Sign in with
Your question

Is it Video Card or Memory crashing me?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 12, 2004 1:26:02 PM

I recently have been crashing when playing BF1942- something has "gone bad" in the system because I used to play for hours with no problems- then suddenly I can't play for more than 15 minutes....

All was good.. then at the last LAN party it started to freeze up while we were playing the big game- has not been good since... I can play movies, internet, run Prime95 burn-in tester with no problems, but when I play DC- the screen goes to "no signal" all the fans are still running, but the HD and CPU are not responding... hitting reset does nothing, turning off the power on the back of the tower and turning it back on turns on the fans/lights, but the computer does not boot... I have to disconnect the main power and wait a few seconds before my computer will reboot after this type of failure... so there is some reset switch that requires a power disconnect...

Due to other issues- I have replaced the MB- the old MB and this MB both fail under the same conditions- so I don't think it is related to the MB... and I have checked all of my connections, and have multiple fans, blowing in the front and out the back..

The remainin Hardware is as follows

Corsair Value Select Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200
Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper threading
SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9700PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP
420W power supply (plenty of juice!)
(yeah I am not rich- so i cut some corners...)

Any advice or further questioning on my system would be greatly appreciated.
October 12, 2004 4:28:32 PM

All power supplies aren't created equal. Is it a name brand like Antec?

Generic 420w Power Supplies can do this sort of thing...

October 12, 2004 4:39:18 PM

heya roboleg;

The question isnt how much max wattage you have, but how much continuous wattage does it output. Is it a quality Power Supply, like a Fortron Source or Antec True Power?
Does it output 420w continuous or 420w max? There is a difference.
Quality Matters, you cant say "plently of juice" and leave it at that.

It is highly likely that your PSU is the problem.
I would try a diffferent PSU in the machine and see if it fixes the problem.

<b><font color=blue>Co-Founder and Administrator of Toms Hardware IRC</font color=blue></b>
<b><font color=red>
Server: hub1.oddnet.net
Channel: #Tomshardware
</b></font color=red>
Related resources
October 12, 2004 5:50:55 PM

Thanks XeenRecoil-

Interesting that you think it is the PSU- I bought the Raidmax "gaming" tower and it came with the 420W PSU- The computer is at home right now- but I looked up the specs on the PSU and this is what is listed by Raidmax for the 868- ATX 12V 420 watts power supply included (sounds generic)

I will look at the case tonight and see what the specs are on the sticker-

I will throw this out too- the monitor is a 18" LCD that a friend gave me for free :o ) - because.... it would blink to a yellow hue infrequently- I have noticed that over the past couple of months that not only does it blink yellow but also a purple hue... related to the PSU to the video card? Just wondered if this is related or unrelated!!

Thanks!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by roboleg on 10/12/04 01:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 12, 2004 10:54:19 PM

No matter what the problem is those generico psu's can be deadly, it would be good to replace even if its not the problem, before it becomes one.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel 400 Mhz(222),Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2004 12:33:26 AM

You'll see lots of specs on the side of the power supply telling you what the rated loads are. And you might even find a couple guys in here telling you to read them. Of course that's all wrong.

You see, every company decides for itself their testing standards. Some dealers say "this one is UL listed" but that just means the UL made sure it wouldn't catch on fire!

Chances are you have blown capacitors in your power supply. I fix power supplies for a local dealer, $10 a shot, takes around 15 minutes (and I scrap old low-power units for capacitors). I've seen enough to know that with some companies you simply can't believe anything they say.

Now go buy yourself some of those 400W (PMPO) speakers for $15 at a junk store and find out if they put out more than 3W per channel...and then you'll understand how this game works.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!