Matching an Operating system CD to the machine it was inst..

Is there any way to compare the OS cd and computer to be sure you have the
correct OS cd ?

I have what I think is the correct OS cd for this laptop, but the "key"
found by the software util keyfinder and the "key" on the OS sticker on the
bottom of the machine dont match, and neother one works when I stick the OS
cd in the machine and try to do a repair installation.

Any suggestions ?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The Belarc Advisor may help www.belarc.com

"STOKJEEP" <STOKJEEP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to compare the OS cd and computer to be sure you have the
> correct OS cd ?
>
> I have what I think is the correct OS cd for this laptop, but the "key"
> found by the software util keyfinder and the "key" on the OS sticker on
> the
> bottom of the machine dont match, and neother one works when I stick the
> OS
> cd in the machine and try to do a repair installation.
>
> Any suggestions ?

Thx Jerry,

I tried the belarc advisor and it gives a fantastic amount of info about the
machine ( thanks for that link !!)

The key it shows for XP Pro, is the same one I found using the util.

It doesnt however seem to indicate anywhere I can check to see if the cd I
have and OS installation match.

Sean

"Jerry" wrote:

> The Belarc Advisor may help www.belarc.com
>
> "STOKJEEP" <STOKJEEP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there any way to compare the OS cd and computer to be sure you have the
> > correct OS cd ?
> >
> > I have what I think is the correct OS cd for this laptop, but the "key"
> > found by the software util keyfinder and the "key" on the OS sticker on
> > the
> > bottom of the machine dont match, and neother one works when I stick the
> > OS
> > cd in the machine and try to do a repair installation.
> >
> > Any suggestions ?

You could be OK.

If the OS was installed by the manufacturer/seller.

For example, on a Dell Computer the key located on the chassis does not
match the key displayed by KEYFINDER or BELARC.

--
Michael

"STOKJEEP" <STOKJEEP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to compare the OS CD and computer to be sure you have the
> correct OS CD ?
>
> I have what I think is the correct OS CD for this laptop, but the "key"
> found by the software util keyfinder and the "key" on the OS sticker on
> the
> bottom of the machine don't match, and neither one works when I stick the
> OS
> CD in the machine and try to do a repair installation.
>
> Any suggestions ?

I could be okay ............

I have had a few issues with this laptop ( see my other post today regarding
pagefile.sys) and am thinking a reformat would be best - but dont want to run
into an issue with correct vs incorrect keys.

The OS on this machine WAS installed by OEM ( Acer in this case ).

Sean

"Michael T" wrote:

> You could be OK.
>
> If the OS was installed by the manufacturer/seller.
>
> For example, on a Dell Computer the key located on the chassis does not
> match the key displayed by KEYFINDER or BELARC.
>
> --
> Michael
>
> "STOKJEEP" <STOKJEEP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there any way to compare the OS CD and computer to be sure you have the
> > correct OS CD ?
> >
> > I have what I think is the correct OS CD for this laptop, but the "key"
> > found by the software util keyfinder and the "key" on the OS sticker on
> > the
> > bottom of the machine don't match, and neither one works when I stick the
> > OS
> > CD in the machine and try to do a repair installation.
> >
> > Any suggestions ?

I might consider an XP Repair install first.

>I could be okay ............
>
> I have had a few issues with this laptop ( see my other post today
> regarding
> pagefile.sys) and am thinking a reformat would be best - but don't want to
> run
> into an issue with correct vs incorrect keys.
>
> The OS on this machine WAS installed by OEM ( Acer in this case ).
>
> Sean

I tried the regedt32 adjustment suggested in my post about my pagefile.sys
issue - it seems to have done the trick as far as my issue was concerned. (
1.46 GB in files recovered by chkdsk )

Sean

STOKJEEP wrote:
> Is there any way to compare the OS cd and computer to be sure you have the
> correct OS cd ?

You can't match a Product Key to a specific CD, no.

> I have what I think is the correct OS cd for this laptop, but the "key"
> found by the software util keyfinder and the "key" on the OS sticker on the
> bottom of the machine dont match, and neother one works when I stick the OS
> cd in the machine and try to do a repair installation.

If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and haven't since
reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably of the drive
image used at the factory and not your specific Product Key; therefore,
it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not be -- used for a
re-installation.

Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of
CD/license (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are
purchased. For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key won't work for any
retail version of WinXP Home, or for any version of WinXP Pro, and vice
versa. An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with a full version CD,
and vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to install a retail
product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an English CD.
Bottom line: Product Keys and CD types cannot be mixed & matched.

If the Product Keys you've tried don't work with the CD, than it's very
probably not the OEM CD required.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: