Closed

Can't get my arcade monitor to power on

I have this old street fighter 2 Championship Edition cabinet. After I
bought the box I tossed the PCB as I only wanted the cabinet for a mame
system. Of course I later realized the power supply is switched and
will no longer power on.

My question is, I have a PC power supply and would like to use it to
attach to the transformer to power on the monitor. Is this feasible? I
should mention that I am not electronic savvy. I know the voltages of
my pc power supply but I don't know what voltage requirements for the
transformer are. The isolation transformer has two black wires that
would go into my old power supply.

any info is appreciated. thx!
12 answers Last reply
More about arcade monitor power

    You through the PCB away???

    OK, I would have paid you $20 for it.

    Oh well.

    Brent
    <christopher_corn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have this old street fighter 2 Championship Edition cabinet. After I
    > bought the box I tossed the PCB as I only wanted the cabinet for a mame
    > system. Of course I later realized the power supply is switched and
    > will no longer power on.
    >
    > My question is, I have a PC power supply and would like to use it to
    > attach to the transformer to power on the monitor. Is this feasible? I
    > should mention that I am not electronic savvy. I know the voltages of
    > my pc power supply but I don't know what voltage requirements for the
    > transformer are. The isolation transformer has two black wires that
    > would go into my old power supply.
    >
    > any info is appreciated. thx!

    Isolation transformers are a 120 volts AC in and a 120 volts AC out .
    Your computer supply is DC 12, -12,-5 and 5 volts out.

    The computer supply and the Isolation transformer are wired in parrelel
    with the AC in. Neutral (White). and both from the ON/Off switch
    output.

    The Isolation transformers output is only for the Monitor.

    RJ

    rj,
    doesn't the power supply convert the AC voltage to DC voltage and then
    send it to the isolation transformer to the monitor? Any ideas on what
    I can do to get this monitor online? thx alot.

    your best bet would be to ask in the mame group... they can point you to
    numerous sites detailing how to wire up a mame cabinet...

    can't believe you threw away the board...

    <christopher_corn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have this old street fighter 2 Championship Edition cabinet. After I
    > bought the box I tossed the PCB as I only wanted the cabinet for a mame
    > system. Of course I later realized the power supply is switched and
    > will no longer power on.
    >
    > My question is, I have a PC power supply and would like to use it to
    > attach to the transformer to power on the monitor. Is this feasible? I
    > should mention that I am not electronic savvy. I know the voltages of
    > my pc power supply but I don't know what voltage requirements for the
    > transformer are. The isolation transformer has two black wires that
    > would go into my old power supply.
    >
    > any info is appreciated. thx!

    You should have AC coming in to the cab via the plug. From there it splits
    into two paths, one AC line for the Iso-xformer (which then goes to the
    monitor), the other AC line to the switching power supply, which outputs DC
    for the board. Bob has a good diagram of this:

    http://www.homearcade.org/BBBB/buildit.html

    tim (NH)

    > rj,
    > doesn't the power supply convert the AC voltage to DC voltage and then
    > send it to the isolation transformer to the monitor? Any ideas on what
    > I can do to get this monitor online? thx alot.

    In all honestly you can't use that monitor anyways from my
    understanding of MAME without adaption. So why you are concerned is
    beyond me because if your not "electricly savvy" then you'll be back
    here in a few days after banging your head off a wall asking how to
    hook it up.

    Just do what all the other arcade trashing mamers do. Run out to best
    buy, plunk down your money on a perty new emachine with geek squad
    coverage, mount it all in your what-once-was-a-REAL-arcade-game and
    mame yourself to death.

    And next time post on the mame forums where people who trash and smash
    belong.

    Good luck and have a killer day =)

    - Matt
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    i can't believe how many responses i got with "i can't believe you
    threw that board away" :)

    next time i'll know better

    Thanks for thre link guiness, i hope i can understand it.

    Thanks for your responses everyone. except matty-t :)
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    "After I bought the box I tossed the PCB as I only wanted the cabinet
    for a mame system"

    /me grabs his chest and falls over...........
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Guiness,
    I went to the page and tried to make the most sense out of it. i think
    i got it, can you please validate my work here.

    So I'm going to strip my AC power cord and reveal 3 wires, hot, neutral
    and ground
    I'm going to connect these wires to their corresponding inputs to an AC
    filter that I have to purchase
    I will earth ground the AC filter to my cabinet
    I will add a fuse between the AC power cable HOT wire and the
    corresponding AC filter IN
    I will connect the Neutral wire from my isolator transformer to the
    corresponding output on my AC filter
    I will connect the HOT wire from my isolator transformer to the
    corresponding output on my AC filter ( i do not want to use a switch)

    Notice I did not include a power distribution block, as I only need
    power to my transformer which will power my monitor. I do not know for
    sure but I believe the power distribution blocks only feature is to
    spread power to multiple devices, which is not needed in my case.

    Please let me know if I have messed up so I don't fry myself! thanks
    alot!
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    no...

    the whole purpose of the isolation transoformer is to prevent a hot-chasis,
    that is having the chasis at 120 through the bridge rectifier... DO NOT
    attempt to connect the monitor to a non-isoated power source or you will be
    creating an extremly hazardous situation.

    Generally the wall socket will supply power to the switching power supply
    and the isolation transformer in parallel... (there are some cases where the
    isolation transformer will supply the switcher, but this is rare and may
    invalidate the isolation transformer depending on how you have your grounds
    wired up).

    The "power supply" you are talking about generally only generates +/-12 V
    and +5 (sometimes -5V depending on the cab and supply). There are some
    other voltages depending on the particular game (even some wierd ones as the
    games get older) but for the most part these are low voltage DC supplies and
    are not capable of powering the monitor.

    again, you should really check out the mame sites... they have many wiring
    diagrams which would make things much simpler for you.

    best,

    steve

    ps: still can't believe you tossed the DD!

    <christopher_corn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > rj,
    > doesn't the power supply convert the AC voltage to DC voltage and then
    > send it to the isolation transformer to the monitor? Any ideas on what
    > I can do to get this monitor online? thx alot.

  11. Hey I think i may have done something quite stupid. I plugged my arcade monitor directly into the wall and it looked like my monitor gave one last breath and shut off completely. Now my monitor wont turn on. Is there a way to save the monitor or is it shot?

Power Supplies Monitors Power Video Games