Time for an upgrade

Rockworth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002
Well, the time for an video card upgrade has come. Trouble is, I do not know how much of an increase in performance I should expect. I am currently running on a Athlon 1900+ (1.6Ghz) CPU with 512MB RAM and a GeForce ti500. I am interested in either the x800 Pro or the nvidia 6800gt. My mobo does not support 8x agp, but I have heard that it does not make much of a difference for now. What sort of increase should I "expect"?

What sort of increase should I "expect"?
On modern games, minimal boost. Your system will be holding you back considerably in everything but feature demos (Oooh, Ahhh). If you plan on getting a system upgrade in the near future then OK, otherwise buy an R9800Pro, save the difference, upgrade your system either later or at the same time and take that saved money and put it towards a GF6800GT/X800XT(nonPE) when they come down in price in a year's time. Anything less than an XP2800-3000+ with 1GB is wasting those cards IMO.

That's my two frames worth.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

georgebeee

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003
how much money you wanting to spend? and are you gonna consider an upgrade anytime in the future? cause AGP is on the way out I believe. that ti card might be worth hanging onto for a while, saving up for a PC upgrade in the future instead

man who fart in church, sit in his own pew

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya Rock;

IMO you cant even compare the x800 Pro to the 6800GT the difference in performance is just too great. The X800XT (non-PE) is its intended competitior, and is a much closer match.

Reguardless, your CPU isnt powerfull enough to justify buying either of these cards, putting anything more powerfull then a R9800 Pro in that system is a waste, which btw send me a private MSG here in toms i may have a deal for ya on one. :wink:

<b><font color=blue>Co-Founder and Administrator of Toms Hardware IRC</font color=blue></b>
<b><font color=red>
Server: hub1.oddnet.net
Channel: #Tomshardware
</b></font color=red>

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
9800 Pro Is still a respectible card, dont think that because its not one of the new cards that it dont have sac. Having a 9800 pro under the hood aint to shabby.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel 400 Mhz(222),Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT