Problems with X800

G

Expert
Apr 1, 2001
Hey guys, bear with me here, it's my first post, blah blah blah, and I'm not too technologically sound, but I'm not totally clumsy fingered at computers either.

The problem I'm having is that whenever I play games, I always get a lower FPS than what OTHER people get, and it's always lower than the STANDARD. Often, I find other people with less powerful cards getting much higher framerates than me, even though we're both at the same graphical settings! Obviously, I'm not very happy about this, and I've decided to come to this forum for some help! (Sorry if this is off-topic, I thought it was the most relevant forum to post this into)

My system specs are:-

Processor: Athlon 64 3200+ (Newcastle Core)
Motherboard: VIA K8T Neo
RAM: 1GB of OCZ RAM
HD: Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM HD
Graphics card: Original ATi X800 Pro, 256MB RAM, 4.9 Catalyst Drivers (Did a full clean install with Driver Cleaner)
PSU: Read from sticker of PSU; Enermax, AC INPUT - 115V/230V, 50-60 Hz, 10A/6A
Monitor Refresh Rate: 80Hz

In my opinion, my computer is practically top of the line, so I shouldn't be experience any problems with games such as CS: S, Far Cry, Doom 3, etc. At the moment, my most concerned game is CS: Source, where when there's 20 people on screen I get 30-40 fps at best, and that's when there isn't action going on. My settings in CSS is:-

Resolution: 1024 x 768
Aspect Radio: Normal (4:3)
Everything on high except for Water Reflection, which is set at Reflect World.
AA + AF: 2x
Vertical Sync: Enabled

According to my friends, he has a 9800 XT, and he's getting 90-100FPS with the same settings. If you need any more information, I'll be more than happy to help!

Thanks for your time,
Rusty

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
Messing around for awhile and tweaking your system using a benchmark like 3dmark05 or 3dmark 03 helps alot. Trying diffrent drivers till you find one that works for you, defraggin your hard drive dont hurt, mess around with your vid card settings, alot of people are using mild to medium overclocks on their card. You cant really compare to other peoples systems beacuse you dont know what they could be doing, they can be overclocking everything, lying, both, who knows, you could 5 build identical systems and theyll all measure up diffrently. Your best bet is get a good benchmark and compare yourself to yourself, and try to improve off your stock score.

www.futuremark.com

Take a run, and maybe post your card settings and im sure people can help you more, its hard for them to help you just based off the frame rate you get in counterstrike. Run 3dmark and itll let you compare your system to other systems identical to yours, that way you can at least see if somethings wrong (ie: if your scoring thousands below everyone else at stock speeds).

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel 400 Mhz(222),Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rx7000 on 10/12/04 06:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Expert
Apr 1, 2001
I am going to download the non-pro/free versions of the software you mentioned, and I'm also going to borrow the Pro/Retail versions around 2 or 3 days later. Thanks for replying!

P.S. My friend's card wasn't overclocked

G

Expert
Apr 1, 2001
I downloaded the trial version of 3dMark05, patched it with the hotfix, did the test, and here's the result I got:-

3810 3DMarks

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Those 3DMarks are about right for the X800 Pro.

The CS:Source numbers do not look right.
(Did a full clean install with Driver Cleaner)
What do you mean? Did you reinstall Windows? Is there a patch for CS?

<A HREF="http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030512/geforce_fx_5900-10.html#doom_iii_special_preview" target="_new">GeForceFX 5900 Ultra: The Way FX is Meant to be Played!!</A>

G

Expert
Apr 1, 2001
What I mean is, I uninstalled the drivers and software using ATI Uninstaller in "Add or Remove Programs". And then I restarted, rebooted in safe mode, and used Driver Cleaner to clean up whatever wasn't uninstalled.

georgebeee

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003
is your friend getting those fps with 20 people on the screen also? and you never had an nvidia card installed before this, right?

man who fart in church, sit in his own pew

G

Expert
Apr 1, 2001
My PC is BRAND new, as in custom built! And no, my friend with the 9800 is getting 90-100 fps with the same settings as me.

Just to experiment, I tuned down all the settings to low, turned off AA and AF, and on 20 people, I still got 50 fps. Also, although my score for 3DMark05 was "standard", the testing videoes ran at like 20 fps max =S

G

Expert
Apr 1, 2001
Did I post in the wrong forum, or are people just not very helpful when it comes to problems like this? I would REALLY appreciate it if someone helped me, I spend a lot of time and effort into getting the money for this card...

georgebeee

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003
yeah, what I asked is if your friend is getting about 100fps in the same place as you, with 20 people on the screen, or is he just filling you full of bs cause he's jealous of your card. is your friend's pc oc'd? not just his card, his cpu.

and if you're getting good numbers on your 3dmark 2005 then perhaps you just need to make sure your game is properly installed and patched

man who fart in church, sit in his own pew

Manhota

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004
Rusty mate. what operating system are u using?
if you have XP? have you got direct x 9.c? also have you downloaded service pack 2 yet?

Give me these ansewers asap, also the best guys in this forum are not glued to there pc`s all day they have lives mate so dont dis the form have patients lol please. thx

if you have all what i have siad above and you have patched that game like the good man above me siad.

THEN clean install ur operating system and make sure its XP.

Also i think your 3dmark05 score is pretty low condiering my spec.
click link
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=122636

AMD XP2600 Aero 7 cooler jet.
DFI Lanparty nforce 2 Ultra Version B motherboard.
512 333mhz [-peep-] ram need sum dual channel corsair.
Audigys sound with cambridge soundworks DTT3500.
2 X DVD 8x + - writer liteon
Thermaltake Butterfly 480watt supply 7LEDs LCDtemp
and 2 adjustable fans
Thermaltake Xaser III ALU case 4 adjustable fans with LCD temp display. 2 neons.
6800 128 Galaxy OC to 405*805 www.galaxy-hk.com

i believe u do have a problem but i need more details ur card should beat my card down like a dog, lol.

takecare mate dont brake ur pc yet.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Corsair_XL.html

G

Expert
Apr 1, 2001
It belongs over 20FPS, that I know =D

This isn't just happening with one game, it's nearly every game. I would post in the ATi forums, but they don't seem to have one...

It's just so frustrating when someone who has a 9800 could score at least 40fps over me. I just want to get past 60fps guys... what can I do to provide more information about my card?

G

Expert
Apr 1, 2001
Guys, I'm getting desparate here... any more suggestions? Right now the only thing I can THINK of is waiting for the 4.10 drivers.

RichPLS

Champion
Well, wait no longer, they have been out for a week.

G

Expert
Apr 1, 2001
It seems the 4.10 Drivers HAVE NOT solved my problems. I still have low framerates in CS: S and sub-standard framerates in other games.

However, when was doing a full uninstall of my ATi drivers, and I used Driver Cleaner 3.3, there seemed to be some left over files from Nvidia Drivers!

What I suspect is that the computer was used with a Nvidia card AS WELL as a X800 for the 24-hour burn-in test. (My computer retailer does this test to ensure the custom built computer works perfectly)

I have heard problems with Nvidia cards, and maybe I had a Nvidia card on my system before, without my knowledge. Could this be the source of all my problems, and what can I do to remedy this problem?

RichPLS

Champion
You could try uninstalling your ATI drivers, then using Nvidea's driver cleainer utility.
Then reinstall ATI's 4.1 back.

G

Expert
Apr 1, 2001
Sorry I was late getting back to you, I had a few things to take care of... =|

Anyway, I tried your suggestion and I still recieve the same frame rates, with absolutely no improvement.

pauldh

Illustrious
Make sure the motherboards chipset drivers were loaded. That should be the first thing done after windows was installed and should be done before the ATI drivers were installed. You could check for a newer version of the chipset drivers also.

Try sliding the ATI quality settings (in ATI control Panel) down to highest performance (turning off AA/AF altogther) and see what fps you get. Was it set to blend? (sets AA/AF to application preference) If you had it slid up to Highest quality, you are forcing high AA/AF no matter what your in game settings are. See if you get a huger perfomance boost or not.

If you are using integrated audio, that robs some performance over a dedicated sound card. But shouldn't rob that much. IMO a gaming rig should have a sound card not integrated audio.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

G

Expert
Apr 1, 2001
All my ATi settings are set to "Custom" and "Application Preference". My Mobo's chipset drivers are up to date, and I'm using a Audigy sound card...