8X Pro card in 8X AGP slot

firebirdude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004
Sorry for the newbie question guys, but I'm new.:) If my motherboard doesn't have a 8X PRO agp slot, can I use a PRO video card? Example, I have an 8X agp slot and I want to use the 9800Pro video card.....????

AMD 2800+ (Barton Core)
Asus A7N8X
2 X 512MB Mushkin RAM
Sapphire ATI 9800PRO

Blasphemy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
Yes I believe any 8x video card can be run at 4x but of course it won't preform as well. Same with 4x video cards in a 8x slot. it's all compatible

----------------------------------------------------
AMD Athlon XP 2100+ stock
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
1GB generic RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 360/335

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LMAO, I've been telling people this for 3 years now, the 9800 "Pro" is NOT an AGP Pro card, it's a standard AGP card! It's compatable with ALL AGP equiped motherboards.

AGP PRO (which the 9800 Pro isn't) adds extra power pins to the slot, if the 9800 Pro really was AGP Pro it wouldn't need that 4-pin power connector.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Yes, Crashman is right. There are tons of people out there with the following system: Athlon XP, Asus A7N8X, and 9800 Pro's. It will work fine. People only have problems when you try to run an old 3.3 V AGP card in a 1.5 V slot. But any card that is AGP4x or higher will work in any AGP 8X board.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 9800 and 9800 Pro are all AGP Universal, which means they work in all AGP slots and support 3.3v and 1.5v signals. Being AGP8x they also work with 0.8v signals.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

firebirdude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004
..... The A7N8X DOES have an 8X AGP PRO slot... so that's exactly what I'm getting at. And I'm not trying to run an 8X card at 4X..... Crash, I understand the extra power pins. Just wondering if all Pro video cards required them or what? 8X non-pro slot will run a pro video card perfectly? Thanks for all your help guys.:)

AMD 2800+ (Barton Core)
Asus A7N8X
2 X 512MB Mushkin RAM
Sapphire ATI 9800PRO

And what Crashman is getting at is that AGP PRO isn't necessary, which answers your first question.

As for using an 8X card in a PRO slot that works too. AGP PRO slots are made to handle the extra power of WORKSTATION cards, not any card that has 'pro' in the name, in fact I don't know of a recent proffesional workstation card that does have 'pro' in the name.

Workstation cards are like the 3Dlabs Wildcat series, the nV Quadro series, and the ATI FireGL series of cards.

So to clear it up further, the ATI R9800Pro will work in a regular 4X AGP slot, 8X AGP slot and a 4/8X AGP PRO slot; but an AGP PRO slot is not NEEDED nor even recommended really.

Basically the 8X AGPPRO slot is just an 8X AGP slot with more power capacity (50W or 110W depending on type). And you will still need to plug in the extra power cable for the R9800 even with the greater potential at the slot, because that's the way the card is designed.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 9800 Pro isn't a Pro Card. It works in any AGP slot.

If I asked you "I'm buying a 5800 Ultra, but my board doesn't have an Ultra slot, will it fit"? You'd say "No, Ultra is just a name, there is no such thing as an Ultra slot". And I'm telling you ALMOST the same thing, the 9800 Pro is just a NAME, it doesn't refer to any particular slot.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not to forget that the 9800 Pro is also the fastest card to work in an AGP2x slot!

Yeah I wasn't sure about that simply because ATI's literature doesn't mention it (they do mention 2X support for the R9700Pro), so I didn't want to confuse things in case there was some change to the chip/card features.

Always nice to have someone else with a little more certitude of things to make the point for you. :wink:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's my fault in a way, but really it isn't:

ATI has a HUGE documentation problem! They originally listed the AIW 9600 Pro as 2x compatable. When I received the card it wasn't even 3.3v keyed. ie, it won't even FIT INTO an AGP 2x slot.

So being a good reviewer I contacted ATI about the discrepency. And basically, they removed 2x compatability from the documentation for ALL their cards current at that time. That included the 9800 Pro.

So how do you know who's right? Well, if you didn't know the reason behind the documentation problem, you'd be able to look at a photo of the card and see if it has 1 or 2 key slots.

you'd be able to look at a photo of the card and see if it has 1 or 2 key slots.
True, but you're gonna make me look at pictures of the R9800PRO and then I've got to return to my poor R9600P?

Man you're cruel! :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not only am I cruel, but I'm going to be requesting ATI's first HDTV compliant AIW card, and it won't cost me a dime!

You BA$$TURD! :tongue:
BTW, who you gonna sell/give your current one too? I'm seriously not interested for myself, just curious if you already thought of this?

BTW, I just looked at <A HREF="http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Video-Cards/Gainward-TV2GO-Review/" target="_new">THIS</A> as and idea for my Laptop. I want cheap USB2.0 solution. I like ATI but if this is $50CDN cheaper, it's worth it to me as long as quality is close to equal.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 10/14/04 00:16 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It looks pretty good! Does that use hardware compression or stream uncompressed and force you to use software compression?

At any rate, I think he misjudged the market for the product: Too many people are stupid enough to buy a SFF PC and a good sound card, and a standalone video card, only to discover they don't have a PCI slot for the tuner card!

TRENDING THREADS