Looking for detailed experiences with wireless routers

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Hello,

I've been thinking about buying a new wireless Cable/DSL router, and I'm
wondering if there's a consensus of what's the "best" one out there.

The one I have *works*, but that's about it. When I change certain
settings it has to reboot (and gives no warning about it), and the
firmware updates are erratic and you always have to cross your fingers
that they didn't introduce more bugs than they fixed.

Here's the type of things I'm curious about:
- Are firmware updates released often and of high quality?
- Are options clearly labeled that they will need a reboot or have other
help?
- Does it support port triggering/forwarding *well*?
- Does it reboot randomly?
- Does port filtering actually work?
- How strict is it when working with other brands?
- VPN might be nice

I'm very comfortable in the tech world, so something that's "easy" isn't
really a priority - I'm more interested in something that's put together
well and works nice as a whole package (refined interface).

I've seen some good reviews of the Netgear WGT624. What else is worth
looking at?

Thanks,
Brian

Erik

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

"Brian" <spam.is@ikilling.invalid> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've been thinking about buying a new wireless Cable/DSL router, and I'm
> wondering if there's a consensus of what's the "best" one out there.
>
> The one I have *works*, but that's about it. When I change certain
> settings it has to reboot (and gives no warning about it), and the
> firmware updates are erratic and you always have to cross your fingers
> that they didn't introduce more bugs than they fixed.
>
> Here's the type of things I'm curious about:
> - Are firmware updates released often and of high quality?
> - Are options clearly labeled that they will need a reboot or have other
> help?
> - Does it support port triggering/forwarding *well*?
> - Does it reboot randomly?
> - Does port filtering actually work?
> - How strict is it when working with other brands?
> - VPN might be nice
>
> I'm very comfortable in the tech world, so something that's "easy" isn't
> really a priority - I'm more interested in something that's put together
> well and works nice as a whole package (refined interface).
>
> I've seen some good reviews of the Netgear WGT624. What else is worth
> looking at?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

I have the D-Link DI-514. Its the first Router/Wireless device Ive owned,
first i bought a Linksys Router at Wally World, It seemed kind of "cheesy"
for 70 bucks so I returned it. I went to BBuy and picked up the dlink, it
has VPN and all of the goodies that just about everyother SOHO
router/wireless has. I have DSL and the PPPoE function on the router is so
slick, much better than the enternet software solution. I havnt had any
problems with it , Its been powered and has had a laptop connected to it for
2 weeks now, along with 2 other computers wired to it.
Well thats my 2¢
-Erik

Without being too flippant, I think it's almost like asking "Which is
better, a Ford or a Chevy?". I have set up wireless networks with equipment
from virtually every major supplier. I have seen problems with some piece
of equipment from all of them, and I've had networks work flawlessly with
each of the same brands.

The major element that I think is critical is to buy all of your equipment
in the network from one vendor, and then to make sure that you either enable
or disable Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration on all the machines in the
network.

Bob Horton

--

"Erik" <nooone@nowhere.net> wrote in message

> "Brian" <spam.is@ikilling.invalid> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've been thinking about buying a new wireless Cable/DSL router, and I'm
> > wondering if there's a consensus of what's the "best" one out there.
> >
> > The one I have *works*, but that's about it. When I change certain
> > settings it has to reboot (and gives no warning about it), and the
> > firmware updates are erratic and you always have to cross your fingers
> > that they didn't introduce more bugs than they fixed.
> >
> > Here's the type of things I'm curious about:
> > - Are firmware updates released often and of high quality?
> > - Are options clearly labeled that they will need a reboot or have other
> > help?
> > - Does it support port triggering/forwarding *well*?
> > - Does it reboot randomly?
> > - Does port filtering actually work?
> > - How strict is it when working with other brands?
> > - VPN might be nice
> >
> > I'm very comfortable in the tech world, so something that's "easy" isn't
> > really a priority - I'm more interested in something that's put together
> > well and works nice as a whole package (refined interface).
> >
> > I've seen some good reviews of the Netgear WGT624. What else is worth
> > looking at?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brian
>
> I have the D-Link DI-514. Its the first Router/Wireless device Ive owned,
> first i bought a Linksys Router at Wally World, It seemed kind of "cheesy"
> for 70 bucks so I returned it. I went to BBuy and picked up the dlink, it
> has VPN and all of the goodies that just about everyother SOHO
> router/wireless has. I have DSL and the PPPoE function on the router is so
> slick, much better than the enternet software solution. I havnt had any
> problems with it , Its been powered and has had a laptop connected to it
for
> 2 weeks now, along with 2 other computers wired to it.
> Well thats my 2¢
> -Erik

TRENDING THREADS