Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need Dell edition of Windows Media Center Edition 2005..

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 8:07:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hi,

I have a Dell labeled Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 cd that i got
with my system.
A few weeks ago i wanted to reinstall the whole thing, but after a few
minutes into install it failed because the cd was unreadible.

I tried again and again, but no luck.
So i decided to install my copy of Windows XP Home for now.

I called and emailed Dell for a few weeks now, but they refuse to send me a
new cd... They refuse to send a replacement after a month i heard, but then
it was running fine, so)

Because i just want a Dell version of MCE2005 (i have a Dell licence and key
for that) i won't install a regular OEM copy.

But, if someone could supply me with a copy of the discs or just the files
that i need to make a regular OEM copy to a Dell copy
-that doesn't need a key and activation on a Dell- that would be great.
That way i could just use those files (about 12mb) on a regular OEM copy of
a friend..
I hope someone could help me out and could upload the needed files to a
newsgroup or to my XDrive account:
http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ...

Thanks,

Allegro.

P.S: If you have a Dutch version of the cd, the whole copy would be great,
otherwise those 12mb of files would do.



The files i need from the Dell labeled MCE2005 cd:

-------- The needed files ---------
In folder \I386:
DPCDLL.DL_
EULA.TXT
NT5INF.CA_
OEMBIOS.BI_
OEMBIOS.CA_
OEMBIOS.DA_
OEMBIOS.SI_
PIDGEN.DLL
SETUPP.INI
SETUPREG.HIV
UNATTEND.TXT
WINNT.SIF

In folder I386\WIN9XUPG:
WIN95UPG.INF

Then you could archive it with Winzip or WinRar.

You could create a batchfile that copies the needed files, from in my case
the G: drive (cd-rom) to the folder C:\XPbios.

Copy and paste this to a new txtfile (notepad) :

@ECHO OFF
:START
MKDIR C:\XPbios
MKDIR C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG
COPY G:\I386\DPCDLL.DL_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\EULA.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\NT5INF.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.BI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.DA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.SI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\PIDGEN.DLL "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\SETUPP.INI "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\SETUPREG.HIV "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\WIN9XUPG\WIN95UPG.INF "C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\UNATTEND.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\WINNT.SIF "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V

Save as for instance XPbios.bat -you may have to edit location of cd and
folder-, then save it and double cick it..

On C:\ there is a new folder created called XPbios with the needed files,
you can now use WinZip or WinRar and upload it to
http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ...
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 8:07:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

allegro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell labeled Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 cd that i got
> with my system.
> A few weeks ago i wanted to reinstall the whole thing, but after a few
> minutes into install it failed because the cd was unreadible.
>
> I tried again and again, but no luck.
> So i decided to install my copy of Windows XP Home for now.
>
> I called and emailed Dell for a few weeks now, but they refuse to send me a
> new cd... They refuse to send a replacement after a month i heard, but then
> it was running fine, so)
>
> Because i just want a Dell version of MCE2005 (i have a Dell licence and key
> for that) i won't install a regular OEM copy.
>
> But, if someone could supply me with a copy of the discs or just the files
> that i need to make a regular OEM copy to a Dell copy
> -that doesn't need a key and activation on a Dell- that would be great.
> That way i could just use those files (about 12mb) on a regular OEM copy of
> a friend..
> I hope someone could help me out and could upload the needed files to a
> newsgroup or to my XDrive account:
> http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Allegro.
>
> P.S: If you have a Dutch version of the cd, the whole copy would be great,
> otherwise those 12mb of files would do.
>
>
>
> The files i need from the Dell labeled MCE2005 cd:
>
> -------- The needed files ---------
> In folder \I386:
> DPCDLL.DL_
> EULA.TXT
> NT5INF.CA_
> OEMBIOS.BI_
> OEMBIOS.CA_
> OEMBIOS.DA_
> OEMBIOS.SI_
> PIDGEN.DLL
> SETUPP.INI
> SETUPREG.HIV
> UNATTEND.TXT
> WINNT.SIF
>
> In folder I386\WIN9XUPG:
> WIN95UPG.INF
>
> Then you could archive it with Winzip or WinRar.
>
> You could create a batchfile that copies the needed files, from in my case
> the G: drive (cd-rom) to the folder C:\XPbios.
>
> Copy and paste this to a new txtfile (notepad) :
>
> @ECHO OFF
> :START
> MKDIR C:\XPbios
> MKDIR C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG
> COPY G:\I386\DPCDLL.DL_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\EULA.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\NT5INF.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.BI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.DA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.SI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\PIDGEN.DLL "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\SETUPP.INI "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\SETUPREG.HIV "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\WIN9XUPG\WIN95UPG.INF "C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\UNATTEND.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\WINNT.SIF "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>
> Save as for instance XPbios.bat -you may have to edit location of cd and
> folder-, then save it and double cick it..
>
> On C:\ there is a new folder created called XPbios with the needed files,
> you can now use WinZip or WinRar and upload it to
> http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ...
>
>
>
>
>
This just doesn't make much sense to any of us. Calling Dell and
getting a replacement cd should NOT be an issue. Did your system
actually ship with MCE2005 installed? The 30 day thing you mention
doesn't make sense because most people would NOT have a need to
reinstall their system within the first 30 days.

What is Dell telling you when you call and request the cd? Is there a
fee that you are unwilling to pay?

I've seen you post numerous times for these files and most of us believe
that you are trying to scam your way into a free copy of MCE2005
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 10:44:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Patrick L. Parks" <TryThis@wontwork.com> wrote:

> This just doesn't make much sense to any of us. Calling Dell and getting
> a replacement cd should NOT be an issue. Did your system actually ship
> with MCE2005 installed? The 30 day thing you mention doesn't make sense
> because most people would NOT have a need to reinstall their system within
> the first 30 days.
>
> What is Dell telling you when you call and request the cd? Is there a fee
> that you are unwilling to pay?
>
> I've seen you post numerous times for these files and most of us believe
> that you are trying to scam your way into a free copy of MCE2005

Hi,

Yes, i did post this before because i've been trying to get a copy for
ages..
I did call and email Dell for about a month i guess.. I have the emails to
prove it. (In Dutch)
Yes, my system shipped with MCE2005, and i haven't changed anything, except
i changed the tvtuner for a Hauppauge PVR500MCE dual tuner card..

Well, that was what i thought also.. Most people don't reinstall it that
often, but i wanted it clean without some stuff Dell installed..
Because someone mentioned in this group it could be the 21 days/30 days
thing, i thought maybe that's the problem..
Now i'm unsure, did Dell somehow screw up my system/order details? It show's
correctly if i use Dell's System Profiler thingy..

Dell told me they can't supply me with a replacement cd, because i should
have got one with my system.. I told them i DID have it, but it is not
working..
However, still no luck.. I also asked if i could just send my copy to them
first, and recieve a working copy in return..
Dell didn't mention a fee (probably because they refused to send a copy),
but i have no problem paying a small fee.. But Dell, please just send me the
cd..

I understand some people may think i just want a free copy of MCE2005, but
if that would be the case i'd just downloaded one of the several copy's
posted every week on usenet..

I just want my Dell copy working again, and hoped i have more luck finding a
copy here (or someone willing to upload one) than on other groups..
Someone promised a copy on another group, but never posted or uploaded it..
No possible way to contact him..

Thanks,

Allegro.
Related resources
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 1:13:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Patrick L. Parks" <TryThis@wontwork.com> schreef in bericht
news:88ednXv65pp_2LbfRVn-tA@comcast.com...
> This just doesn't make much sense to any of us. Calling Dell and getting
> a replacement cd should NOT be an issue. Did your system actually ship
> with MCE2005 installed? The 30 day thing you mention doesn't make sense
> because most people would NOT have a need to reinstall their system within
> the first 30 days.
>
> What is Dell telling you when you call and request the cd? Is there a fee
> that you are unwilling to pay?
>
> I've seen you post numerous times for these files and most of us believe
> that you are trying to scam your way into a free copy of MCE2005

Allegro is right. Dell Netherlands isn't very helpfull if items are missing
or "broken". Lost manuals or cd's, changing waranty, changing owner,
spare-parts. All these things are very difficult for the dutch dell guys.

harrie
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 1:47:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Johoo" <johoo123@xs4all.nl> schreef in bericht
news:422b729a$0$43073$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
>
> "Patrick L. Parks" <TryThis@wontwork.com> schreef in bericht
> news:88ednXv65pp_2LbfRVn-tA@comcast.com...
>> This just doesn't make much sense to any of us. Calling Dell and getting
>> a replacement cd should NOT be an issue. Did your system actually ship
>> with MCE2005 installed? The 30 day thing you mention doesn't make sense
>> because most people would NOT have a need to reinstall their system
>> within the first 30 days.
>>
>> What is Dell telling you when you call and request the cd? Is there a
>> fee that you are unwilling to pay?
>>
>> I've seen you post numerous times for these files and most of us believe
>> that you are trying to scam your way into a free copy of MCE2005
>
> Allegro is right. Dell Netherlands isn't very helpfull if items are
> missing or "broken". Lost manuals or cd's, changing waranty, changing
> owner, spare-parts. All these things are very difficult for the dutch dell
> guys.
>
> harrie
>
>
>

Ah,

I see you know what i'm talking about.. However, i've should have know..
When i bought my other Dell, a Dimension 8300, a year ago i had some earlier
nasty experiences with Dell "Support"..
I have no idea if stat's something Dutch or Benelux specific experience..
But since it's a great machine.. I thought what the heck.. Next time i
really have to think twice..

But, i really hope someone in this newsgroup is more helpfull in supplying
me with a working copy, 'cause Dell isn't really helping..

So, if someone could just upload the disc -preferred- (or the needed files)
to my XDrive account or if that's easier, a newsgroup that would be great..
I would love to get my system back up and running like it should.. The
language of the disc isn't important, i prefer Dutch, but UK/US is also OK.

Thanks,

Allegro.

My XDrive account:
http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ...
Username: altosaxo@flevonet.nl
Password: upload

That way you don't have to sign up..
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 1:47:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

allegro,
1. Have you tried to see if you can copy to a blank CD using another PC,
your Dell CD. There may be something wrong with your CD-ROM.

2. Or run a cleaning CD disk in your CD-ROM.

3. Since you say that the Restore CD is useless, have you tried apply JUST
water, and wiping the face of the CD? Don't use any alcohol or ammonia based
cleaner.

4.Or bring the CD to a computer repair shop, and see if they can clean it,
or at least burn a copy for you.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>
<<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>



"allegro" <allegro@flevonet.nl> wrote in message
news:422b7a84$0$28976$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...

"Johoo" <johoo123@xs4all.nl> schreef in bericht
news:422b729a$0$43073$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
>
> "Patrick L. Parks" <TryThis@wontwork.com> schreef in bericht
> news:88ednXv65pp_2LbfRVn-tA@comcast.com...
>> This just doesn't make much sense to any of us. Calling Dell and getting
>> a replacement cd should NOT be an issue. Did your system actually ship
>> with MCE2005 installed? The 30 day thing you mention doesn't make sense
>> because most people would NOT have a need to reinstall their system
>> within the first 30 days.
>>
>> What is Dell telling you when you call and request the cd? Is there a
>> fee that you are unwilling to pay?
>>
>> I've seen you post numerous times for these files and most of us believe
>> that you are trying to scam your way into a free copy of MCE2005
>
> Allegro is right. Dell Netherlands isn't very helpfull if items are
> missing or "broken". Lost manuals or cd's, changing waranty, changing
> owner, spare-parts. All these things are very difficult for the dutch dell
> guys.
>
> harrie
>
>
>

Ah,

I see you know what i'm talking about.. However, i've should have know..
When i bought my other Dell, a Dimension 8300, a year ago i had some earlier
nasty experiences with Dell "Support"..
I have no idea if stat's something Dutch or Benelux specific experience..
But since it's a great machine.. I thought what the heck.. Next time i
really have to think twice..

But, i really hope someone in this newsgroup is more helpfull in supplying
me with a working copy, 'cause Dell isn't really helping..

So, if someone could just upload the disc -preferred- (or the needed files)
to my XDrive account or if that's easier, a newsgroup that would be great..
I would love to get my system back up and running like it should.. The
language of the disc isn't important, i prefer Dutch, but UK/US is also OK.

Thanks,

Allegro.

My XDrive account:
http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ...
Username: altosaxo@flevonet.nl
Password: upload

That way you don't have to sign up..
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 4:33:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hi,

I cleaned it, used Isobuster and other recovery tools, and i actually went
to MyCom (a computer shop in Holland) where they tried different machines to
get the data off it..
They used some sort of polishing device/solution to try to repair it..
Nothing worked.. It just seemed the cd itself is not pressed/written
correctly..

I've tried anything i could think of..

That's why, the Dell userbase is some sort of last hope for me..

If someone could just help me.. I just need the cd to work, but Dell doesn't
seem to care and the cd itself is useless.. (MyCom tried everything they
could to recover the disc/data, they tried to convince me the were better
then Dell.. At least they tried.. That's more than i can say from Dell..)

Well, i still hope someone here can help me with a copy..

Thanks,

Allegro.

"RRR_News" <nospam@isp.com> schreef in bericht
news:_Y6dnWigCv5IALbfRVn-2Q@comcast.com...
> allegro,
> 1. Have you tried to see if you can copy to a blank CD using another PC,
> your Dell CD. There may be something wrong with your CD-ROM.
>
> 2. Or run a cleaning CD disk in your CD-ROM.
>
> 3. Since you say that the Restore CD is useless, have you tried apply JUST
> water, and wiping the face of the CD? Don't use any alcohol or ammonia
> based
> cleaner.
>
> 4.Or bring the CD to a computer repair shop, and see if they can clean it,
> or at least burn a copy for you.
>
> --
>
> Rich/rerat
>
> (RRR News) <message rule>
> <<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
>
>
>
> "allegro" <allegro@flevonet.nl> wrote in message
> news:422b7a84$0$28976$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
>
> "Johoo" <johoo123@xs4all.nl> schreef in bericht
> news:422b729a$0$43073$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
>>
>> "Patrick L. Parks" <TryThis@wontwork.com> schreef in bericht
>> news:88ednXv65pp_2LbfRVn-tA@comcast.com...
>>> This just doesn't make much sense to any of us. Calling Dell and
>>> getting
>>> a replacement cd should NOT be an issue. Did your system actually ship
>>> with MCE2005 installed? The 30 day thing you mention doesn't make
>>> sense
>>> because most people would NOT have a need to reinstall their system
>>> within the first 30 days.
>>>
>>> What is Dell telling you when you call and request the cd? Is there a
>>> fee that you are unwilling to pay?
>>>
>>> I've seen you post numerous times for these files and most of us believe
>>> that you are trying to scam your way into a free copy of MCE2005
>>
>> Allegro is right. Dell Netherlands isn't very helpfull if items are
>> missing or "broken". Lost manuals or cd's, changing waranty, changing
>> owner, spare-parts. All these things are very difficult for the dutch
>> dell
>> guys.
>>
>> harrie
>>
>>
>>
>
> Ah,
>
> I see you know what i'm talking about.. However, i've should have know..
> When i bought my other Dell, a Dimension 8300, a year ago i had some
> earlier
> nasty experiences with Dell "Support"..
> I have no idea if stat's something Dutch or Benelux specific experience..
> But since it's a great machine.. I thought what the heck.. Next time i
> really have to think twice..
>
> But, i really hope someone in this newsgroup is more helpfull in supplying
> me with a working copy, 'cause Dell isn't really helping..
>
> So, if someone could just upload the disc -preferred- (or the needed
> files)
> to my XDrive account or if that's easier, a newsgroup that would be
> great..
> I would love to get my system back up and running like it should.. The
> language of the disc isn't important, i prefer Dutch, but UK/US is also
> OK.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Allegro.
>
> My XDrive account:
> http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ...
> Username: altosaxo@flevonet.nl
> Password: upload
>
> That way you don't have to sign up..
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 8:15:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

seeing as no-one seems willing to help here, you might have more luck
downoading a dodgy copy of mce2005 off usenet, and extracting the files
you need from there.
however, i'd be quite forceful with dell first: you bought a product,
and part of it is faulty. this is their responsibility to sort out:
duff disks are not that uncommon. call, speak to a supervisor and
explain you have faulty media and need it swapping out. this shouldn't
be a big issue with them...
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 5:18:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hi,

Just wanted to update the posting;
Called Dell a few hours ago, but still they refuse to send a replacement. No
idea what to do next..
Went to a computershop called ViComputer, explained the whole thing and told
them what i tried (and MyCom) to get the disc to work..
They offered to try getting a copy of the data, but they also failed to get
the data off.. They tried extracting to an iso, disc to disc copy, disc to
image.. And off course tried to copy the files manually..
Nothing seemed to work and they confirmed the disc itself is bad... They say
there is absolutely no possible way to get the whole disc to fuction.. In
fact, one of the technical guys placed a bet: if i could get the data back
myself or with the help of another firm i get a free coupon of ?50,-.. He
was that sure..

So, it really seems i'm screwed unless someone here could help me out..
I guess there should be a fellow Dell user with a Dell branded disc of
Windows XP Media Center Edition in his possession?
Does anyone could upload a copy to me or to a newsgroup?

A full Dutch copy is preferred, but a UK?US version (or the needed files) i
can work with..

I'm really desparate and frustrated with Dell, so if someone could help me
out that would be great..
If wanted, i can offer a small fee for uploading.. (Paypal)

Thanks,

Allegro.

http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ...


"allegro" <allegro@flevonet.nl> schreef in bericht
news:422b2ac0$0$43074$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell labeled Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 cd that i got
> with my system.
> A few weeks ago i wanted to reinstall the whole thing, but after a few
> minutes into install it failed because the cd was unreadible.
>
> I tried again and again, but no luck.
> So i decided to install my copy of Windows XP Home for now.
>
> I called and emailed Dell for a few weeks now, but they refuse to send me
> a
> new cd... They refuse to send a replacement after a month i heard, but
> then it was running fine, so)
>
> Because i just want a Dell version of MCE2005 (i have a Dell licence and
> key for that) i won't install a regular OEM copy.
>
> But, if someone could supply me with a copy of the discs or just the files
> that i need to make a regular OEM copy to a Dell copy
> -that doesn't need a key and activation on a Dell- that would be great.
> That way i could just use those files (about 12mb) on a regular OEM copy
> of a friend..
> I hope someone could help me out and could upload the needed files to a
> newsgroup or to my XDrive account:
> http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Allegro.
>
> P.S: If you have a Dutch version of the cd, the whole copy would be great,
> otherwise those 12mb of files would do.
>
>
>
> The files i need from the Dell labeled MCE2005 cd:
>
> -------- The needed files ---------
> In folder \I386:
> DPCDLL.DL_
> EULA.TXT
> NT5INF.CA_
> OEMBIOS.BI_
> OEMBIOS.CA_
> OEMBIOS.DA_
> OEMBIOS.SI_
> PIDGEN.DLL
> SETUPP.INI
> SETUPREG.HIV
> UNATTEND.TXT
> WINNT.SIF
>
> In folder I386\WIN9XUPG:
> WIN95UPG.INF
>
> Then you could archive it with Winzip or WinRar.
>
> You could create a batchfile that copies the needed files, from in my case
> the G: drive (cd-rom) to the folder C:\XPbios.
>
> Copy and paste this to a new txtfile (notepad) :
>
> @ECHO OFF
> :START
> MKDIR C:\XPbios
> MKDIR C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG
> COPY G:\I386\DPCDLL.DL_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\EULA.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\NT5INF.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.BI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.DA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.SI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\PIDGEN.DLL "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\SETUPP.INI "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\SETUPREG.HIV "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\WIN9XUPG\WIN95UPG.INF "C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\UNATTEND.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\WINNT.SIF "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>
> Save as for instance XPbios.bat -you may have to edit location of cd and
> folder-, then save it and double cick it..
>
> On C:\ there is a new folder created called XPbios with the needed files,
> you can now use WinZip or WinRar and upload it to
> http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ...
>
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 5:18:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Allegro,

Granted the apparent stupidity of all this, why not call Microsoft and ask
them what legal options you have so far as they're concerned?

I fully realize they'll want to push support back to Dell for the OEM CD.
That's not my point. My point is that they may be able to offer some
suggestion as to options for obtaining a copy that they themselves would
consider "legitimate".

Be that:

1) an uploaded copy
2) a Dell OEM copied CD from another Dell user
3) a downloaded copy used in conjunction with your Dell COA/key (if that
would work at all)

I'd also move to speaking with U.S. customer care via a posting or private
message to the moderator here:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums?category.id=cus...

Sure, it's the U.S., but perhaps you could get a solution by shaking the
tree from the states end.

There has to be a solution to this.


Stew





"allegro" <allegro@flevonet.nl> wrote in message
news:422c54a2$0$43037$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
> Hi,
>
> Just wanted to update the posting;
> Called Dell a few hours ago, but still they refuse to send a replacement.
> No idea what to do next..
> Went to a computershop called ViComputer, explained the whole thing and
> told them what i tried (and MyCom) to get the disc to work..
> They offered to try getting a copy of the data, but they also failed to
> get the data off.. They tried extracting to an iso, disc to disc copy,
> disc to image.. And off course tried to copy the files manually..
> Nothing seemed to work and they confirmed the disc itself is bad... They
> say there is absolutely no possible way to get the whole disc to fuction..
> In fact, one of the technical guys placed a bet: if i could get the data
> back myself or with the help of another firm i get a free coupon of
> ?50,-.. He was that sure..
>
> So, it really seems i'm screwed unless someone here could help me out..
> I guess there should be a fellow Dell user with a Dell branded disc of
> Windows XP Media Center Edition in his possession?
> Does anyone could upload a copy to me or to a newsgroup?
>
> A full Dutch copy is preferred, but a UK?US version (or the needed files)
> i can work with..
>
> I'm really desparate and frustrated with Dell, so if someone could help me
> out that would be great..
> If wanted, i can offer a small fee for uploading.. (Paypal)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Allegro.
>
> http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ...
>
>
> "allegro" <allegro@flevonet.nl> schreef in bericht
> news:422b2ac0$0$43074$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Dell labeled Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 cd that i got
>> with my system.
>> A few weeks ago i wanted to reinstall the whole thing, but after a few
>> minutes into install it failed because the cd was unreadible.
>>
>> I tried again and again, but no luck.
>> So i decided to install my copy of Windows XP Home for now.
>>
>> I called and emailed Dell for a few weeks now, but they refuse to send me
>> a
>> new cd... They refuse to send a replacement after a month i heard, but
>> then it was running fine, so)
>>
>> Because i just want a Dell version of MCE2005 (i have a Dell licence and
>> key for that) i won't install a regular OEM copy.
>>
>> But, if someone could supply me with a copy of the discs or just the
>> files that i need to make a regular OEM copy to a Dell copy
>> -that doesn't need a key and activation on a Dell- that would be great.
>> That way i could just use those files (about 12mb) on a regular OEM copy
>> of a friend..
>> I hope someone could help me out and could upload the needed files to a
>> newsgroup or to my XDrive account:
>> http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ...
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Allegro.
>>
>> P.S: If you have a Dutch version of the cd, the whole copy would be
>> great,
>> otherwise those 12mb of files would do.
>>
>>
>>
>> The files i need from the Dell labeled MCE2005 cd:
>>
>> -------- The needed files ---------
>> In folder \I386:
>> DPCDLL.DL_
>> EULA.TXT
>> NT5INF.CA_
>> OEMBIOS.BI_
>> OEMBIOS.CA_
>> OEMBIOS.DA_
>> OEMBIOS.SI_
>> PIDGEN.DLL
>> SETUPP.INI
>> SETUPREG.HIV
>> UNATTEND.TXT
>> WINNT.SIF
>>
>> In folder I386\WIN9XUPG:
>> WIN95UPG.INF
>>
>> Then you could archive it with Winzip or WinRar.
>>
>> You could create a batchfile that copies the needed files, from in my
>> case
>> the G: drive (cd-rom) to the folder C:\XPbios.
>>
>> Copy and paste this to a new txtfile (notepad) :
>>
>> @ECHO OFF
>> :START
>> MKDIR C:\XPbios
>> MKDIR C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG
>> COPY G:\I386\DPCDLL.DL_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>> COPY G:\I386\EULA.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>> COPY G:\I386\NT5INF.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.BI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.DA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.SI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>> COPY G:\I386\PIDGEN.DLL "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>> COPY G:\I386\SETUPP.INI "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>> COPY G:\I386\SETUPREG.HIV "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>> COPY G:\I386\WIN9XUPG\WIN95UPG.INF "C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG\" /Y /V
>> COPY G:\I386\UNATTEND.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>> COPY G:\I386\WINNT.SIF "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>>
>> Save as for instance XPbios.bat -you may have to edit location of cd and
>> folder-, then save it and double cick it..
>>
>> On C:\ there is a new folder created called XPbios with the needed files,
>> you can now use WinZip or WinRar and upload it to
>> http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 7:45:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hi,

I can answer this one fast because i allready tried contacting MS about this
when i got my first rejection of a replacement cd from Dell.
Then i tried MS, and ofcourse they told me i had to contact Dell for
support, they can't help me with a OEM copy.
However, i was told by support staff, that as long i have a Dell OEM MCE2005
cd key and licence i can use both a downloaded copy or a copy from another
user as long it's a Dell copy..
They also said, that if i keep my original (defective) disc when using a
copy, that would be the best option.. Had something to do with proving
ownership or something.. I guess it's the same as making a safety copy, i
just have to resort to another disc for that..

The problem is, i just can't find a Dell copy, not on the usenet or
anywhere.. (most people i know with a Dell use XP Home or Pro, not MCE..)
So, that's why i try here.. I just need a nice Dell user who could help me
out by letting me have a safety/backup copy..

And the other thing; i did contact the US CC of Dell a few months ago
regarding an issue with my other system and the inability of Dell
Netherlands to deal with it.
They told me, they would like to help but could not because they could not
use my order details, etc because it was ordered from the Dutch site..
They promised to contact the Dutch Dell department, but haven't heard
anything since and the issue wasn't resolved by them..

So, i'm kinda lost... MS did not have a real problem when i get copy from
another Dell user, as long i have my original cd, key and licence..
However, i still need to find the disc itself.. Shouldn't be difficult, Dell
group, fast internet connections.. Someone should be able to help me out, i
guess..
So please, let me now if anyone could upload the Dell branded MCE2005 disc,
Dutch version would be best.. But i can use another language if that's the
only option..

Allegro.

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> schreef in bericht
news:o UZWd.4174$c72.3577@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> Allegro,
>
> Granted the apparent stupidity of all this, why not call Microsoft and ask
> them what legal options you have so far as they're concerned?
>
> I fully realize they'll want to push support back to Dell for the OEM CD.
> That's not my point. My point is that they may be able to offer some
> suggestion as to options for obtaining a copy that they themselves would
> consider "legitimate".
>
> Be that:
>
> 1) an uploaded copy
> 2) a Dell OEM copied CD from another Dell user
> 3) a downloaded copy used in conjunction with your Dell COA/key (if that
> would work at all)
>
> I'd also move to speaking with U.S. customer care via a posting or private
> message to the moderator here:
>
> http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums?category.id=cus...
>
> Sure, it's the U.S., but perhaps you could get a solution by shaking the
> tree from the states end.
>
> There has to be a solution to this.
>
>
> Stew
>
>
>
>
>
> "allegro" <allegro@flevonet.nl> wrote in message
> news:422c54a2$0$43037$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just wanted to update the posting;
>> Called Dell a few hours ago, but still they refuse to send a replacement.
>> No idea what to do next..
>> Went to a computershop called ViComputer, explained the whole thing and
>> told them what i tried (and MyCom) to get the disc to work..
>> They offered to try getting a copy of the data, but they also failed to
>> get the data off.. They tried extracting to an iso, disc to disc copy,
>> disc to image.. And off course tried to copy the files manually..
>> Nothing seemed to work and they confirmed the disc itself is bad... They
>> say there is absolutely no possible way to get the whole disc to
>> fuction.. In fact, one of the technical guys placed a bet: if i could get
>> the data back myself or with the help of another firm i get a free coupon
>> of ?50,-.. He was that sure..
>>
>> So, it really seems i'm screwed unless someone here could help me out..
>> I guess there should be a fellow Dell user with a Dell branded disc of
>> Windows XP Media Center Edition in his possession?
>> Does anyone could upload a copy to me or to a newsgroup?
>>
>> A full Dutch copy is preferred, but a UK?US version (or the needed files)
>> i can work with..
>>
>> I'm really desparate and frustrated with Dell, so if someone could help
>> me out that would be great..
>> If wanted, i can offer a small fee for uploading.. (Paypal)
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Allegro.
>>
>> http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ...
>>
>>
>> "allegro" <allegro@flevonet.nl> schreef in bericht
>> news:422b2ac0$0$43074$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a Dell labeled Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 cd that i got
>>> with my system.
>>> A few weeks ago i wanted to reinstall the whole thing, but after a few
>>> minutes into install it failed because the cd was unreadible.
>>>
>>> I tried again and again, but no luck.
>>> So i decided to install my copy of Windows XP Home for now.
>>>
>>> I called and emailed Dell for a few weeks now, but they refuse to send
>>> me a
>>> new cd... They refuse to send a replacement after a month i heard, but
>>> then it was running fine, so)
>>>
>>> Because i just want a Dell version of MCE2005 (i have a Dell licence and
>>> key for that) i won't install a regular OEM copy.
>>>
>>> But, if someone could supply me with a copy of the discs or just the
>>> files that i need to make a regular OEM copy to a Dell copy
>>> -that doesn't need a key and activation on a Dell- that would be great.
>>> That way i could just use those files (about 12mb) on a regular OEM copy
>>> of a friend..
>>> I hope someone could help me out and could upload the needed files to a
>>> newsgroup or to my XDrive account:
>>> http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ...
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Allegro.
>>>
>>> P.S: If you have a Dutch version of the cd, the whole copy would be
>>> great,
>>> otherwise those 12mb of files would do.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> The files i need from the Dell labeled MCE2005 cd:
>>>
>>> -------- The needed files ---------
>>> In folder \I386:
>>> DPCDLL.DL_
>>> EULA.TXT
>>> NT5INF.CA_
>>> OEMBIOS.BI_
>>> OEMBIOS.CA_
>>> OEMBIOS.DA_
>>> OEMBIOS.SI_
>>> PIDGEN.DLL
>>> SETUPP.INI
>>> SETUPREG.HIV
>>> UNATTEND.TXT
>>> WINNT.SIF
>>>
>>> In folder I386\WIN9XUPG:
>>> WIN95UPG.INF
>>>
>>> Then you could archive it with Winzip or WinRar.
>>>
>>> You could create a batchfile that copies the needed files, from in my
>>> case
>>> the G: drive (cd-rom) to the folder C:\XPbios.
>>>
>>> Copy and paste this to a new txtfile (notepad) :
>>>
>>> @ECHO OFF
>>> :START
>>> MKDIR C:\XPbios
>>> MKDIR C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG
>>> COPY G:\I386\DPCDLL.DL_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>>> COPY G:\I386\EULA.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>>> COPY G:\I386\NT5INF.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>>> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.BI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>>> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>>> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.DA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>>> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.SI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>>> COPY G:\I386\PIDGEN.DLL "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>>> COPY G:\I386\SETUPP.INI "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>>> COPY G:\I386\SETUPREG.HIV "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>>> COPY G:\I386\WIN9XUPG\WIN95UPG.INF "C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG\" /Y /V
>>> COPY G:\I386\UNATTEND.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>>> COPY G:\I386\WINNT.SIF "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>>>
>>> Save as for instance XPbios.bat -you may have to edit location of cd and
>>> folder-, then save it and double cick it..
>>>
>>> On C:\ there is a new folder created called XPbios with the needed
>>> files,
>>> you can now use WinZip or WinRar and upload it to
>>> http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ...
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 7:45:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"allegro" <allegro@flevonet.nl> wrote in message
news:422c772f$0$28994$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
> Hi,
>
> I can answer this one fast because i allready tried contacting MS about
> this when i got my first rejection of a replacement cd from Dell.
> Then i tried MS, and ofcourse they told me i had to contact Dell for
> support, they can't help me with a OEM copy.
> However, i was told by support staff, that as long i have a Dell OEM
> MCE2005 cd key and licence i can use both a downloaded copy or a copy from
> another user as long it's a Dell copy..
> They also said, that if i keep my original (defective) disc when using a
> copy, that would be the best option.. Had something to do with proving
> ownership or something.. I guess it's the same as making a safety copy, i
> just have to resort to another disc for that..
>
> The problem is, i just can't find a Dell copy, not on the usenet or
> anywhere.. (most people i know with a Dell use XP Home or Pro, not MCE..)
> So, that's why i try here.. I just need a nice Dell user who could help me
> out by letting me have a safety/backup copy..
>
> And the other thing; i did contact the US CC of Dell a few months ago
> regarding an issue with my other system and the inability of Dell
> Netherlands to deal with it.
> They told me, they would like to help but could not because they could not
> use my order details, etc because it was ordered from the Dutch site..
> They promised to contact the Dutch Dell department, but haven't heard
> anything since and the issue wasn't resolved by them..
>
> So, i'm kinda lost... MS did not have a real problem when i get copy from
> another Dell user, as long i have my original cd, key and licence..
> However, i still need to find the disc itself.. Shouldn't be difficult,
> Dell group, fast internet connections.. Someone should be able to help me
> out, i guess..
> So please, let me now if anyone could upload the Dell branded MCE2005
> disc, Dutch version would be best.. But i can use another language if
> that's the only option..
>
> Allegro.
>


How about e-mailing Michael Dell's office? At this point, it surely
couldn't hurt - and by all means offer to return (in exchange for a working
replacement CD) the original flawed CD....

michael_dell@dell.com

The guy gets tons of e-mail, I'm sure, but I'd imagine he has a staff to
parse and push through legitimate problems such as these. Shoot, I'd try it
as it can't hurt anything.

I'd also continue posting to the Dell community forum, here, and other
places looking for a Dell user who has the MCE CD. If I had it, I'd burn a
copy for you this second.


Stew
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 9:41:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Thanks,

I'll try mailing Michael Dell, although i don't think it will help..

And, i did try the Dell comunnity forum, however didn't get much response
there, while here at least people reply..

So i'm still hoping someone on this group has it and would be so kind to
upload it..

Thanks,

Allegro.

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> schreef in bericht
news:QJ%Wd.7318$Q83.133@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
>
> "allegro" <allegro@flevonet.nl> wrote in message
> news:422c772f$0$28994$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can answer this one fast because i allready tried contacting MS about
>> this when i got my first rejection of a replacement cd from Dell.
>> Then i tried MS, and ofcourse they told me i had to contact Dell for
>> support, they can't help me with a OEM copy.
>> However, i was told by support staff, that as long i have a Dell OEM
>> MCE2005 cd key and licence i can use both a downloaded copy or a copy
>> from another user as long it's a Dell copy..
>> They also said, that if i keep my original (defective) disc when using a
>> copy, that would be the best option.. Had something to do with proving
>> ownership or something.. I guess it's the same as making a safety copy, i
>> just have to resort to another disc for that..
>>
>> The problem is, i just can't find a Dell copy, not on the usenet or
>> anywhere.. (most people i know with a Dell use XP Home or Pro, not MCE..)
>> So, that's why i try here.. I just need a nice Dell user who could help
>> me out by letting me have a safety/backup copy..
>>
>> And the other thing; i did contact the US CC of Dell a few months ago
>> regarding an issue with my other system and the inability of Dell
>> Netherlands to deal with it.
>> They told me, they would like to help but could not because they could
>> not use my order details, etc because it was ordered from the Dutch
>> site..
>> They promised to contact the Dutch Dell department, but haven't heard
>> anything since and the issue wasn't resolved by them..
>>
>> So, i'm kinda lost... MS did not have a real problem when i get copy from
>> another Dell user, as long i have my original cd, key and licence..
>> However, i still need to find the disc itself.. Shouldn't be difficult,
>> Dell group, fast internet connections.. Someone should be able to help me
>> out, i guess..
>> So please, let me now if anyone could upload the Dell branded MCE2005
>> disc, Dutch version would be best.. But i can use another language if
>> that's the only option..
>>
>> Allegro.
>>
>
>
> How about e-mailing Michael Dell's office? At this point, it surely
> couldn't hurt - and by all means offer to return (in exchange for a
> working replacement CD) the original flawed CD....
>
> michael_dell@dell.com
>
> The guy gets tons of e-mail, I'm sure, but I'd imagine he has a staff to
> parse and push through legitimate problems such as these. Shoot, I'd try
> it as it can't hurt anything.
>
> I'd also continue posting to the Dell community forum, here, and other
> places looking for a Dell user who has the MCE CD. If I had it, I'd burn
> a copy for you this second.
>
>
> Stew
>
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 2:11:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hi,

Mail to Mr. Dell sent and i also posted again on the Dell forums, and here.
Problem is, best would be to keep the message as clearly as possible.. ("In
need of MCE2005 cd, please upload..")
But of course i have to explain why i need it, that's OK. But i think most
of users with MCE2005 think: "i'm not gonna read all that.."
And maybe that's why noone yet offered to upload the disc.. Most other
reactions are great, but
think i didn't try all i could to get the disc working again.. ("Do you have
a dvd-rom player? Dell's MCE is on dvd..")

So, i still hope someone would react that actually HAS the disc and is
willing to upload..
Since i posted to the Dell forum and here, i posted it wherever i could
think of.. No idea where i could post besides these, since this is Dell
specific..

Thanks,

Allegro.

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> schreef in bericht
news:QJ%Wd.7318$Q83.133@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
>
> "allegro" <allegro@flevonet.nl> wrote in message
> news:422c772f$0$28994$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can answer this one fast because i allready tried contacting MS about
>> this when i got my first rejection of a replacement cd from Dell.
>> Then i tried MS, and ofcourse they told me i had to contact Dell for
>> support, they can't help me with a OEM copy.
>> However, i was told by support staff, that as long i have a Dell OEM
>> MCE2005 cd key and licence i can use both a downloaded copy or a copy
>> from another user as long it's a Dell copy..
>> They also said, that if i keep my original (defective) disc when using a
>> copy, that would be the best option.. Had something to do with proving
>> ownership or something.. I guess it's the same as making a safety copy, i
>> just have to resort to another disc for that..
>>
>> The problem is, i just can't find a Dell copy, not on the usenet or
>> anywhere.. (most people i know with a Dell use XP Home or Pro, not MCE..)
>> So, that's why i try here.. I just need a nice Dell user who could help
>> me out by letting me have a safety/backup copy..
>>
>> And the other thing; i did contact the US CC of Dell a few months ago
>> regarding an issue with my other system and the inability of Dell
>> Netherlands to deal with it.
>> They told me, they would like to help but could not because they could
>> not use my order details, etc because it was ordered from the Dutch
>> site..
>> They promised to contact the Dutch Dell department, but haven't heard
>> anything since and the issue wasn't resolved by them..
>>
>> So, i'm kinda lost... MS did not have a real problem when i get copy from
>> another Dell user, as long i have my original cd, key and licence..
>> However, i still need to find the disc itself.. Shouldn't be difficult,
>> Dell group, fast internet connections.. Someone should be able to help me
>> out, i guess..
>> So please, let me now if anyone could upload the Dell branded MCE2005
>> disc, Dutch version would be best.. But i can use another language if
>> that's the only option..
>>
>> Allegro.
>>
>
>
> How about e-mailing Michael Dell's office? At this point, it surely
> couldn't hurt - and by all means offer to return (in exchange for a
> working replacement CD) the original flawed CD....
>
> michael_dell@dell.com
>
> The guy gets tons of e-mail, I'm sure, but I'd imagine he has a staff to
> parse and push through legitimate problems such as these. Shoot, I'd try
> it as it can't hurt anything.
>
> I'd also continue posting to the Dell community forum, here, and other
> places looking for a Dell user who has the MCE CD. If I had it, I'd burn
> a copy for you this second.
>
>
> Stew
>
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:39:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hi,

Since no one seems to have it at the moment, i'll just wait if someone
replies and is willing to upload. Otherwise i just have to post this request
again.
Since i really wanted the system to run, i had to resort to a pirated copy..
I'm not very happy with that, but since no one will upload atm..
I just have to wait and see if someone would be so nice here to help me out,
since i know this isn't running a legal copy.
Running a Dell copy with my orig. Dell key and licence is..
But at least i have it running for now, although i would feel better with a
Dell copy..
Hi,

Still hope someone could help me out with this.. A Dutch uploaded copy would
be best, but other languages would work also..
Or just those 12mb of files to change a regular in a Dell copy.. I'm willing
to pay a small fee for it.. It's
also possible to send it by regular mail.. (Or usenet)


Thanks,

Allegro.

I picture i took with my budget camera of my defective copy (Dutch):
http://img87.exs.cx/img87/1228/dutchdellmce1bg.jpg

XDrive account
http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ...
User: altosaxo@hetnet.nl
Pass: upload

Best would be full (Dutch) disc, other wise 12mb of needed files would help:

The files i need from the Dell labeled MCE2005 cd:

-------- The needed files ---------
In folder \I386:
DPCDLL.DL_
EULA.TXT
NT5INF.CA_
OEMBIOS.BI_
OEMBIOS.CA_
OEMBIOS.DA_
OEMBIOS.SI_
PIDGEN.DLL
SETUPP.INI
SETUPREG.HIV
UNATTEND.TXT
WINNT.SIF

In folder I386\WIN9XUPG:
WIN95UPG.INF

Then you could archive it with Winzip or WinRar.

You could create a batchfile that copies the needed files, from in my case
the G: drive (cd-rom) to the folder C:\XPbios.

Copy and paste this to a new txtfile (notepad) :

@ECHO OFF
:START
MKDIR C:\XPbios
MKDIR C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG
COPY G:\I386\DPCDLL.DL_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\EULA.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\NT5INF.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.BI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.DA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.SI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\PIDGEN.DLL "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\SETUPP.INI "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\SETUPREG.HIV "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\WIN9XUPG\WIN95UPG.INF "C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\UNATTEND.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\WINNT.SIF "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V

Save as for instance XPbios.bat -you may have to edit location of cd and
folder-, then save it and double cick it..

On C:\ there is a new folder created called XPbios with the needed files,
you can now use WinZip or WinRar and upload it to
http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ...


"allegro" <allegro@flevonet.nl> schreef in bericht
news:422b2ac0$0$43074$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell labeled Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 cd that i got
> with my system.
> A few weeks ago i wanted to reinstall the whole thing, but after a few
> minutes into install it failed because the cd was unreadible.
>
> I tried again and again, but no luck.
> So i decided to install my copy of Windows XP Home for now.
>
> I called and emailed Dell for a few weeks now, but they refuse to send me
> a
> new cd... They refuse to send a replacement after a month i heard, but
> then it was running fine, so)
>
> Because i just want a Dell version of MCE2005 (i have a Dell licence and
> key for that) i won't install a regular OEM copy.
>
> But, if someone could supply me with a copy of the discs or just the files
> that i need to make a regular OEM copy to a Dell copy
> -that doesn't need a key and activation on a Dell- that would be great.
> That way i could just use those files (about 12mb) on a regular OEM copy
> of a friend..
> I hope someone could help me out and could upload the needed files to a
> newsgroup or to my XDrive account:
> http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Allegro.
>
> P.S: If you have a Dutch version of the cd, the whole copy would be great,
> otherwise those 12mb of files would do.
>
>
>
> The files i need from the Dell labeled MCE2005 cd:
>
> -------- The needed files ---------
> In folder \I386:
> DPCDLL.DL_
> EULA.TXT
> NT5INF.CA_
> OEMBIOS.BI_
> OEMBIOS.CA_
> OEMBIOS.DA_
> OEMBIOS.SI_
> PIDGEN.DLL
> SETUPP.INI
> SETUPREG.HIV
> UNATTEND.TXT
> WINNT.SIF
>
> In folder I386\WIN9XUPG:
> WIN95UPG.INF
>
> Then you could archive it with Winzip or WinRar.
>
> You could create a batchfile that copies the needed files, from in my case
> the G: drive (cd-rom) to the folder C:\XPbios.
>
> Copy and paste this to a new txtfile (notepad) :
>
> @ECHO OFF
> :START
> MKDIR C:\XPbios
> MKDIR C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG
> COPY G:\I386\DPCDLL.DL_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\EULA.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\NT5INF.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.BI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.DA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.SI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\PIDGEN.DLL "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\SETUPP.INI "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\SETUPREG.HIV "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\WIN9XUPG\WIN95UPG.INF "C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\UNATTEND.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\WINNT.SIF "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>
> Save as for instance XPbios.bat -you may have to edit location of cd and
> folder-, then save it and double cick it..
>
> On C:\ there is a new folder created called XPbios with the needed files,
> you can now use WinZip or WinRar and upload it to
> http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ...
>
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 5:02:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hi,

I wanted to update this thread, since i called Dell again today.
After been connected many times with diferent support personel, finally got
some confirmation:
The software return period (still not sure if it's 21 or 30 days) is the
reason i don't get a replacement.
Besides that, they removed MCE2005 from the software list, because they only
got a few orders and most people only want XP Home or Pro.

So, i guess this means i can forget any help from Dell.. I also mailed
Michael Dell himself, but i think even he can't help me if they dropped
support for MCE2005 in the Netherlands..
This seems to me like a total lack of service and support, even if i'm
willing to pay big bucks Dell can't help me.. I thought they should at least
have a few copies of MCE2005 (Dutch) in the factory.

So, unless someone was lucky enough to get a Dutch Dell copy of Windows XP
Media Center Edition 2005 disc, and is willing to upload or mail it by
regular mail.. I can just use any Dell copy of MCE2005.. Does not matter if
it's UK, US or any other language..

Uploading the full copy would be best, but if that's too much too ask, about
12mb of needed files would convert any regular OEM copy to a Dell copy..
Only thing is, i don't know the precise directory structure and label
(discname) anymore.. Somene could help me out? Anything i missed?
I tried cleaning the Dell dvd again, tried to polish it, but it was a bit
too much i guess.. Now i only get a "no disc" message after a few minutes..
But, since i never written down the directory structure or label/name of the
disc, i just have no idea what is on the Dell disc that's not on the regular
OEM?
I did not do a side by side comparison, but the 2cd's of the regular OEM are
800mb together, the Dell disc was larger if i remember correctly..
So, if someone could list the cdlabel and directory structure that would be
great..

To upload the full disc or the 12mb of needed files -specified below- (and
maybe the content i'm missing), you can use any binaries newsgroup or my
XDrive account:
http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ...
User: altosaxo@hetnet.nl
Pass: upload

So, maybe someone here could help me out. I'm willing to pay a small fee for
the upload if wanted..

Thanks in advance,

Allegro.

My Dell copy (now it's in much worser shape)
http://img87.exs.cx/img87/1228/dutchdellmce1bg.jpg

The files i need from the Dell labeled MCE2005 cd:

-------- The needed files ---------
In folder \I386:
DPCDLL.DL_
EULA.TXT
NT5INF.CA_
OEMBIOS.BI_
OEMBIOS.CA_
OEMBIOS.DA_
OEMBIOS.SI_
PIDGEN.DLL
SETUPP.INI
SETUPREG.HIV
UNATTEND.TXT
WINNT.SIF

In folder I386\WIN9XUPG:
WIN95UPG.INF

Then you could archive it with Winzip or WinRar.

You could create a batchfile that copies the needed files, from in my case
the G: drive (cd-rom) to the folder C:\XPbios.

Copy and paste this to a new txtfile (notepad) :

@ECHO OFF
:START
MKDIR C:\XPbios
MKDIR C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG
COPY G:\I386\DPCDLL.DL_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\EULA.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\NT5INF.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.BI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.DA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.SI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\PIDGEN.DLL "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\SETUPP.INI "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\SETUPREG.HIV "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\WIN9XUPG\WIN95UPG.INF "C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\UNATTEND.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\WINNT.SIF "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V

Save as for instance XPbios.bat -you may have to edit location of cd and
folder-, then save it and double cick it..

On C:\ there is a new folder created called XPbios with the needed files,
you can now use WinZip or WinRar and upload it to
http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ...
!