Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help me configure Win 7 for new Rig *new build*

Last response: in Windows 7
June 30, 2010 4:19:41 PM

Hey guys,

First off I have a question on relocating my current Windows 7. My laptop that I am using right now has Windows 7 64-bit. I also have a key that has not been used for a 32-bit Windows 7. I want to wipe my laptop and use that key for 64-bit install on my new PC and throw the 32-bit on my laptop. I have both disks ready to install and the keys, will I be able to "re-use" the 64-bit in this manor?

I am getting all my parts in today from newegg to build my new computer. This is my first build so I have a few questions on setting up the software. I bought this MOBO GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard and I have heard through reviews that you need to update the BIOS right away. I don't really know how to do that. I went to the GIGABYTE website and found the latest BIOS update and downloaded it. What do I do with this software once I start up my computer and enter the BIOS?? I am not really sure how to set this up or install Windows 7 from a freshly built PC.

Any suggestions, advice, answers, or direction to other articles would be very helpful because I want to build this PC today and have Windows 7 64-bit up and running :) 

Thanks,

Shockem :bounce: 

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
June 30, 2010 4:31:10 PM

Quote:
First off I have a question on relocating my current Windows 7. My laptop that I am using right now has Windows 7 64-bit. I also have a key that has not been used for a 32-bit Windows 7. I want to wipe my laptop and use that key for 64-bit install on my new PC and throw the 32-bit on my laptop. I have both disks ready to install and the keys, will I be able to "re-use" the 64-bit in this manor?

As long as your laptop is running a full retail version of Windows 7, the switch will be possible. However, if your laptop is running an OEM of Windows 7, then your Windows 7 64-bit is permanently tied to your laptop and you will not be able to transfer licensing to the new computer.

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach
June 30, 2010 4:37:30 PM

cassandraf_winteam said:
Quote:

As long as your laptop is running a full retail version of Windows 7, the switch will be possible. However, if your laptop is running an OEM of Windows 7, then your Windows 7 64-bit is permanently tied to your laptop and you will not be able to transfer licensing to the new computer.

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach

How do I know if it is an OEM or full retail version? I purchased each Windows 7 I have off of the msdnaa website from my school.

thanks
Related resources
June 30, 2010 6:53:24 PM

Hello Shocken,

When upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 you must upgrade the version currently installed within Windows Vista to the corresponding version in Windows 7. I.E. Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium; Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional; and Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. You also cannot upgrade a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit -- to migrate from 32-bit to 64-bit will require a custom install.
Additionally, you will not be able to "upgrade" from a 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64-bit -- the architecture between the two is too drastically different to allow such a change. To learn more about the differences between a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit please go to the following link: http://bit.ly/2aT3xP
I hope that helps you out!
You can also find lots of information on Windows 7 here in our Springboard website:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx
Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support
July 10, 2010 4:28:53 PM

Best answer selected by shockem.
!