CD/DVD Rom keeps going missing

May 20, 2005 9:15:13 AM

Hi, I've started having problems with my CD-RW/DVD combi drive going missing
from Windows Explorer. I boot the system, and in most instances the drive
just does not appear. It has power, and spins up if I put a cd in, but no way
to access it. If I 'Scan for hardware changes' in device manager it finds the
drive and I can use it as normal to view CDs and DVDs.

I've tried carrying out the following registry tweek that was suggested to me:

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
Key Name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Value Data: [Delete All Value Data from UpperFilters and LowerFilters]
Note: Do not delete the Key or the Multi-String Values. Delete only the data
values.
Exit Registry and Reboot

This however did not work, and in fact the problem seems more intermittant
than the one this tweek is designed to correct, as on occasion the drive is
recognised upon boot. Does anyone have any suggestions? My system info is:

Acer Aspire Notebook 1360
Windows XP Home SP2
512 Mb DDR Ram
40Gb HDD
Sempron Processor 2.4GHz
Matshita UJDA760 DVD/CDRW

Finally, I'm not sure if this is related, but aound the same time as this
started happening, the mouse pointer has started freezing briefly before
suddenly catching up, so it does not move smoothely across the screen. Many
thanks,

Sam

More about : dvd rom missing

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 9:24:02 AM

Sadly, afterall I've just written, the drive will now no longer be detected
by device manager when I scan for changes. Also, before it vanished the last
time I received an error message saying the pc could not access the drive
because of an I/O error. I was thinking this was a Windows issue, but I
wondering now if it might be a hardware problem? Any ideas?

Sam

"Salex" wrote:

> Hi, I've started having problems with my CD-RW/DVD combi drive going missing
> from Windows Explorer. I boot the system, and in most instances the drive
> just does not appear. It has power, and spins up if I put a cd in, but no way
> to access it. If I 'Scan for hardware changes' in device manager it finds the
> drive and I can use it as normal to view CDs and DVDs.
>
> I've tried carrying out the following registry tweek that was suggested to me:
>
> Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
> Key Name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
> Value Data: [Delete All Value Data from UpperFilters and LowerFilters]
> Note: Do not delete the Key or the Multi-String Values. Delete only the data
> values.
> Exit Registry and Reboot
>
> This however did not work, and in fact the problem seems more intermittant
> than the one this tweek is designed to correct, as on occasion the drive is
> recognised upon boot. Does anyone have any suggestions? My system info is:
>
> Acer Aspire Notebook 1360
> Windows XP Home SP2
> 512 Mb DDR Ram
> 40Gb HDD
> Sempron Processor 2.4GHz
> Matshita UJDA760 DVD/CDRW
>
> Finally, I'm not sure if this is related, but aound the same time as this
> started happening, the mouse pointer has started freezing briefly before
> suddenly catching up, so it does not move smoothely across the screen. Many
> thanks,
>
> Sam

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 12:00:26 PM

Possible Fix:

Visit http://www.aumha.org/regfiles.php#cdgone and click on
"Restore Missing CD Drive".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Salex" wrote:

| Hi, I've started having problems with my CD-RW/DVD combi drive going missing
| from Windows Explorer. I boot the system, and in most instances the drive
| just does not appear. It has power, and spins up if I put a cd in, but no way
| to access it. If I 'Scan for hardware changes' in device manager it finds the
| drive and I can use it as normal to view CDs and DVDs.
|
| I've tried carrying out the following registry tweek that was suggested to me:
|
| Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
| Key Name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
| Value Data: [Delete All Value Data from UpperFilters and LowerFilters]
| Note: Do not delete the Key or the Multi-String Values. Delete only the data
| values.
| Exit Registry and Reboot
|
| This however did not work, and in fact the problem seems more intermittant
| than the one this tweek is designed to correct, as on occasion the drive is
| recognised upon boot. Does anyone have any suggestions? My system info is:
|
| Acer Aspire Notebook 1360
| Windows XP Home SP2
| 512 Mb DDR Ram
| 40Gb HDD
| Sempron Processor 2.4GHz
| Matshita UJDA760 DVD/CDRW
|
| Finally, I'm not sure if this is related, but aound the same time as this
| started happening, the mouse pointer has started freezing briefly before
| suddenly catching up, so it does not move smoothely across the screen. Many
| thanks,
|
| Sam
May 20, 2005 12:00:27 PM

Hi, tanks for the response, I tried the fix you suggested but sadly it hasn't
worked. Thanks anyway,

Sam

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Possible Fix:
>
> Visit http://www.aumha.org/regfiles.php#cdgone and click on
> "Restore Missing CD Drive".
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Salex" wrote:
>
> | Hi, I've started having problems with my CD-RW/DVD combi drive going missing
> | from Windows Explorer. I boot the system, and in most instances the drive
> | just does not appear. It has power, and spins up if I put a cd in, but no way
> | to access it. If I 'Scan for hardware changes' in device manager it finds the
> | drive and I can use it as normal to view CDs and DVDs.
> |
> | I've tried carrying out the following registry tweek that was suggested to me:
> |
> | Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
> | Key Name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
> | Value Data: [Delete All Value Data from UpperFilters and LowerFilters]
> | Note: Do not delete the Key or the Multi-String Values. Delete only the data
> | values.
> | Exit Registry and Reboot
> |
> | This however did not work, and in fact the problem seems more intermittant
> | than the one this tweek is designed to correct, as on occasion the drive is
> | recognised upon boot. Does anyone have any suggestions? My system info is:
> |
> | Acer Aspire Notebook 1360
> | Windows XP Home SP2
> | 512 Mb DDR Ram
> | 40Gb HDD
> | Sempron Processor 2.4GHz
> | Matshita UJDA760 DVD/CDRW
> |
> | Finally, I'm not sure if this is related, but aound the same time as this
> | started happening, the mouse pointer has started freezing briefly before
> | suddenly catching up, so it does not move smoothely across the screen. Many
> | thanks,
> |
> | Sam

May 20, 2005 5:04:10 PM

I had this same thing happen to me about a year ago, and also tried Kelly's
fix, now have a brand new drive that doesn't have that problem as the old
one just didn't work anymore. Figured it out by testing on another system.
Maybe you could do that same test. If it doesn't work on another PC then it
is bad...or going bad.

George

"Salex" <Salex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, tanks for the response, I tried the fix you suggested but sadly it
hasn't
> worked. Thanks anyway,
>
> Sam
>

> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Possible Fix:
> >
> > Visit http://www.aumha.org/regfiles.php#cdgone and click on
> > "Restore Missing CD Drive".
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP - Shell/User
> > Microsoft Newsgroups
> >
> > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

-----------------

> > "Salex" wrote:
> >
> > | Hi, I've started having problems with my CD-RW/DVD combi drive going
missing
> > | from Windows Explorer. I boot the system, and in most instances the
drive
> > | just does not appear. It has power, and spins up if I put a cd in, but
no way
> > | to access it. If I 'Scan for hardware changes' in device manager it
finds the
> > | drive and I can use it as normal to view CDs and DVDs.
> > |
> > | I've tried carrying out the following registry tweek that was
suggested to me:

> > | Registry Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
> > | Key Name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
> > | Value Data: [Delete All Value Data from UpperFilters and LowerFilters]
> > | Note: Do not delete the Key or the Multi-String Values. Delete only
the data
> > | values.
> > | Exit Registry and Reboot
> > |
> > | This however did not work, and in fact the problem seems more
intermittant
> > | than the one this tweek is designed to correct, as on occasion the
drive is
> > | recognised upon boot. Does anyone have any suggestions? My system info
is:

> > | Acer Aspire Notebook 1360
> > | Windows XP Home SP2
> > | 512 Mb DDR Ram
> > | 40Gb HDD
> > | Sempron Processor 2.4GHz
> > | Matshita UJDA760 DVD/CDRW
> > |
> > | Finally, I'm not sure if this is related, but aound the same time as
this
> > | started happening, the mouse pointer has started freezing briefly
before
> > | suddenly catching up, so it does not move smoothely across the screen.
Many
> > | thanks,
> > |
> > | Sam

May 21, 2005 12:08:41 AM

Thanks George, I was starting to think it may be a hardware fault. Sadly I
can't test the drive on another system as it's a notebook and the dive is
not removeable. It's still under warranty though so I should be able to get
it replaced if it is faulty.

!