my computer is incredibly slow - particularly when trying
> to open internet pages. I just can't believe it. Before the update was
> installed, it was lightning quick (on ADSL).
>
> My question is two fold:
> 1. How can I find out exactly "what" things are being installed and / or
> modified PRIOR to installing them
> and (more importantly now I feel)
> 2. Is there a way to "un-update" In other words (and I am specifically
> referring to this last one) can I get back to my pre-update set-up?
>
> Many thanks for your help with the very annoying situation!
>
> Kind regards,
> Mike

Today's update was an MSI fix, I can't imagine why it would have slowed
normal activity.

--
Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
http://www.writebynight.com
e-card JerryS https://ecardfile.com/
"Mike Redman" <onlyfor@newsgroupposting.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> My computer informed me today (courtesy of a small yellow shield at the
> bottom of my screen) that "updates had been downloaded and were ready to
> be installed".
> Taking this advice, I duly "clicked" to start the process and restarted my
> PC when instructed to do so.
>
> Since doing so, my computer is incredibly slow - particularly when trying
> to open internet pages. I just can't believe it. Before the update was
> installed, it was lightning quick (on ADSL).
>
> My question is two fold:
> 1. How can I find out exactly "what" things are being installed and / or
> modified PRIOR to installing them
> and (more importantly now I feel)
> 2. Is there a way to "un-update" In other words (and I am specifically
> referring to this last one) can I get back to my pre-update set-up?
>
> Many thanks for your help with the very annoying situation!
>
> Kind regards,
> Mike

Maybe the easiest way for most people in your situation is to go to
windowsupdate.Microsoft.com and in the left column click & look at installed
updates. Should be able to figure out what they gave you and what it does.
Then a little search at support.Microsoft.com with the 'update number slows
down computer' or something describing the problem would turn up specifics
and a work around... maybe (might get a note, known problem, we're working
on it, then just uninstall the dang thing)