system restore

i have windows xp with service pack 2 when i try to do a restore a message
comes saying that: system restore has been turned off by group policy. to
turn on system restore contact your domain administrator. I am the
administrator and can not turn it back on when i right click my
computer/proprties there is nothing relating to system restore it is driving
me mad. can anyone please help????? please please prety please??
Thank you
Amandio Pires

First run a virus scan as well as spyware, malware, etc. Some of these can
disable S.R.

The, follow these instructions,

In order to restore your system restore tab, you will need to edit the
registry. Be sure that you make a backup copy of the registry prior to
making any changes.

Go to Start>> Run. Type in: regedit [Enter]

Navigate to the following registry key;

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microso­ft\Windows NT\SystemRestore

Single click once on the entry; "SystemRestore" to empty its contents into
the right pane.

Find the entry "DisableSR", right click on it and delete it.

"A Pires" <APires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have windows xp with service pack 2 when i try to do a restore a message
> comes saying that: system restore has been turned off by group policy. to
> turn on system restore contact your domain administrator. I am the
> administrator and can not turn it back on when i right click my
> computer/proprties there is nothing relating to system restore it is
> driving
> me mad. can anyone please help????? please please prety please??
> Thank you
> Amandio Pires

Thanx Ivee but i never touched the registrys!! and I am not very confotable
in doing so I hope there will be a diferent solution before i go that way,
your help is much appreciated. I have to think about it. Thanx again anyway!!!

"lvee" wrote:

> First run a virus scan as well as spyware, malware, etc. Some of these can
> disable S.R.
>
> The, follow these instructions,
>
> In order to restore your system restore tab, you will need to edit the
> registry. Be sure that you make a backup copy of the registry prior to
> making any changes.
>
> Go to Start>> Run. Type in: regedit [Enter]
>
> Navigate to the following registry key;
>
> HKLM\Software\Policies\Microso­ft\Windows NT\SystemRestore
>
> Single click once on the entry; "SystemRestore" to empty its contents into
> the right pane.
>
> Find the entry "DisableSR", right click on it and delete it.
>
> "A Pires" <APires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i have windows xp with service pack 2 when i try to do a restore a message
> > comes saying that: system restore has been turned off by group policy. to
> > turn on system restore contact your domain administrator. I am the
> > administrator and can not turn it back on when i right click my
> > computer/proprties there is nothing relating to system restore it is
> > driving
> > me mad. can anyone please help????? please please prety please??
> > Thank you
> > Amandio Pires

Ivee I have 5 directories on registry editor and they are called as folow
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
HKEY_USERS
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG
They are all full of files and i have no idea where to look!!!
Can you give me a bit more information??? Please!!!! it will be appreciated
if you could.
Thank you very very much
Amandio Pires

"lvee" wrote:

> First run a virus scan as well as spyware, malware, etc. Some of these can
> disable S.R.
>
> The, follow these instructions,
>
> In order to restore your system restore tab, you will need to edit the
> registry. Be sure that you make a backup copy of the registry prior to
> making any changes.
>
> Go to Start>> Run. Type in: regedit [Enter]
>
> Navigate to the following registry key;
>
> HKLM\Software\Policies\Microso­ft\Windows NT\SystemRestore
>
> Single click once on the entry; "SystemRestore" to empty its contents into
> the right pane.
>
> Find the entry "DisableSR", right click on it and delete it.
>
> "A Pires" <APires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i have windows xp with service pack 2 when i try to do a restore a message
> > comes saying that: system restore has been turned off by group policy. to
> > turn on system restore contact your domain administrator. I am the
> > administrator and can not turn it back on when i right click my
> > computer/proprties there is nothing relating to system restore it is
> > driving
> > me mad. can anyone please help????? please please prety please??
> > Thank you
> > Amandio Pires

Go to
1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

click on the + sign to expand the hkkey_local_machine
then scroll down to

2. software, click on that and scroll down to

3. Policies...click on that and scroll to

4. Microsoft...click on that and scroll to

5. WindowsNT...click on that and scroll to

6. System restore...click on that and then look for , on the right side of
your screen (it's called a pane, and is separated from the left of your
screen by a dividing line) DisableSR.
Now, right click it and select delete. Then, close regedit and reboot your
system.

> Ivee I have 5 directories on registry editor and they are called as folow
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
> HKEY_USERS
> HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG
> They are all full of files and i have no idea where to look!!!
> Can you give me a bit more information??? Please!!!! it will be
> appreciated
> if you could.
> Thank you very very much
> Amandio Pires
>
> "lvee" wrote:
>
>> First run a virus scan as well as spyware, malware, etc. Some of these
>> can
>> disable S.R.
>>
>> The, follow these instructions,
>>
>> In order to restore your system restore tab, you will need to edit the
>> registry. Be sure that you make a backup copy of the registry prior to
>> making any changes.
>>
>> Go to Start>> Run. Type in: regedit [Enter]
>>
>> Navigate to the following registry key;
>>
>> HKLM\Software\Policies\Microso­ft\Windows NT\SystemRestore
>>
>> Single click once on the entry; "SystemRestore" to empty its contents
>> into
>> the right pane.
>>
>> Find the entry "DisableSR", right click on it and delete it.
>>
>> "A Pires" <APires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >i have windows xp with service pack 2 when i try to do a restore a
>> >message
>> > comes saying that: system restore has been turned off by group policy.
>> > turn on system restore contact your domain administrator. I am the
>> > administrator and can not turn it back on when i right click my
>> > computer/proprties there is nothing relating to system restore it is
>> > driving
>> > me mad. can anyone please help????? please please prety please??
>> > Thank you
>> > Amandio Pires

Thank You Ivee!!! very very much!!!
You are the best!!!
The problem is not a problem anymore!!!
You are the best and greatest Saviour!!!
I wish you all the best!!!
Thanx again.
Amandio Pires

"lvee" wrote:

> Go to
> 1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
>
> click on the + sign to expand the hkkey_local_machine
> then scroll down to
>
> 2. software, click on that and scroll down to
>
> 3. Policies...click on that and scroll to
>
> 4. Microsoft...click on that and scroll to
>
> 5. WindowsNT...click on that and scroll to
>
> 6. System restore...click on that and then look for , on the right side of
> your screen (it's called a pane, and is separated from the left of your
> screen by a dividing line) DisableSR.
> Now, right click it and select delete. Then, close regedit and reboot your
> system.
>
> "A Pires" <APires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ivee I have 5 directories on registry editor and they are called as folow
> > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
> > HKEY_USERS
> > HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG
> > They are all full of files and i have no idea where to look!!!
> > Can you give me a bit more information??? Please!!!! it will be
> > appreciated
> > if you could.
> > Thank you very very much
> > Amandio Pires
> >
> > "lvee" wrote:
> >
> >> First run a virus scan as well as spyware, malware, etc. Some of these
> >> can
> >> disable S.R.
> >>
> >> The, follow these instructions,
> >>
> >> In order to restore your system restore tab, you will need to edit the
> >> registry. Be sure that you make a backup copy of the registry prior to
> >> making any changes.
> >>
> >> Go to Start>> Run. Type in: regedit [Enter]
> >>
> >> Navigate to the following registry key;
> >>
> >> HKLM\Software\Policies\Microso­ft\Windows NT\SystemRestore
> >>
> >> Single click once on the entry; "SystemRestore" to empty its contents
> >> into
> >> the right pane.
> >>
> >> Find the entry "DisableSR", right click on it and delete it.
> >>
> >> "A Pires" <APires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ivee sorry but what shoul i do now with the backup file that i have put on my
desktop??? Should i delet it???
Thanx a lot you're the best!!!
Amandio Pires

"lvee" wrote:

> Go to
> 1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
>
> click on the + sign to expand the hkkey_local_machine
> then scroll down to
>
> 2. software, click on that and scroll down to
>
> 3. Policies...click on that and scroll to
>
> 4. Microsoft...click on that and scroll to
>
> 5. WindowsNT...click on that and scroll to
>
> 6. System restore...click on that and then look for , on the right side of
> your screen (it's called a pane, and is separated from the left of your
> screen by a dividing line) DisableSR.
> Now, right click it and select delete. Then, close regedit and reboot your
> system.
>
> "A Pires" <APires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ivee I have 5 directories on registry editor and they are called as folow
> > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
> > HKEY_USERS
> > HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG
> > They are all full of files and i have no idea where to look!!!
> > Can you give me a bit more information??? Please!!!! it will be
> > appreciated
> > if you could.
> > Thank you very very much
> > Amandio Pires
> >
> > "lvee" wrote:
> >
> >> First run a virus scan as well as spyware, malware, etc. Some of these
> >> can
> >> disable S.R.
> >>
> >> The, follow these instructions,
> >>
> >> In order to restore your system restore tab, you will need to edit the
> >> registry. Be sure that you make a backup copy of the registry prior to
> >> making any changes.
> >>
> >> Go to Start>> Run. Type in: regedit [Enter]
> >>
> >> Navigate to the following registry key;
> >>
> >> HKLM\Software\Policies\Microso­ft\Windows NT\SystemRestore
> >>
> >> Single click once on the entry; "SystemRestore" to empty its contents
> >> into
> >> the right pane.
> >>
> >> Find the entry "DisableSR", right click on it and delete it.
> >>
> >> "A Pires" <APires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

what backup file did you put on your desktop? I must have missed that in
your posts.
And, you are welcome, I'm glad your system restore is working...don't forget
to turn it on and create a new restore point. Although S.R. does create
points by default, you might want to create your own.

> Ivee sorry but what shoul i do now with the backup file that i have put on
> my
> desktop??? Should i delet it???
> Thanx a lot you're the best!!!
> Amandio Pires
>
> "lvee" wrote:
>
>> Go to
>> 1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
>>
>> click on the + sign to expand the hkkey_local_machine
>> then scroll down to
>>
>> 2. software, click on that and scroll down to
>>
>> 3. Policies...click on that and scroll to
>>
>> 4. Microsoft...click on that and scroll to
>>
>> 5. WindowsNT...click on that and scroll to
>>
>> 6. System restore...click on that and then look for , on the right side
>> of
>> your screen (it's called a pane, and is separated from the left of your
>> screen by a dividing line) DisableSR.
>> Now, right click it and select delete. Then, close regedit and reboot
>> your
>> system.
>>
>> "A Pires" <APires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ivee I have 5 directories on registry editor and they are called as
>> > folow
>> > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
>> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER
>> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
>> > HKEY_USERS
>> > HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG
>> > They are all full of files and i have no idea where to look!!!
>> > Can you give me a bit more information??? Please!!!! it will be
>> > appreciated
>> > if you could.
>> > Thank you very very much

Hi Pires,

You will now want to scan for virus and malware infection. This is
usually the cause of the Group Policy prompt.
Virus and Spyware removal and prevention:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/spyware.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

A Pires wrote:
> Thank You Ivee!!! very very much!!!
> You are the best!!!
> The problem is not a problem anymore!!!
> You are the best and greatest Saviour!!!
> I wish you all the best!!!
> Thanx again.
> Amandio Pires
>

> "lvee" wrote:
>
>> Go to
>> 1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
>>
>> click on the + sign to expand the hkkey_local_machine
>> then scroll down to
>>
>> 2. software, click on that and scroll down to
>>
>> 3. Policies...click on that and scroll to
>>
>> 4. Microsoft...click on that and scroll to
>>
>> 5. WindowsNT...click on that and scroll to
>>
>> 6. System restore...click on that and then look for ,
>> on the right side of your screen (it's called a pane,
>> and is separated from the left of your screen by a
>> dividing line) DisableSR.
>> Now, right click it and select delete. Then, close
>> regedit and reboot your system.
>>
>> "A Pires" <APires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>>> Ivee I have 5 directories on registry editor and they
>>> are called as folow HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
>>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
>>> HKEY_USERS
>>> HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG
>>> They are all full of files and i have no idea where to
>>> look!!!
>>> Can you give me a bit more information??? Please!!!! it
>>> will be appreciated
>>> if you could.
>>> Thank you very very much

Good call, I forgot to add that.

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi Pires,
>
> You will now want to scan for virus and malware infection. This is usually
> the cause of the Group Policy prompt.
> Virus and Spyware removal and prevention:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/spyware.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> A Pires wrote:
>> Thank You Ivee!!! very very much!!!
>> You are the best!!!
>> The problem is not a problem anymore!!!
>> You are the best and greatest Saviour!!!
>> I wish you all the best!!!
>> Thanx again.
>> Amandio Pires
>>

>> "lvee" wrote:
>>
>>> Go to
>>> 1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
>>>
>>> click on the + sign to expand the hkkey_local_machine
>>> then scroll down to
>>>
>>> 2. software, click on that and scroll down to
>>>
>>> 3. Policies...click on that and scroll to
>>>
>>> 4. Microsoft...click on that and scroll to
>>>
>>> 5. WindowsNT...click on that and scroll to
>>>
>>> 6. System restore...click on that and then look for ,
>>> on the right side of your screen (it's called a pane,
>>> and is separated from the left of your screen by a
>>> dividing line) DisableSR.
>>> Now, right click it and select delete. Then, close
>>> regedit and reboot your system.
>>>
>>> "A Pires" <APires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message

No problem, glad to be of assistance.

--

lvee wrote:
> Good call, I forgot to add that.
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote
>> Hi Pires,
>>
>> You will now want to scan for virus and malware
>> infection. This is usually the cause of the Group Policy
>> prompt. Virus and Spyware removal and prevention:
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/spyware.html
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> A Pires wrote:
>>> Thank You Ivee!!! very very much!!!
>>> You are the best!!!
>>> The problem is not a problem anymore!!!
>>> You are the best and greatest Saviour!!!
>>> I wish you all the best!!!
>>> Thanx again.

Hello Ivee again.
i made a backup of SystemRestore Directory to my desktop and now i don't
know what to do with it should i delete it???
Thank you.
Amandio Pires

"lvee" wrote:

> what backup file did you put on your desktop? I must have missed that in
> your posts.
> And, you are welcome, I'm glad your system restore is working...don't forget
> to turn it on and create a new restore point. Although S.R. does create
> points by default, you might want to create your own.
>
> "A Pires" <APires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ivee sorry but what shoul i do now with the backup file that i have put on
> > my
> > desktop??? Should i delet it???
> > Thanx a lot you're the best!!!
> > Amandio Pires
> >
> > "lvee" wrote:
> >
> >> Go to
> >> 1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
> >>
> >> click on the + sign to expand the hkkey_local_machine
> >> then scroll down to
> >>
> >> 2. software, click on that and scroll down to
> >>
> >> 3. Policies...click on that and scroll to
> >>
> >> 4. Microsoft...click on that and scroll to
> >>
> >> 5. WindowsNT...click on that and scroll to
> >>
> >> 6. System restore...click on that and then look for , on the right side
> >> of
> >> your screen (it's called a pane, and is separated from the left of your
> >> screen by a dividing line) DisableSR.
> >> Now, right click it and select delete. Then, close regedit and reboot
> >> your
> >> system.
> >>
> >> "A Pires" <APires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Are you referring to the System Volume Information folder?
If so, yes you can delete it. If not please explain.

--

A Pires wrote:
> Hello Ivee again.
> i made a backup of SystemRestore Directory to my desktop
> and now i don't know what to do with it should i delete
> it???
> Thank you.
> Amandio Pires
>
> "lvee" wrote:
>
>> what backup file did you put on your desktop? I must
>> have missed that in your posts.
>> And, you are welcome, I'm glad your system restore is
>> working...don't forget to turn it on and create a new
>> restore point. Although S.R. does create points by
>> default, you might want to create your own.
>>
>> "A Pires" <APires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>>> Ivee sorry but what shoul i do now with the backup file
>>> that i have put on my
>>> desktop??? Should i delet it???
>>> Thanx a lot you're the best!!!

Thanx Bert!!
I Am refering to the systemrestore backup.
I made a backup before deleting the disablesr file!!
Thanx again
Amandio Pires

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Are you referring to the System Volume Information folder?
> If so, yes you can delete it. If not please explain.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> A Pires wrote:
> > Hello Ivee again.
> > i made a backup of SystemRestore Directory to my desktop
> > and now i don't know what to do with it should i delete
> > it???
> > Thank you.
> > Amandio Pires
> >
> > "lvee" wrote:
> >
> >> what backup file did you put on your desktop? I must
> >> have missed that in your posts.
> >> And, you are welcome, I'm glad your system restore is
> >> working...don't forget to turn it on and create a new
> >> restore point. Although S.R. does create points by
> >> default, you might want to create your own.
> >>
> >> "A Pires" <APires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

Place the files in the Recycle Bin for a few day and if all runs fine,
then delete them from the Recycle Bin.