Pagefile.sys entry contains a nonvalid link

I had a system lockup the other day while printing a large word file in
acrobat.

Upon restart, the autochk scan wants to run, fine with me, but it wont scan
beyond about 20% and states: (quote)

"the \pagefile.sys entry contains a nonvalid link"

"the size of the \pagefile.sys entry is not valid"

"\recycled\dc11.hdmp is crosslinked on allocation unit 563200"

------------------------

any suggestions ???
5 answers Last reply
More about pagefile entry nonvalid link

    How to Clear the Windows Paging File at Shutdown
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314834

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "STOKJEEP" <STOKJEEP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I had a system lockup the other day while printing a large word file in
    > acrobat.
    >
    > Upon restart, the autochk scan wants to run, fine with me, but it wont
    scan
    > beyond about 20% and states: (quote)
    >
    > "the \pagefile.sys entry contains a nonvalid link"
    >
    > "the size of the \pagefile.sys entry is not valid"
    >
    > "\recycled\dc11.hdmp is crosslinked on allocation unit 563200"
    >
    > ------------------------
    >
    > any suggestions ???

    Boot Windows.
    Under Performance options:
    - Create 2nd temporary paging file on another partition/disk.
    - Delete current corrupted paging file.
    Reboot.
    Run disk check + fix errors on partition/disk of corrupted paging file.
    When fixed, under Performance options
    - Create paging file on fixed partion/disk.
    - Delete temporary paging file.
    Reboot.

    HTH,
    John7

    The reponse I got from Carey worked out perfect - but thx for the reply !

    Sean

    "John7" wrote:

    > "STOKJEEP" <STOKJEEP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I had a system lockup the other day while printing a large word file in
    > > acrobat.
    > >
    > > Upon restart, the autochk scan wants to run, fine with me, but it wont
    > scan
    > > beyond about 20% and states: (quote)
    > >
    > > "the \pagefile.sys entry contains a nonvalid link"
    > >
    > > "the size of the \pagefile.sys entry is not valid"
    > >
    > > "\recycled\dc11.hdmp is crosslinked on allocation unit 563200"
    > >
    > > ------------------------
    > >
    > > any suggestions ???
    >
    > Boot Windows.
    > Under Performance options:
    > - Create 2nd temporary paging file on another partition/disk.
    > - Delete current corrupted paging file.
    > Reboot.
    > Run disk check + fix errors on partition/disk of corrupted paging file.
    > When fixed, under Performance options
    > - Create paging file on fixed partion/disk.
    > - Delete temporary paging file.
    > Reboot.
    >
    > HTH,
    > John7

    The procedurre for clearing of the pagefile.sys worked as described in the MS
    article THANKS !

    Now two more things ...................

    Should I reset the reg entry back to "0" like it was before ?

    Defrag wont run all the way through, and I couldnt ( at least last nite )
    boot the machine into safe mode - the machine stuck at the end of the long
    string of loaded drivers that displays when you try to boot into safe.

    Sean

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > How to Clear the Windows Paging File at Shutdown
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314834
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "STOKJEEP" wrote:
    >
    > | I had a system lockup the other day while printing a large word file in
    > | acrobat.
    > |
    > | Upon restart, the autochk scan wants to run, fine with me, but it wont scan
    > | beyond about 20% and states: (quote)
    > |
    > | "the \pagefile.sys entry contains a nonvalid link"
    > |
    > | "the size of the \pagefile.sys entry is not valid"
    > |
    > | "\recycled\dc11.hdmp is crosslinked on allocation unit 563200"
    > |
    > | ------------------------
    > |
    > | any suggestions ???

    Q: "Should I reset the reg entry back to "0" like it was before?"

    A: Yes. Then perform a Disk Cleanup, a Checkdisk, then Defrag.

    Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
    to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

    How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "STOKJEEP" wrote:

    | The procedurre for clearing of the pagefile.sys worked as described in the MS
    | article THANKS !
    |
    | Now two more things ...................
    |
    | Should I reset the reg entry back to "0" like it was before ?
    |
    | Defrag wont run all the way through, and I couldnt ( at least last nite )
    | boot the machine into safe mode - the machine stuck at the end of the long
    | string of loaded drivers that displays when you try to boot into safe.
    |
    | Sean

Support Microsoft Pagefile Windows XP