ChkDsk on startup freezes (always do ChkDsk after standby)..

Hi,

Everytime my laptop went into standby, when I restart the laptop,
Windows will inevitably start to do a ChkDsk.. That's kind of annoying.

More annoying than that, it won't be able to finish the chkdsk... Even
if I let it there for hours, it will be stuck somewhere in Index
verification or recovering orphaned files or else. I hear the hard
drive working but it's stuck there.

The only solution I've found is to boot with a ERD commander CD and do
the check disk from there. Even there, it sometime freezes. I close the

chkdsk window and restart chkdsk one or two additional time.

It's very annoying...

Any ideas?

AMD athlon XP 3200+ Laptop
2GB RAM
Windows XP SP2

neilsanner
6 answers Last reply
More about chkdsk startup freezes always chkdsk standby

    Neil,

    Possible problem with the hard drive? Try and recertify the drive with the
    manufacturers software. It's probably not the problem but at least it
    eliminates possible hardware malfunction.

    After that I'd look at the filesystem it self. I myself am having a problem
    with NTFS right now where it won't let me delete files because of the
    corruptions in the meta table information within NTFS. Very rare and stupid.

    Did it do this from the time you got the laptop? or is it a new issue that
    has cropped up?

    Nathan

    <neilsanner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Everytime my laptop went into standby, when I restart the laptop,
    > Windows will inevitably start to do a ChkDsk.. That's kind of annoying.
    >
    > More annoying than that, it won't be able to finish the chkdsk... Even
    > if I let it there for hours, it will be stuck somewhere in Index
    > verification or recovering orphaned files or else. I hear the hard
    > drive working but it's stuck there.
    >

    > The only solution I've found is to boot with a ERD commander CD and do
    > the check disk from there. Even there, it sometime freezes. I close the
    >
    > chkdsk window and restart chkdsk one or two additional time.
    >

    > It's very annoying...
    >

    > Any ideas?
    >

    > AMD athlon XP 3200+ Laptop
    > 2GB RAM
    > Windows XP SP2
    >

    > neilsanner

    Hi Nathan,

    Yes it started doing this pretty much since the beginning. I know their
    is 4 bad clusters on the drive I neglected to fix because of a lack of
    time. I could fix it with the hard drive manufacturer's software.

    Is it possible that this would be the source of the problem?

    neilsanner

    I've fixed the bad cluster by erasing the hard drive completely using
    the manufacturer low-level erase utility.

    I then restored the system with ghost (I had created an image before
    the erasing).

    The same thing still happens. Chkdsk is running on all startups untill
    it is fixed with the chkdsk of ERD commander.

    Neil,

    I know this is going to be a pain, but can you restore your laptop with the
    restore disks (I know you have the ghost backup copy now..) This will
    eliminate any problems with the exisiting software.

    It's time consuming but if you have sucessfully repaired the disk ... and
    the problem exists, then we must eliminate a software issue. If it still
    doesn't work then it could be that the drive is still in error, that there
    is a problem with a chipset... the problems could go levels deep ... or it
    could still be fairly simple.

    Chin Up, and let me know how it goes.

    > I've fixed the bad cluster by erasing the hard drive completely using
    > the manufacturer low-level erase utility.
    >
    > I then restored the system with ghost (I had created an image before
    > the erasing).
    >
    > The same thing still happens. Chkdsk is running on all startups untill
    > it is fixed with the chkdsk of ERD commander.

    Hi Nathan,

    Finally I reformatted and did a fresh install with a different Windows
    disk (including SP2).

    The problem is gone!!!

    Thanks man!

    No problems anything I can do to help.

    > Hi Nathan,
    >
    > Finally I reformatted and did a fresh install with a different Windows
    > disk (including SP2).
    >
    > The problem is gone!!!
    >
    > Thanks man!

Chkdsk Laptops Windows XP