Pagefile.sys entry contains a nonvalid link

May 19, 2005 4:10:03 PM

I had a system lockup the other day while printing a large word file in
acrobat.

Upon restart, the autochk scan wants to run, fine with me, but it wont scan
beyond about 20% and states: (quote)

"the \pagefile.sys entry contains a nonvalid link"

"the size of the \pagefile.sys entry is not valid"

"\recycled\dc11.hdmp is crosslinked on allocation unit 563200"

------------------------

any suggestions ???
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 6:46:38 PM

How to Clear the Windows Paging File at Shutdown
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314834

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"STOKJEEP" wrote:

| I had a system lockup the other day while printing a large word file in
| acrobat.
|
| Upon restart, the autochk scan wants to run, fine with me, but it wont scan
| beyond about 20% and states: (quote)
|
| "the \pagefile.sys entry contains a nonvalid link"
|
| "the size of the \pagefile.sys entry is not valid"
|
| "\recycled\dc11.hdmp is crosslinked on allocation unit 563200"
|
| ------------------------
|
| any suggestions ???
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 3:53:55 AM

"STOKJEEP" <STOKJEEP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I had a system lockup the other day while printing a large word file in
> acrobat.
>
> Upon restart, the autochk scan wants to run, fine with me, but it wont
scan
> beyond about 20% and states: (quote)
>
> "the \pagefile.sys entry contains a nonvalid link"
>
> "the size of the \pagefile.sys entry is not valid"
>
> "\recycled\dc11.hdmp is crosslinked on allocation unit 563200"
>
> ------------------------
>
> any suggestions ???

Boot Windows.
Under Performance options:
- Create 2nd temporary paging file on another partition/disk.
- Delete current corrupted paging file.
Reboot.
Run disk check + fix errors on partition/disk of corrupted paging file.
When fixed, under Performance options
- Create paging file on fixed partion/disk.
- Delete temporary paging file.
Reboot.

HTH,
John7
May 20, 2005 3:53:56 AM

The reponse I got from Carey worked out perfect - but thx for the reply !

Sean

"John7" wrote:

> "STOKJEEP" <STOKJEEP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I had a system lockup the other day while printing a large word file in
> > acrobat.
> >
> > Upon restart, the autochk scan wants to run, fine with me, but it wont
> scan
> > beyond about 20% and states: (quote)
> >
> > "the \pagefile.sys entry contains a nonvalid link"
> >
> > "the size of the \pagefile.sys entry is not valid"
> >
> > "\recycled\dc11.hdmp is crosslinked on allocation unit 563200"
> >
> > ------------------------
> >
> > any suggestions ???
>
> Boot Windows.
> Under Performance options:
> - Create 2nd temporary paging file on another partition/disk.
> - Delete current corrupted paging file.
> Reboot.
> Run disk check + fix errors on partition/disk of corrupted paging file.
> When fixed, under Performance options
> - Create paging file on fixed partion/disk.
> - Delete temporary paging file.
> Reboot.
>
> HTH,
> John7

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 12:44:01 PM

The procedurre for clearing of the pagefile.sys worked as described in the MS
article THANKS !

Now two more things ...................

Should I reset the reg entry back to "0" like it was before ?

Defrag wont run all the way through, and I couldnt ( at least last nite )
boot the machine into safe mode - the machine stuck at the end of the long
string of loaded drivers that displays when you try to boot into safe.

Sean

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> How to Clear the Windows Paging File at Shutdown
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314834
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "STOKJEEP" wrote:
>
> | I had a system lockup the other day while printing a large word file in
> | acrobat.
> |
> | Upon restart, the autochk scan wants to run, fine with me, but it wont scan
> | beyond about 20% and states: (quote)
> |
> | "the \pagefile.sys entry contains a nonvalid link"
> |
> | "the size of the \pagefile.sys entry is not valid"
> |
> | "\recycled\dc11.hdmp is crosslinked on allocation unit 563200"
> |
> | ------------------------
> |
> | any suggestions ???

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 4:59:44 PM

Q: "Should I reset the reg entry back to "0" like it was before?"

A: Yes. Then perform a Disk Cleanup, a Checkdisk, then Defrag.

Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP