TECH: Centipede control panel not working

I have an upright Centipede that has been in storage for about two years. I
have it home now and am trying to fire it back up. It comes on and the sound
works, the video works fine, and the player 1 and 2 buttons work (it's set
for free play).

The trackball and fire button are unresponsive, completely.

It's been about 5 years since I worked on any arcade games and have
forgotten more than I remember. Can anyone suggest where I might start
looking for the cause of the problem? I appreciate any useful information,
even if it's just a couple of pointers to get the wheels rolling in my brain
again.

Paul Dunlap wrote:
> I have an upright Centipede that has been in storage for about two years. I
> have it home now and am trying to fire it back up. It comes on and the sound
> works, the video works fine, and the player 1 and 2 buttons work (it's set
> for free play).
>
> The trackball and fire button are unresponsive, completely.
>
> It's been about 5 years since I worked on any arcade games and have
> forgotten more than I remember. Can anyone suggest where I might start
> looking for the cause of the problem? I appreciate any useful information,
> even if it's just a couple of pointers to get the wheels rolling in my brain
> again.

Make sure the trackball wiring harness is plugged in. Re-seat it if
necessary. Reseat the edge connectors on the pcb as well.

John

have mice been feasting on the wiring harness?

"Paul Dunlap" <nunya.bizness@cox.net> wrote in message
> I have an upright Centipede that has been in storage for about two years.
> have it home now and am trying to fire it back up. It comes on and the
sound
> works, the video works fine, and the player 1 and 2 buttons work (it's set
> for free play).
>
> The trackball and fire button are unresponsive, completely.
>
> It's been about 5 years since I worked on any arcade games and have
> forgotten more than I remember. Can anyone suggest where I might start
> looking for the cause of the problem? I appreciate any useful information,
> even if it's just a couple of pointers to get the wheels rolling in my
brain
> again.

Two very good points already. I'm thinking I'm going to find corrosion or
rust on the connectors and cleaning them will fix it. Interesting point
about mice, though. Where I have had it stored we don't have mice. The
interesting thing is that it's been in complete climate control with air
conditioning all this time.

I'll post back after I've had a chance to look at it more closely. Thanks!