Mike

Splendid

Hi...
I bought a little DELL 2400 and it only came with an unpartitioned 40G
HDD. It is loaded with stuff that I knew I could Delete, and did so,
but some others I'm not sure of.

I have - "I386" and all its million files, on my C drive. Since I
didn't have it before on another machine, may I assume that I may
delete the whole thing? Also, what about Page Files, PC Health,
RECYCLERS, Prefetch...are all these necessary for maximum efficiency?

I wish my Bachor pad was a clean !!!!!

I wonder what else I can ZAP to make more room on my HDD?

I do the regular RIGHT CLICK on "C" and the little aids there as often
as I can...maybe twice a week. And I use V-COM's FIX IT to clean the
Registry and defrag it every month or so.

Thanks, for all the great help I've been getting!

Mike
Picture Rocks AZ

Leave your existing files "as is" or risk reinstalling
Windows XP from scratch.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"MIke" wrote:

| Hi...
| I bought a little DELL 2400 and it only came with an unpartitioned 40G
| HDD. It is loaded with stuff that I knew I could Delete, and did so,
| but some others I'm not sure of.
|
| I have - "I386" and all its million files, on my C drive. Since I
| didn't have it before on another machine, may I assume that I may
| delete the whole thing? Also, what about Page Files, PC Health,
| RECYCLERS, Prefetch...are all these necessary for maximum efficiency?
|

| I wish my Bachor pad was a clean !!!!!
|
| I wonder what else I can ZAP to make more room on my HDD?
|
| I do the regular RIGHT CLICK on "C" and the little aids there as often
| as I can...maybe twice a week. And I use V-COM's FIX IT to clean the
| Registry and defrag it every month or so.
|
| Thanks, for all the great help I've been getting!
|
| Mike
| Picture Rocks AZ

Merry Maids
http://www.merrymaids.com/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mike" wrote:

"I wish my Bachor pad was a clean !!!!!"

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

The Dell 2400 is a DOG ! It was born a DOG, and nothing you can do will will
help it except replace the Motherboard and CPU with one that is worth
putting in there. The Motherboard and Celeron CPU that Dell used in the 2400
was a "LOW END" piece of GARBAGE that any old 500 AMD will Out perform in
almast every way.
Trash it and "Dell" and buy or build a Cheap O with an AMD CPU and an old
SOYO Mainboard.

It will run better and be more dependable
"MIke" <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi...
> I bought a little DELL 2400 and it only came with an unpartitioned 40G
> HDD. It is loaded with stuff that I knew I could Delete, and did so,
> but some others I'm not sure of.
>
> I have - "I386" and all its million files, on my C drive. Since I
> didn't have it before on another machine, may I assume that I may
> delete the whole thing? Also, what about Page Files, PC Health,
> RECYCLERS, Prefetch...are all these necessary for maximum efficiency?
>

> I wish my Bachor pad was a clean !!!!!
>
> I wonder what else I can ZAP to make more room on my HDD?
>
> I do the regular RIGHT CLICK on "C" and the little aids there as often
> as I can...maybe twice a week. And I use V-COM's FIX IT to clean the
> Registry and defrag it every month or so.
>
> Thanks, for all the great help I've been getting!
>
> Mike
> Picture Rocks AZ

frodo

\I386 at the root of your drive is most likely the XP install directory.
removing it isn't going to make the machine any faster, tho it will free
up some space. back it up first!

leave \prefetch alone, it makes your machine faster.

recycles is the trash can, empty it. run Disk Cleanup util to delete
other temp stuff. again, it's not going to really make a big diff.

as said, the 2400 is not a very fast machine, it'll never win any races.

the usual things can improve speed: disable unnecessary startup
items/service, defrag the drive, be sure to let Task Scheduler Service
run, and leave the machine idle for an hour or so, so that the
boot-optimize defrag can run. [run manually: defrag c: /b] [this is the
guy that uses the layout.ini file inside \prefetch, which is built from
all those .pf's in there]

TRENDING THREADS