computer shutdown-unable to get into computer

I have a emachine, S2485, 80g hard dr, 512 mb ddr.

My problem is i can't get it to sign on. When it is turned on it goes to
this screen.

Stating: We opoligize for the inconvenience windows did not start
sucessfuly. With options as to the reasons... it further gives options to
start, normally, safe mode, safe mode w/networking or command prompt, or last
known good configuration.

However, none work-- it keeps coming back to the above screen... what is the
problem? How do I get into my files in order to troubleshoot?

Please help... just recently had it fixed where my fans had burned out due
to smoke/nicotine. Had an exhaust fan added. They are all working (3)
computer stays on instead of turning off immediatley when the fans weren't
working, I'm now confused.

"anth7149" <anth7149@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a emachine, S2485, 80g hard dr, 512 mb ddr.
>
>My problem is i can't get it to sign on. When it is turned on it goes to
>this screen.
>
>Stating: We opoligize for the inconvenience windows did not start
>sucessfuly. With options as to the reasons... it further gives options to
>start, normally, safe mode, safe mode w/networking or command prompt, or last
>known good configuration.
>
>However, none work-- it keeps coming back to the above screen... what is the
>problem? How do I get into my files in order to troubleshoot?
>
>Please help... just recently had it fixed where my fans had burned out due
>to smoke/nicotine. Had an exhaust fan added. They are all working (3)
>computer stays on instead of turning off immediatley when the fans weren't
>working, I'm now confused.

If your cooling fans failed then it is possible that some serious
damage was done due to overheating and your problems could be the
result of this.

I believe that eMachines does not supply a Windows XP Installation CD
but uses a "System Recovery" disk instead. Using that would result in
the wipeout of your hard drive and the loss of all your data files and
then a factory fresh copy of Windows XP, as it was when the computer
was new, would be put onto the drive. We don't want to do that
except as a very last resort.

You apparently have access to another computer. Use that computer to
download the boot diskette images for you Windows XP version from
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=310994 and create the boot diskette
set.

Boot your computer with these diskettes and when it has finished and
is stopped at the A:\> prompt enter the following command:

CHKDSK C: /R

That may fix the problem.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Thank You! I tried your suggestion, my new computer is digital and doesn't
have a floppy drive, therefore I have to to to my sisters house to make
floppy disks. I made the disks and used them; however it goes through and
installs them and then asks me for a dvd rom disc of the same information-
which I don't have, and seem unable to be able to create one- it asks always
for floppy disks.

It states: Insert the cd labeled:

Windows xp home edition service pack 2 cd

into your cd-rom drive and press enter when ready

Why would it now ask for the same information on a cd that it just
installed/setup from the floppy boot discs?

My new computer is a emachine also, it is a T2862, 330 intel celeron d
processor, 256 mb ddr sdram, w/combo drive- 48x max write cd-rw and 16x max
read dvd it also has a usb port, sd/mmc/sm/ms/ms-pro and cf/microdrive and a
media reader 8 in 1.

I've tried to load the information onto a cruzer 128 mbsandisk, but,
couldn't get it to take the information... it seems to just use the floppy
and then asks for the other cd.

Is there anyway to connect the computers together and use this one to boot
the other or send the downloads it needs directly to it.

Would appreciate any other suggestions or solutions.

Thanks, Anthony