basic 11g solutions - any difference?

So after shopping around at the local Walmart and various computer stores,
I see the following basic 11g gear available:
Belkin
Linksys
D-Link
SMC

This is all just basic 11g stuff, none of the accelerated stuff.

So I'm wondering, do any of these products have any extra over the others
in terms of reliability or range? Different output levels? I'm tempted to
go with Linksys simply because it will stack on my existing Linksys BEFSR41
and the configuration will be similar too. But I would be interested to
know if one of the others perhaps has better reliability or range.

Another concern is conflicts. I read a lot about people's 2.4Ghz phones
conflicting with their wireless networks. But I've seen mention from a few
people here that they had no conflicts, and they were using Panasonic
Multitalk phones. Those are the same phones I am using so I am hopefull I
might be able to get this working with minimal conflicts.

Thanks in advance...

"Mr. Grinch" <grinch@hatespam.yucky> wrote in

> So I'm wondering, do any of these products have any extra over the
> others in terms of reliability or range? Different output levels?

There is a slight difference with range. Some products transmit at 15dBm
while others transmit at 19dDm+, however for home use the difference is
minor.

Other differences include the ability to create point to point wireless
links, point to multi-point links, and the abililty act as a repeater.

Some APs have SMNP monitoring while others do not.

But basically for home use all the APs are about the same.

> Another concern is conflicts. I read a lot about people's 2.4Ghz
> phones conflicting with their wireless networks. But I've seen
> mention from a few people here that they had no conflicts, and they
> were using Panasonic Multitalk phones. Those are the same phones I am
> using so I am hopefull I
> might be able to get this working with minimal conflicts.

Yup, I have no problems with my 802.11b network and my multitalks.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in

> "Mr. Grinch" <grinch@hatespam.yucky> wrote in
>
>> So I'm wondering, do any of these products have any extra over the
>> others in terms of reliability or range? Different output levels?
>
> There is a slight difference with range. Some products transmit at 15dBm
> while others transmit at 19dDm+, however for home use the difference is
> minor.
>
> Other differences include the ability to create point to point wireless
> links, point to multi-point links, and the abililty act as a repeater.
>
> Some APs have SMNP monitoring while others do not.
>
> But basically for home use all the APs are about the same.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of going the Linksys wireless router, v2
I hope, which gets the broadcom chipset and 18dbm transmit, I think,
according to the website. I can get the Belkin cheaper at Wallmart, same
chipset, but I'm familiar with the Linksys BEFSR41 and expect the
configuration similarity and stackability are worth a few bucks extra.

Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS