Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ChkDsk on startup freezes (always do ChkDsk after standby)..

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 19, 2005 5:16:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

Everytime my laptop went into standby, when I restart the laptop,
Windows will inevitably start to do a ChkDsk.. That's kind of annoying.

More annoying than that, it won't be able to finish the chkdsk... Even
if I let it there for hours, it will be stuck somewhere in Index
verification or recovering orphaned files or else. I hear the hard
drive working but it's stuck there.


The only solution I've found is to boot with a ERD commander CD and do
the check disk from there. Even there, it sometime freezes. I close the

chkdsk window and restart chkdsk one or two additional time.


It's very annoying...


Any ideas?


AMD athlon XP 3200+ Laptop
2GB RAM
Windows XP SP2


neilsanner
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2005 12:25:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Neil,

Possible problem with the hard drive? Try and recertify the drive with the
manufacturers software. It's probably not the problem but at least it
eliminates possible hardware malfunction.

After that I'd look at the filesystem it self. I myself am having a problem
with NTFS right now where it won't let me delete files because of the
corruptions in the meta table information within NTFS. Very rare and stupid.

Did it do this from the time you got the laptop? or is it a new issue that
has cropped up?

Nathan

<neilsanner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1116533764.801157.290900@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> Everytime my laptop went into standby, when I restart the laptop,
> Windows will inevitably start to do a ChkDsk.. That's kind of annoying.
>
> More annoying than that, it won't be able to finish the chkdsk... Even
> if I let it there for hours, it will be stuck somewhere in Index
> verification or recovering orphaned files or else. I hear the hard
> drive working but it's stuck there.
>
>
> The only solution I've found is to boot with a ERD commander CD and do
> the check disk from there. Even there, it sometime freezes. I close the
>
> chkdsk window and restart chkdsk one or two additional time.
>
>
> It's very annoying...
>
>
> Any ideas?
>
>
> AMD athlon XP 3200+ Laptop
> 2GB RAM
> Windows XP SP2
>
>
> neilsanner
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2005 7:59:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Nathan,

Yes it started doing this pretty much since the beginning. I know their
is 4 bad clusters on the drive I neglected to fix because of a lack of
time. I could fix it with the hard drive manufacturer's software.

Is it possible that this would be the source of the problem?

neilsanner
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 23, 2005 12:07:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I've fixed the bad cluster by erasing the hard drive completely using
the manufacturer low-level erase utility.

I then restored the system with ghost (I had created an image before
the erasing).

The same thing still happens. Chkdsk is running on all startups untill
it is fixed with the chkdsk of ERD commander.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 24, 2005 3:44:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Neil,

I know this is going to be a pain, but can you restore your laptop with the
restore disks (I know you have the ghost backup copy now..) This will
eliminate any problems with the exisiting software.

It's time consuming but if you have sucessfully repaired the disk ... and
the problem exists, then we must eliminate a software issue. If it still
doesn't work then it could be that the drive is still in error, that there
is a problem with a chipset... the problems could go levels deep ... or it
could still be fairly simple.

Chin Up, and let me know how it goes.

Nathan

<neilsanner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1116858896.705914.294880@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> I've fixed the bad cluster by erasing the hard drive completely using
> the manufacturer low-level erase utility.
>
> I then restored the system with ghost (I had created an image before
> the erasing).
>
> The same thing still happens. Chkdsk is running on all startups untill
> it is fixed with the chkdsk of ERD commander.
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 24, 2005 4:19:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Nathan,

Finally I reformatted and did a fresh install with a different Windows
disk (including SP2).

The problem is gone!!!

Thanks man!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 25, 2005 12:09:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

No problems anything I can do to help.

Nathan

<neilsanner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1116962341.922774.103410@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Hi Nathan,
>
> Finally I reformatted and did a fresh install with a different Windows
> disk (including SP2).
>
> The problem is gone!!!
>
> Thanks man!
>
!