Removable drive activation issues

Nathan

Hello,

I am using a removeable hard drive with WinXP loaded on it. At this
particular college we have two computer labs with different hardware setups
in each lab. I have successfully configured hardware profiles on this
installation for each lab and have no problems in that regard. The problem I
*am* having is that whenever I move to the other machine windows detects the
"significant hardware change" and forces me to re-activate. How can I fix
this? We (the lab staff) are wanting to upgrade our removeable drives from
Win2k to XP but are having problems with the activation issues. The
operating system is fully licensed for this configuration on all machines.

The question: How do I keep windows from nagging me every time I change
labs? Is there some way to have the hardware profile switch the wpa.dbl and
wpa.bak files while booting? (I ask this because I've discovered that the
..dbl file is the activation for the current machine and the .bak file is the
activation for the other one, and if switched prior to switching machines,
activation issues do not occur). What I want is a hard drive that I can use
in either lab.

Thanks!

-Nathan

"Nathan" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am using a removeable hard drive with WinXP loaded on it. At this
> particular college we have two computer labs with different hardware
> setups in each lab. I have successfully configured hardware profiles on
> this installation for each lab and have no problems in that regard. The
> problem I *am* having is that whenever I move to the other machine windows
> detects the "significant hardware change" and forces me to re-activate.
> How can I fix this? We (the lab staff) are wanting to upgrade our
> removeable drives from Win2k to XP but are having problems with the
> activation issues. The operating system is fully licensed for this
> configuration on all machines.
>
> The question: How do I keep windows from nagging me every time I change
> labs? Is there some way to have the hardware profile switch the wpa.dbl
> and wpa.bak files while booting? (I ask this because I've discovered that
> the .dbl file is the activation for the current machine and the .bak file
> is the activation for the other one, and if switched prior to switching
> machines, activation issues do not occur). What I want is a hard drive
> that I can use in either lab.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Nathan

How many copies of XP do you have? A volume license doesn't have to be
activated. You could look into a volume license.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/programs/sa/saolsleacompare.mspx

Kerry

You'll have to purchase Volume Licensing versions of
Windows XP to avoid the Product Activation request.

How to Acquire Microsoft Product Licenses Through Microsoft's Volume Licensing Programs
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/howtoacquire.mspx

Deploying Windows XP Professional
http://labmice.techtarget.com/windowsxp/Install/deploy.htm

--