FartCry Patch 1.3 nearing release?

Just details from UBI;

<A HREF="http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?q=Y&a=tpc&s=400102&f=452106891&m=5411021032&p=1" target="_new">http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?q=Y&a=tpc&s=400102&f=452106891&m=5411021032&p=1</A>

Brace yourselves for another flood of reviews once it hits with all it's expected new features. Also be sure to check and see if Anandtech F's up this review like they did the last patch.

They mention normal map compression, but nothing about 3DC.

It'll be interesting to see the visual improvements, the only true mention of it is in reference to the bump mapping tweak.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Plus for NV40 users there are displacement-mapped surfaces and HDR lighting. I think they're using the PS3.0 implementations for both of those unfortunately for the X800 camp.

<A HREF="http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030512/geforce_fx_5900-10.html#doom_iii_special_preview" target="_new">GeForceFX 5900 Ultra: The Way FX is Meant to be Played!!</A>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
too bad i already got rid of that game from my system. Though i have 100 G of space left, but not for that :smile: . If the patch makes the game look better, i might reinstall it, gaze at the graphics, and shove it back in the trash bin.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:

cleeve

Illustrious
I've gotta say, having played both, FarCry kicks Doom3's ass as far as gameplay goes, and it's 90% as pretty to boot.

It's too bad for the devs that the Doom3 hype was so high, they really deserved more attention.

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
Well i do think doom 3 was pretty good. Farcry was more fun tho.

Click <font color=blue><A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">HERE</A></font color=blue> if you real<b>l</b>y are an <font color=red>idiot</font color=red>.

dd_viper

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
i think doom was more fun because i enjoy overcoming enemies using overpowering firepower. farcry, although fun, is more of a sneaky play back and shoot kinda game

"Freeze, your under arrest for the murder of Moe Sislack and Apu Nahasapasa...OK nevermind, just moe."

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I think they exaggerated the enemy "AI" in Far Cry, everybody said it was supposed to be great. Some enemies are ridiculously hard, but then I've seen enemies do the stupidest sh*t ever in that game. Thief:DS has some retarded antics as well.

Hopefully HL2 will have really great AI in it, because it's really beginning to hold games back. I read an interview with John Carmack a while ago where he was explaining that the next big revolution is going to have to be the way that characters and monsters interact with one another and their environments. An interesting comment coming from someone who is obsessed with rendering, but he's no fool.

Amazing graphics cannot make up for bad movement and a lack of interaction and emotion. Refining this, of course, will change the way that games are designed <i>and</i> played, and it will require more resources being devoted to the models. Computers are already insanely powerful, and only getting faster, so now what developers need to do is make the characters more believable in their movements and emotions.

<A HREF="http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030512/geforce_fx_5900-10.html#doom_iii_special_preview" target="_new">GeForceFX 5900 Ultra: The Way FX is Meant to be Played!!</A>

cleeve

Illustrious
Wow, alot of Doom3 support here.

More power to you fellas, although I didn't see what you guys did in that game. I could barely play through half of it before I got tired of it... go around corner, trigger monster. Rinse & repeat.

It was beautiful, but Far Cry had me coming back until I had it done.

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
I didn't like doom3 that much, might've been because it ran like [-peep-] on my system. I liked farcry a lot.

<font color=blue>AthlonXP-M 2500+(12x200)</font color=blue>|<font color=green>Abit NF7-S</font color=green>|<font color=red>Kingston DDR400 2x256Mb</font color=red>|<font color=purple>NEC Accucync90 19"</font color=purple>|<font color=black>Sapphire 9600XT</font color=black>

Yeah it's not as bad as my name-calling makes it out to be but I still don't like the game, not that D3 has proved to be stellar game play it was highly anticipated. Both suck for enemy AI IMO (although they are improvements over many others, just not what I expected), and I just didn't really get into the game. I'm having alot more fun with UT2K4 (even old Morrowind, NHL2003 [got a free copy of 2005 but haven't decided whether to keep it or not] and GTA-VC) than I ever did with F-Cry or D3. Even the graphics for FC aren't that impressive, not compared to the texture mods of Morrowind (even on DX8.1 cards).

Anywhoo, I am interested in seeing the new features implemented because really there was all this noise about SM3.0 and 3Dc, this 1.3 patch is supposed to show us some of that. Personally I have my pre-order of HL2 (just want to be sure to get a DVD version instead of 80 million CDs [although someone mentioned all version will be DVD now not CD]), and that's the game I expect good game play in. And heck it's only $5, which equals one Frag-accino at a working lunch, and I also picked up that cool 'console' at the same time :wink: .

As much as shiny water impresses for a few seconds, just like D3 if there's no heart/soul to the game I'll sell it back to EB, FS or WalMart in no time. And that's just it, FartCry's Demo made me say, Ooohhh, then Eeeh, whatever. And that may have been their downfall. The D3 demo wasn't available until LONG AFTER the game was released, so more people had to actually play it before finding flaws.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Too bad you said all that before I did , and reading it after my post I have to say, "I know whatcha mean, man."

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
STALKER... anyone?! :p

<A HREF="http://www.stalker-game.com/index.php?t=downloads&s=movies" target="_new">http://www.stalker-game.com/index.php?t=downloads&s=movies</A>

I have been waiting for this game for soooo long :(

Abit IC7 Max II Advance - P4E3.0@3.45- i865PE - 1024mb dual ddr400 - Leadtek 6800 128mb@380/850 - 600W dualfan(front/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b

Game play looks very good for stalker, but the animation of the animals looked TERRIBLE. AI examples so far have been great though, especially the movie of the security detail taking cover behind the APC and lobing and reacting to grenades and providing cover fire, etc.

The graphics don't look impressive, but the AI looks awesome, definitely. Just hope it's not like FartCry where the preview doesn't live up to the actual thing.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
they had too much AI, hell if i cant shoot from a miles distance, i expect them not to shoot. Though it was fund to tackle them. I was pretty pissed at a few moments. I wud rate D3 more than FarCry bcos of its scary enviroment. It brought abt something new like shyamalans scary moments. Though the gameplay was [-peep-] (STORY WISE) but Carmack made up for everything else. Lets see what the fat guy gotta offer in HL2. :smile:

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
I like rusty things... postnuclear cyber-industrial sceneries.

The animation does look kinda choppy in the vids, but the psysics are amazing. I recall the screenshots to look a lot better though. Did you ever get a chance to catch the "weapons of stalker" video? ;)

I love the idea of a day-night (read: complete 24h) cycle, and the toms´review was very appealing. I must admit being one of the few anticipating this game higher than HL2.

Abit IC7 Max II Advance - P4E3.0@3.45- i865PE - 1024mb dual ddr400 - Leadtek 6800 128mb@380/850 - 600W dualfan(front/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b

pauldh

Illustrious
To me FarCry was alot more fun than Doom 3(demo). Farcry's demo made me go out and buy the game ASAP, while D3 demo made me happy I returned mine unopened. But I prefer the large outdoor environements to dark small ones.

If the enemies hit you from far away and you couldn't hit them, somethings wrong. Stop Running and go prone :wink: and you should be able to pick them off fine.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Yeah and gimme 3Dc so I can notice a difference (in others' benchmarks of course) on MY type of card.

I'm very interested in the technical aspects offered by the game, glad others like playing it enough so that there'll be an active development push for the games/features.

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
"I've gotta say, having played both, FarCry kicks Doom3's ass as far as gameplay goes, and it's 90% as pretty to boot."

I think Farcrys visuals far outclassed doom 3.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
"John Carmack a while ago where he was explaining that the next big revolution is going to have to be the way that characters and monsters interact with one another and their environments."

Funny hearing him say that, it would be nice if doom had any AI at all, let alone the odd scripted event. I dont call all monsters charging you AI. I call it nintendo.

"Both suck for enemy AI IMO"

Grape I dont think farcrys AI was anything ground breaking, but it blew the hell out of dooms.

Its cool you like the cry engine though, have you tried checking out any of the mods for Farcry, maybe if fartcry aint your thing,maybe someone will make a mod that will pertain to your tastes more.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rx7000 on 10/21/04 11:42 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

I havent' written it off, I'm just not playing it again until someone has that killer app/mod.

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
dude, Farcry's visuals far outclassed everything ;)

Abit IC7 Max II Advance - P4E3.0@3.45- i875P - 1024mb dual ddr400 3-2-2-6 - Leadtek 6800 128mb@380/850 - 600W dualfan(front/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b

eden

Champion
One thing I found DOOM III to have that no game so far had, was whenever fluidity was present, there was a strong CG feel. That alone still makes me go "Ooooohhh" and "Ahhhhhh" playing it. That's also the feel of smelling Carmack's coffee keeping him up making the engine so well optimized. :wink:

--
<font color=blue>Ede</font color=blue>