Sign in with
Your question

6800 GT or X800 XT-PE for a shuttle SFF system?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 14, 2004 9:45:53 PM

Hi, i recently bought a Shuttle SFF system, for a s939 platform SN95G5 XPC. and the shuttle 17' flat panel monitor. so far, along with mentioned above i have, audigy2 zs,1 gig of mushkin lvlII pc3200 rev 2.0,wg raptor 74. only ones need is the processor and the graphics. im waiting for the upcoming fx55 from amd, which is suppose to come out very soon, now my onl dilemma is vga card. i bought nvidia cards all the time. i was planning to buy 6800 ultra , but i noticed that the power usage of it is immense, and my shuttle has 240 watt of juice. dont laugh i checked everywhere and it works with 6800 GT. on the other hand ati cards i heard consume less power, therefore by paying a little bit like $50 extra i could get sapphie x800 XT-PE , now my questiion is that is this card worth it? i never tried ati cards before or never even heard of sapphire. will this card perform better then 6800 GT? if someone can help me out, it be great. thanks.
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2004 10:12:02 PM

Hahaha, WEEEEEEEEEE, wow, you bought an SFF, do you drive a Yugo or a moped?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
October 14, 2004 10:19:48 PM

I bought SFF, becuse i dont like to play at home all the time. its good to have portable pc, maybe i cant overclock it whitout a good air ventilated case, but its not the end of the world. For less i coul dhave gotten a very good aluminium case like coolermatser preatorian or tsunami dream cases. but once again forme portability is more important.and current laptops aint cutting it yet.
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2004 11:01:17 PM

Portability is better with narrow Micro ATX towers than wide SFF boxes because they're narrower. Narrower (like a briefcase) slaps your leg less than wider (like a bucket) when you walk.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 15, 2004 9:34:12 AM

you are really onĀ“ today :p 

at least you can dump the shuttle in the freezer for a few hours before you start gaming :p 

Abit IS7 - P4E3.0@3.45- i865PE - 1024mb dual ddr400 - Leadtek 6800 128mb@380/850 - 600W dualfan(front/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2004 10:05:07 AM

My freezer has only around 6" of space left at the top, I could fit in a narrow tower laying sideways easily, but I'd have to at least move things around before the SFF would fit:p 

October 15, 2004 2:18:18 PM

heya Turmania;

The 6800GT is on the top of everyones recommendation list these days, because of its outstanding price/performance ratio, it is just one hell of a graphics card for the money. I own one and you will be the lilballer shotcaller in whatever game you play. Have you ever heard of Planetside, its a little mentioned game by sony, that is horribly adictive, and extrodinarily demanding on hardware, imagine literally 100's sometimes 500-600 guys in a 200 yard radias all running around in real time first person shooting, UT 2004 style. Its insane but more importantly it gives you a very good idea of where you are in terms of hardware. The 6800GT performs very well in heavy avatar populated areas, which is the most important factor in planetside, if you cant move because of insane graphics lag how are you going to help your empire conqure the worlds? ;) 

<b><font color=blue>Co-Founder and Administrator of Toms Hardware IRC</font color=blue></b>
<b><font color=red>
Server: hub1.oddnet.net
Channel: #Tomshardware
</b></font color=red>
October 15, 2004 3:19:24 PM

dont listen to these NvIDIOTs and fanATIcs, buy <b>XGI</b>gantic. Trust me its worth it. I play D3 on that with FPS that are unbelievable !

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:
October 15, 2004 3:50:30 PM

LOL - at least that chicken wouldn't feel so lonely :p 

Abit IS7 - P4E3.0@3.45- i865PE - 1024mb dual ddr400 - Leadtek 6800 128mb@380/850 - 600W dualfan(front/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b
October 15, 2004 3:52:43 PM

ROFL!

<b><font color=blue>Co-Founder and Administrator of Toms Hardware IRC</font color=blue></b>
<b><font color=red>
Server: hub1.oddnet.net
Channel: #Tomshardware
</b></font color=red>
October 15, 2004 3:53:34 PM

I would pick the X800 XT-PE of those two with no hesitation

October 16, 2004 6:05:33 PM

im an ideal situation after forking out this much money i would have gone for the 6800 ulta, but becaouse of its 2 slots and mass power usage i had to make a choice between 6800 GT or x800 XT-PE, the price diiference is not that much just 50 bucks. and after checking the specs of both and some reviews. and taking in count less power consumption of x800 XT-PE to 6800 GT, i decided to go for ati fist time ever. i dont play doom thats where nvdia is very good at it seems. but im waiting for half life2 and WOW, those 2 games i will play mostly.so I ordered the sapphire x800 XT-PE , where i will pay 490 euros. and 6800 GT was around 450 euros. so i just hope i made a right decision. and hopefully none of these companies will bring another high end product within the next few months otherwise i will be reallu pissed off :) 
and to crashman; i think SFF like shuttles new g5 versions are great to own. i was at first sceptical about them, but after seing them not only they look cool, but they are not that hot! maybe a few degrees more then normal mid towers, but as long as you are not pushing the card to limits and voltages i see no reason why not to own them.
!