Can't get my arcade monitor to power on

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have this old street fighter 2 Championship Edition cabinet. After I
bought the box I tossed the PCB as I only wanted the cabinet for a mame
system. Of course I later realized the power supply is switched and
will no longer power on.

My question is, I have a PC power supply and would like to use it to
attach to the transformer to power on the monitor. Is this feasible? I
should mention that I am not electronic savvy. I know the voltages of
my pc power supply but I don't know what voltage requirements for the
transformer are. The isolation transformer has two black wires that
would go into my old power supply.

any info is appreciated. thx!

You through the PCB away???

OK, I would have paid you $20 for it.

Oh well.

Brent
<christopher_corn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have this old street fighter 2 Championship Edition cabinet. After I
> bought the box I tossed the PCB as I only wanted the cabinet for a mame
> system. Of course I later realized the power supply is switched and
> will no longer power on.
>
> My question is, I have a PC power supply and would like to use it to
> attach to the transformer to power on the monitor. Is this feasible? I
> should mention that I am not electronic savvy. I know the voltages of
> my pc power supply but I don't know what voltage requirements for the
> transformer are. The isolation transformer has two black wires that
> would go into my old power supply.
>
> any info is appreciated. thx!

RJ

Isolation transformers are a 120 volts AC in and a 120 volts AC out .
Your computer supply is DC 12, -12,-5 and 5 volts out.

The computer supply and the Isolation transformer are wired in parrelel
with the AC in. Neutral (White). and both from the ON/Off switch
output.

The Isolation transformers output is only for the Monitor.

RJ

rj,
doesn't the power supply convert the AC voltage to DC voltage and then
send it to the isolation transformer to the monitor? Any ideas on what
I can do to get this monitor online? thx alot.

your best bet would be to ask in the mame group... they can point you to
numerous sites detailing how to wire up a mame cabinet...

can't believe you threw away the board...

<christopher_corn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have this old street fighter 2 Championship Edition cabinet. After I
> bought the box I tossed the PCB as I only wanted the cabinet for a mame
> system. Of course I later realized the power supply is switched and
> will no longer power on.
>
> My question is, I have a PC power supply and would like to use it to
> attach to the transformer to power on the monitor. Is this feasible? I
> should mention that I am not electronic savvy. I know the voltages of
> my pc power supply but I don't know what voltage requirements for the
> transformer are. The isolation transformer has two black wires that
> would go into my old power supply.
>
> any info is appreciated. thx!

guinness

You should have AC coming in to the cab via the plug. From there it splits
into two paths, one AC line for the Iso-xformer (which then goes to the
monitor), the other AC line to the switching power supply, which outputs DC
for the board. Bob has a good diagram of this:

http://www.homearcade.org/BBBB/buildit.html

tim (NH)

> rj,
> doesn't the power supply convert the AC voltage to DC voltage and then
> send it to the isolation transformer to the monitor? Any ideas on what
> I can do to get this monitor online? thx alot.

In all honestly you can't use that monitor anyways from my
understanding of MAME without adaption. So why you are concerned is
beyond me because if your not "electricly savvy" then you'll be back
here in a few days after banging your head off a wall asking how to
hook it up.

Just do what all the other arcade trashing mamers do. Run out to best
buy, plunk down your money on a perty new emachine with geek squad
coverage, mount it all in your what-once-was-a-REAL-arcade-game and
mame yourself to death.

And next time post on the mame forums where people who trash and smash
belong.

Good luck and have a killer day =)

- Matt

i can't believe how many responses i got with "i can't believe you
threw that board away" :)

next time i'll know better

Thanks for thre link guiness, i hope i can understand it.

Thanks for your responses everyone. except matty-t :)

"After I bought the box I tossed the PCB as I only wanted the cabinet
for a mame system"

/me grabs his chest and falls over...........

Guiness,
I went to the page and tried to make the most sense out of it. i think
i got it, can you please validate my work here.

So I'm going to strip my AC power cord and reveal 3 wires, hot, neutral
and ground
I'm going to connect these wires to their corresponding inputs to an AC
filter that I have to purchase
I will earth ground the AC filter to my cabinet
I will add a fuse between the AC power cable HOT wire and the
corresponding AC filter IN
I will connect the Neutral wire from my isolator transformer to the
corresponding output on my AC filter
I will connect the HOT wire from my isolator transformer to the
corresponding output on my AC filter ( i do not want to use a switch)

Notice I did not include a power distribution block, as I only need
power to my transformer which will power my monitor. I do not know for
sure but I believe the power distribution blocks only feature is to
spread power to multiple devices, which is not needed in my case.

Please let me know if I have messed up so I don't fry myself! thanks
alot!

no...

the whole purpose of the isolation transoformer is to prevent a hot-chasis,
that is having the chasis at 120 through the bridge rectifier... DO NOT
attempt to connect the monitor to a non-isoated power source or you will be
creating an extremly hazardous situation.

Generally the wall socket will supply power to the switching power supply
and the isolation transformer in parallel... (there are some cases where the
isolation transformer will supply the switcher, but this is rare and may
invalidate the isolation transformer depending on how you have your grounds
wired up).

The "power supply" you are talking about generally only generates +/-12 V
and +5 (sometimes -5V depending on the cab and supply). There are some
other voltages depending on the particular game (even some wierd ones as the
games get older) but for the most part these are low voltage DC supplies and
are not capable of powering the monitor.

again, you should really check out the mame sites... they have many wiring
diagrams which would make things much simpler for you.

best,

steve

ps: still can't believe you tossed the DD!

<christopher_corn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> rj,
> doesn't the power supply convert the AC voltage to DC voltage and then
> send it to the isolation transformer to the monitor? Any ideas on what
> I can do to get this monitor online? thx alot.

Hey I think i may have done something quite stupid. I plugged my arcade monitor directly into the wall and it looked like my monitor gave one last breath and shut off completely. Now my monitor wont turn on. Is there a way to save the monitor or is it shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS