The word "MAME" & ebay

Okay, so what happened? Did the Ultragay Fag-licker-cade guy get the
rights to the word MAME?

Because, it appears that ebay is cancling all auctions with that word
in them. I thought that word was public domain.

Can anybody shed some light on this for me?

Mikey May Camelface
31 answers Last reply
More about word mame ebay

    actually i think the mame developers were able to trademark the name
    after that guy tried to grab it or whatever.

    they might be going the extra step now and enforcing the trademark.

    www.mame.net probably has more info.

    k.

    drmoonsparkle@aol.com wrote:
    > Okay, so what happened? Did the Ultragay Fag-licker-cade guy get the
    > rights to the word MAME?

    I hope so and maybe eBay sellers will have to quit spamming their
    auctions with MAME in the title and description.

    It is lame to use Mame :)

    He gave up on his attempt to secure a trademark on it. Last I heard the
    rightful owner of MAME got it. Don't know why Ebay would be cancelling any
    MAME-related unless *someone* is still stirring up trouble...

    <drmoonsparkle@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Okay, so what happened? Did the Ultragay Fag-licker-cade guy get the
    > rights to the word MAME?
    >
    > Because, it appears that ebay is cancling all auctions with that word
    > in them. I thought that word was public domain.
    >
    > Can anybody shed some light on this for me?
    >
    > Mikey May Camelface

    taken straight from mame.net

    "Even though MAME allows people to enjoy the long-lost arcade games and
    even some newer ones, the main purpose of the project is to document
    the hardware (and software) of the arcade games. There are already many
    dead arcade boards, whose function has been brought to life in MAME.
    Being able to play the games is just a nice side-effect."

    A side effect. A side effect harnessed by those NOT affiliated with
    the MAME project to gain financially from hundreds of DONATED man hours
    to produce a system that was NEVER intended for home arcade use. Any
    noone can see why they are pissed?

    Good for them. Try using the name of what your SELLING to gain
    interest in your product.

    As far as MAME is concerned? I totally appreciate what they do, and
    cannot stand those who abuse the system by peddling that junk that has
    most people tearing apart classics or running out to home depot to get
    a truck full of wood.

    What the hell has happened to the world? Remember the quote "I brought
    you into this world, I'll take you out?" -> RIGHT ON!

    When someone creates something it should be thier personal right to
    defend the idea, it's workings, it's purpose, and the goals encircling
    it. I think it;s a shame that people are bitching about what they want
    done with thier creation. It belongs to them. Let them decide where
    they do and do not want the name and live with it.

    It is NOT your choice.. and if your so offended boycott MAME.. I'm
    sure they just won't know what to do with themselves when they hear
    they stand to lose the money that your not paying them..

    Frankly I'm glad they are restricting the name and system to the
    purpose it was intended for. Push the MAMERS out of the market and
    maybe the market for *my* *real* games will go back up where a classic
    belongs.

    - Matt

    Zad,

    Read KLOV's acceptable use policy. You are most certainy permitted to
    do what people are doing with KLOV entries on thier auctions. No harm
    No foul.

    Steve,

    Deep down in the core of me I have my beliefs like everyone else that
    are simplistic, to the point, and I will not budge on them. I am
    adament about believing that it is your decision to decide where the
    fruits of your labor go and how they are used. They just plain have
    every right in my eyes, even if they don't hold a copywrite at all. It
    is a SHAME that we need things like copywrites and patents to protect
    our ideas. Then again, how rampant is the "honor system" anymore? Do
    you have children? how would you feel if the court system told you you
    had no more rights to them in any way? a little drastic I suppose, but
    on the same subject for sure.

    My .02

    - Matt

    When all this started, I had a hunch that the ultracade guy, acutally did it
    on purpose to get someone to trademark the name, and therefore achieving his
    goal, he really didn't want to own it himself, he just did this to get
    someone else to cop to it.

    am i making sence? or is 4 beers enough?

    <drmoonsparkle@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Okay, so what happened? Did the Ultragay Fag-licker-cade guy get the
    > rights to the word MAME?
    >
    > Because, it appears that ebay is cancling all auctions with that word
    > in them. I thought that word was public domain.
    >
    > Can anybody shed some light on this for me?
    >
    > Mikey May Camelface

  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Ultracade wanted the trademark for themselves so they could be the only
    "legitmate" facet on and off of ebay. It backfired and hurt them much
    more.

    Mame dev needs to get a list of respected producers and licence it out.
    Take the royalties and re-invest in rare arcade boards. Heck they can
    keep the re-investments for pizza or something. They really do deserve
    that trademark.They DO need legitimate facets though. If they are going
    to require "express consent" they should have some one trusted use it
    on a regular basis.

    my -2 cents

    -isaac
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    OK I read the article and I don't see your point.

    1. STATUTORY FAIR USE applies for descriptive trademarks. MAME is a
    made up word so not applicable.

    3. COMPARATIVE ADVERTISING AS FAIR USE doesn't seem to apply as there
    is no competition comparing itself to mame.

    4. PARODY AS FAIR USE, nope.

    That leaves 2. NOMINATIVE USE AS FAIR USE

    The very first thing it says is:
    [W]here the defendant uses a trademark to describe the plaintiff's
    product, rather than its own, we hold that a commercial user is
    entitled to a nominative fair use defense provided he meets the
    following three requirements: First, the product or service in question
    must be one not readily identifiable without use of the trademark;
    second, only so much of the mark or marks may be used as is reasonably
    necessary to identify the product or service; and third, the use must
    do nothing that would, in conjunction with the mark, suggest
    sponsorship or endorsement by the trademark holder.

    That fails the very first test. You can easily refer to mame as the
    major arcade emulator. Really, there's not even a close second. Kind
    of like every January when the commercials all advertise tickets to
    "the big game" or the "football championship"

    I for one am sick of seeing Mame fingerboards and mame buttons in the
    arcade category of ebay.

    Dave

    PS IANAL
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I see many of the points being posted... Yes, sellers like me, do use
    certain words to get hits. However, ebay both encourages and
    discourages the practice. From time-to-time, ebay will send me a
    letter explaining how to look for and use "hot keywords" words that
    appear in their most popular auctions. Yet, they discourage the
    practice in other places within site.

    In the past, I have sold many cabinets and coindoors as a stating place
    to build any game related project. My main customer base, in that
    case, would be for people who dream of have a cabinet that they can do
    anything they want with. The point is, there is a market for these
    usually undesired left-overs. I like the idea of something seeing use
    rather than being dumped.

    As for the classics, I rarely part one out. I hate to even think of
    it. However, there are times when I cannot sell a full game and I have
    to bust out the tools. People start asking if I can ship just this or
    just that. That is the fate of my Tac/Scan. I will soon be selling
    off the parts to those who wish to complete their game or make it
    look/work better. I would think that such a practice betters the
    collecting community even thought it is depressing to see a classic cab
    robbed of its attire.

    But what of the leftovers? Rusty coindoors and flawed cabs are usually
    left to rot. Why not save some landfill space and let some one build a
    project out of it??? Hell, even Art has trouble giving away decent
    cabs, and has to trash them, at times.

    As for the mame project, I have offered my PCBs up to have their ROMs
    copied in the past and would do so anytime if it is asked of me. I
    think it is great to have these games backed up. But these devs have
    gone to far as to say that we cannot use a public domain word (which it
    is) in our auctions. A monster has been created.

    I have not gotten rich off selling flawed cabs and rusty coindoors for
    a few bucks here and there. I just sold items to people that could use
    them while keeping my trash bin empty. If I am unable to use the word,
    thats fine I have other things to sell. I just find it down right
    silly.

    People that wish to build emulaters will not be stopped by ebay's and
    the dev's actions. I am just curious what their motives are??? Are
    they afraid of the manufactors comming after them for opening Pandora's
    box? Can they be held liable for all those mame-powered games loose in
    the world? Who scared them: Namco, Ultradouche, IT, or someone else?

    Just my dollar twenty-five
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    drmoonsparkle@aol.com wrote in news:1117747355.707144.327580
    @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Okay, so what happened?

    See here:

    http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,37734.0.html

    --
    Do you want a free iPod?
    http://www.freeipods.com/?r=15154431

    You can't sell anything "MAME".

    You can sell something "compatible with Mame" however.

    People were selling MAME artwork, Mame cabinets, Mame buttons, Mame
    joysticks.

    They are not MAME. They are Happ Joysticks that *can be used* for Mame....
    etc...

    <drmoonsparkle@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Okay, so what happened? Did the Ultragay Fag-licker-cade guy get the
    > rights to the word MAME?
    >
    > Because, it appears that ebay is cancling all auctions with that word
    > in them. I thought that word was public domain.
    >
    > Can anybody shed some light on this for me?
    >
    > Mikey May Camelface

  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    They tried. They put the word out saying to use the word MAME in trade, you
    had to ask permission. This was 3 months ago after they got control of the
    trademark from Foley.

    Problem was NO ONE cared and kept abusing their trademark.

    Now they got rambunctious and got people to take notice.

    It's keyword spam at it's most basic. If I'm building a machine I look for
    "midway coin door" or "coinco coin door" or just "coin door" not MAME coin
    door. It's a waste of 4 letters and a space in my book.

    And no, I don't Mame... I buy and restore classics. Use mame only to try
    outa game before buying the real thing... never had a Mame cab, never will.

    >I see many of the points being posted... Yes, sellers like me, do use
    > certain words to get hits. However, ebay both encourages and
    > discourages the practice. From time-to-time, ebay will send me a
    > letter explaining how to look for and use "hot keywords" words that
    > appear in their most popular auctions. Yet, they discourage the
    > practice in other places within site.
    >
    > In the past, I have sold many cabinets and coindoors as a stating place
    > to build any game related project. My main customer base, in that
    > case, would be for people who dream of have a cabinet that they can do
    > anything they want with. The point is, there is a market for these
    > usually undesired left-overs. I like the idea of something seeing use
    > rather than being dumped.
    >
    > As for the classics, I rarely part one out. I hate to even think of
    > it. However, there are times when I cannot sell a full game and I have
    > to bust out the tools. People start asking if I can ship just this or
    > just that. That is the fate of my Tac/Scan. I will soon be selling
    > off the parts to those who wish to complete their game or make it
    > look/work better. I would think that such a practice betters the
    > collecting community even thought it is depressing to see a classic cab
    > robbed of its attire.
    >
    > But what of the leftovers? Rusty coindoors and flawed cabs are usually
    > left to rot. Why not save some landfill space and let some one build a
    > project out of it??? Hell, even Art has trouble giving away decent
    > cabs, and has to trash them, at times.
    >
    > As for the mame project, I have offered my PCBs up to have their ROMs
    > copied in the past and would do so anytime if it is asked of me. I
    > think it is great to have these games backed up. But these devs have
    > gone to far as to say that we cannot use a public domain word (which it
    > is) in our auctions. A monster has been created.
    >
    > I have not gotten rich off selling flawed cabs and rusty coindoors for
    > a few bucks here and there. I just sold items to people that could use
    > them while keeping my trash bin empty. If I am unable to use the word,
    > thats fine I have other things to sell. I just find it down right
    > silly.
    >
    > People that wish to build emulaters will not be stopped by ebay's and
    > the dev's actions. I am just curious what their motives are??? Are
    > they afraid of the manufactors comming after them for opening Pandora's
    > box? Can they be held liable for all those mame-powered games loose in
    > the world? Who scared them: Namco, Ultradouche, IT, or someone else?
    >
    > Just my dollar twenty-five

  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    won't help any... their web postings, while well meaning is exerting more
    rights then they have regarding their trademark.

    http://www.cll.com/articles/article.cfm?articleid=32

    if your interested has a very good article regarding trademark fair use.

    the mame group may very well be opening up themselves to liability by
    attempting to restrain the trade of others whose use of the word mame falls
    under the fair use standards .

    Basically, the supreme court has stated, and further defined in the
    "infringers" benifit at the end of 2004 that you are able to use the
    trademark of another when "the use of the name, term, or device charged to
    be an infringement is a use, otherwise than as a mark, ...of a term or
    device which is descriptive of and used fairly and in good faith only to
    describe the goods or services of such party, or their geographic origin."

    Basically if you're describing your goods as being mame compatible and not
    using MAME as a mark you are free to do so.. the mame trademark holder has
    no legal recourse against you, and if he is infact petitioning e-bay to end
    your auctions then he may very well be acting in restraint of trade against
    you...

    hope they're carefull..

    <AubHtr@aol.com> wrote in message

    > drmoonsparkle@aol.com wrote:
    >> Okay, so what happened? Did the Ultragay Fag-licker-cade guy get the
    >> rights to the word MAME?
    >>

    > I hope so and maybe eBay sellers will have to quit spamming their
    > auctions with MAME in the title and description.
    >
    > It is lame to use Mame :)

  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Now if we could just get people to stop using klov descriptions in there
    listings.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    >Let them decide where they do and do not want the name and live with it.

    nice concept.. unfortunatly they don't actually have that authority... it's
    fairly limited...

    "Matty-t" <matthews@audio-doctors.com> wrote in message
    > taken straight from mame.net
    >
    > "Even though MAME allows people to enjoy the long-lost arcade games and
    > even some newer ones, the main purpose of the project is to document
    > the hardware (and software) of the arcade games. There are already many
    > dead arcade boards, whose function has been brought to life in MAME.
    > Being able to play the games is just a nice side-effect."
    >
    > A side effect. A side effect harnessed by those NOT affiliated with
    > the MAME project to gain financially from hundreds of DONATED man hours
    > to produce a system that was NEVER intended for home arcade use. Any
    > noone can see why they are pissed?
    >
    > Good for them. Try using the name of what your SELLING to gain
    > interest in your product.
    >
    > As far as MAME is concerned? I totally appreciate what they do, and
    > cannot stand those who abuse the system by peddling that junk that has
    > most people tearing apart classics or running out to home depot to get
    > a truck full of wood.
    >
    > What the hell has happened to the world? Remember the quote "I brought
    > you into this world, I'll take you out?" -> RIGHT ON!
    >
    > When someone creates something it should be thier personal right to
    > defend the idea, it's workings, it's purpose, and the goals encircling
    > it. I think it;s a shame that people are bitching about what they want
    > done with thier creation. It belongs to them. Let them decide where
    > they do and do not want the name and live with it.
    >
    > It is NOT your choice.. and if your so offended boycott MAME.. I'm
    > sure they just won't know what to do with themselves when they hear
    > they stand to lose the money that your not paying them..
    >
    > Frankly I'm glad they are restricting the name and system to the
    > purpose it was intended for. Push the MAMERS out of the market and
    > maybe the market for *my* *real* games will go back up where a classic
    > belongs.
    >
    > - Matt

  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    now that WOULD be copyright infringment...

    of course, at least we know the seller knows *something* about the
    machines... or at least knows enought to understand where to go to get
    descriptions...

    "zadok!" <aaron@classicarcade.org> wrote in message
    > Now if we could just get people to stop using klov descriptions in there
    > listings.
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I do notice that you are were aware enough of Ultracade's draconian
    stuff that you hid the Ultracade marquee I wanted in a lot, misspelled
    and "not pictured". I can't believe I actually found it (I had been
    looking for one for ages).

    Still, luckily I found it and it was a perfect fit for my machine!!
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    We'll have to disagree on that then because saying it's comatible with
    arcade emulators is probably almost always just as accurate. How can a
    fingerboard be mame compatible and not Vantage compatible? And if not,
    saying it's compatible with the major arcade emulator descripes it
    uniquely.

    As for the dmca affecting mame there is an exception for obsolete video
    games. As far as I know there is no curently manufactured game copy
    protection circumvented with mame.
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Either that or L@@K! M>A>M>E or maybe MAIME Or maybe L@@K SW33T MAIM
    CAB! MINT!
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Either that or L@@K! M>A>M>E or maybe MAIME Or maybe L@@K SW33T MAIM
    CAB! MINT!
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Hey, I agree with you whole heartedly... Unfortunatly, we've had groups like
    the ACLU and such that, while admittidly having done good, are somewhat
    overzealous in their pursuit of "freedom" and have done enough damage that
    we no longer have some protections that we should have..

    > Zad,
    >
    > Read KLOV's acceptable use policy. You are most certainy permitted to
    > do what people are doing with KLOV entries on thier auctions. No harm
    > No foul.
    >
    > Steve,
    >
    > Deep down in the core of me I have my beliefs like everyone else that
    > are simplistic, to the point, and I will not budge on them. I am
    > adament about believing that it is your decision to decide where the
    > fruits of your labor go and how they are used. They just plain have
    > every right in my eyes, even if they don't hold a copywrite at all. It
    > is a SHAME that we need things like copywrites and patents to protect
    > our ideas. Then again, how rampant is the "honor system" anymore? Do
    > you have children? how would you feel if the court system told you you
    > had no more rights to them in any way? a little drastic I suppose, but
    > on the same subject for sure.
    >
    > My .02
    >
    > - Matt

  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    See... I would disagree... nominitive use certainly fits... "mame compatible
    arcade machine"... the only way to readily identify that it is compatible
    with mame is to allow it's use..

    it's the same reasoining that let's 3rd party automotive suppliers advertise
    that they are compatible with GM vehicles and compete directly with GM's
    parts market...

    "D Widel" <dwidel@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > OK I read the article and I don't see your point.
    >
    > 1. STATUTORY FAIR USE applies for descriptive trademarks. MAME is a
    > made up word so not applicable.
    >
    > 3. COMPARATIVE ADVERTISING AS FAIR USE doesn't seem to apply as there
    > is no competition comparing itself to mame.
    >
    > 4. PARODY AS FAIR USE, nope.
    >
    > That leaves 2. NOMINATIVE USE AS FAIR USE
    >
    > The very first thing it says is:
    > [W]here the defendant uses a trademark to describe the plaintiff's
    > product, rather than its own, we hold that a commercial user is
    > entitled to a nominative fair use defense provided he meets the
    > following three requirements: First, the product or service in question
    > must be one not readily identifiable without use of the trademark;
    > second, only so much of the mark or marks may be used as is reasonably
    > necessary to identify the product or service; and third, the use must
    > do nothing that would, in conjunction with the mark, suggest
    > sponsorship or endorsement by the trademark holder.
    >
    > That fails the very first test. You can easily refer to mame as the
    > major arcade emulator. Really, there's not even a close second. Kind
    > of like every January when the commercials all advertise tickets to
    > "the big game" or the "football championship"
    >
    > I for one am sick of seeing Mame fingerboards and mame buttons in the
    > arcade category of ebay.
    >

    > Dave
    >
    > PS IANAL

  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Certainly they should be scared... i'm suprised Capcom hasn't had them all
    arrested for violating the "software protection" portion of the DMCA similar
    to the case vs the DVD guys...

    <drmoonsparkle@aol.com> wrote in message
    >I see many of the points being posted... Yes, sellers like me, do use
    > certain words to get hits. However, ebay both encourages and
    > discourages the practice. From time-to-time, ebay will send me a
    > letter explaining how to look for and use "hot keywords" words that
    > appear in their most popular auctions. Yet, they discourage the
    > practice in other places within site.
    >
    > In the past, I have sold many cabinets and coindoors as a stating place
    > to build any game related project. My main customer base, in that
    > case, would be for people who dream of have a cabinet that they can do
    > anything they want with. The point is, there is a market for these
    > usually undesired left-overs. I like the idea of something seeing use
    > rather than being dumped.
    >
    > As for the classics, I rarely part one out. I hate to even think of
    > it. However, there are times when I cannot sell a full game and I have
    > to bust out the tools. People start asking if I can ship just this or
    > just that. That is the fate of my Tac/Scan. I will soon be selling
    > off the parts to those who wish to complete their game or make it
    > look/work better. I would think that such a practice betters the
    > collecting community even thought it is depressing to see a classic cab
    > robbed of its attire.
    >
    > But what of the leftovers? Rusty coindoors and flawed cabs are usually
    > left to rot. Why not save some landfill space and let some one build a
    > project out of it??? Hell, even Art has trouble giving away decent
    > cabs, and has to trash them, at times.
    >
    > As for the mame project, I have offered my PCBs up to have their ROMs
    > copied in the past and would do so anytime if it is asked of me. I
    > think it is great to have these games backed up. But these devs have
    > gone to far as to say that we cannot use a public domain word (which it
    > is) in our auctions. A monster has been created.
    >
    > I have not gotten rich off selling flawed cabs and rusty coindoors for
    > a few bucks here and there. I just sold items to people that could use
    > them while keeping my trash bin empty. If I am unable to use the word,
    > thats fine I have other things to sell. I just find it down right
    > silly.
    >
    > People that wish to build emulaters will not be stopped by ebay's and
    > the dev's actions. I am just curious what their motives are??? Are
    > they afraid of the manufactors comming after them for opening Pandora's
    > box? Can they be held liable for all those mame-powered games loose in
    > the world? Who scared them: Namco, Ultradouche, IT, or someone else?
    >
    > Just my dollar twenty-five

  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    yup... you hit it right on the head...

    really, the big losers are the artwork guys.. everyone else can just say
    "compatible" and be scott free... the artwork guys are in use of the "mark"
    and are screwed...

    "anonebayseller" <anon@seller.com> wrote in message
    > You can't sell anything "MAME".
    >
    > You can sell something "compatible with Mame" however.
    >
    > People were selling MAME artwork, Mame cabinets, Mame buttons, Mame
    > joysticks.
    >
    > They are not MAME. They are Happ Joysticks that *can be used* for
    > Mame.... etc...
    >
    > <drmoonsparkle@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> Okay, so what happened? Did the Ultragay Fag-licker-cade guy get the
    >> rights to the word MAME?
    >>
    >> Because, it appears that ebay is cancling all auctions with that word
    >> in them. I thought that word was public domain.
    >>
    >> Can anybody shed some light on this for me?
    >>
    >> Mikey May Camelface

  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    End of the day, those artwork people are profitting from something they
    don't own nor did they create.. I won't be shedding a tear anytime soon.

    Honestly, the mame team is not shutting anyone down without fair warning or
    rules.. They own it, and can do what they want to. All they seem to want is
    for you to A: Not describe it as associated with mame and B: Ask for
    permission if you want otherwise.. not exactly tough rules.. Mame has done
    a lot for this hobby and community over time for no profit whatsoever, seems
    like a simple matter of respect to not *expect* that it's ok that YOU profit
    from what they did. Mame was never made to make people money, it's stated
    clearly in it's charter, so don't get upset that they want to protect their
    own interests and keep it from gaining legs of it's own that can eventually
    cause the creators much harm.

    Just how I see it :)
    /b

    "Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > yup... you hit it right on the head...
    >
    > really, the big losers are the artwork guys.. everyone else can just say
    > "compatible" and be scott free... the artwork guys are in use of the
    > "mark" and are screwed...
    >
    > "anonebayseller" <anon@seller.com> wrote in message
    >> You can't sell anything "MAME".
    >>
    >> You can sell something "compatible with Mame" however.
    >>
    >> People were selling MAME artwork, Mame cabinets, Mame buttons, Mame
    >> joysticks.
    >>
    >> They are not MAME. They are Happ Joysticks that *can be used* for
    >> Mame.... etc...
    >>
    >> <drmoonsparkle@aol.com> wrote in message
    >>> Okay, so what happened? Did the Ultragay Fag-licker-cade guy get the
    >>> rights to the word MAME?
    >>>
    >>> Because, it appears that ebay is cancling all auctions with that word
    >>> in them. I thought that word was public domain.
    >>>
    >>> Can anybody shed some light on this for me?
    >>>
    >>> Mikey May Camelface

  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    > End of the day, those artwork people are profitting from something they
    > don't own nor did they create.. I won't be shedding a tear anytime soon.

    well... that's not entirely true... the artwork guys did end up having to
    design the actual artwork, produce it, etc. There is no small amount of
    work involved there, for which they DO deserve to be compensated... they
    just don't own the MAME trademark...

    they're just going to have to come up with some new designs... I don't think
    we're going to see ANY lessening of the various ebay posts.

    I suspect things like "Multiple Arcade Emulation", etc. graphics will start
    appearing soon...

    "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > End of the day, those artwork people are profitting from something they
    > don't own nor did they create.. I won't be shedding a tear anytime soon.
    >
    > Honestly, the mame team is not shutting anyone down without fair warning
    > or rules.. They own it, and can do what they want to. All they seem to
    > want is for you to A: Not describe it as associated with mame and B: Ask
    > for permission if you want otherwise.. not exactly tough rules.. Mame has
    > done a lot for this hobby and community over time for no profit
    > whatsoever, seems like a simple matter of respect to not *expect* that
    > it's ok that YOU profit from what they did. Mame was never made to make
    > people money, it's stated clearly in it's charter, so don't get upset that
    > they want to protect their own interests and keep it from gaining legs of
    > it's own that can eventually cause the creators much harm.
    >
    > Just how I see it :)
    > /b
    >
    > "Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> yup... you hit it right on the head...
    >>
    >> really, the big losers are the artwork guys.. everyone else can just say
    >> "compatible" and be scott free... the artwork guys are in use of the
    >> "mark" and are screwed...
    >>
    >> "anonebayseller" <anon@seller.com> wrote in message
    >>> You can't sell anything "MAME".
    >>>
    >>> You can sell something "compatible with Mame" however.
    >>>
    >>> People were selling MAME artwork, Mame cabinets, Mame buttons, Mame
    >>> joysticks.
    >>>
    >>> They are not MAME. They are Happ Joysticks that *can be used* for
    >>> Mame.... etc...
    >>>
    >>> <drmoonsparkle@aol.com> wrote in message

  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    drmoonsparkle@aol.com wrote:
    > Okay, so what happened? Did the Ultragay Fag-licker-cade guy get the
    > rights to the word MAME?
    >
    > Because, it appears that ebay is cancling all auctions with that word
    > in them. I thought that word was public domain.
    >
    > Can anybody shed some light on this for me?
    >
    > Mikey May Camelface

    You know... there is a topic on this on MAME's General/Serious webboard
    that addresses everything straight from Aaron's mouth. (The head of
    MAME's legal part)
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I didn't say say KLOV didn't allowed it, I said it would be nice to see
    it not be used.

    I sort of have a problem with people using descriptions of games and
    gameplay that I and mostly many other fellow collectors here have
    written. Keep in mind that KLOV exist because of the collecting
    community that we are all a part of. Don't get me wrong, I have next to
    nothing to do with the pics and game descriptions on klov, but I know
    several of the guys here wrote most of them.

    Not that there is anything morally wrong with it or anything illegal,
    but I have a problem with klov letting people use information that they
    in many instances did not create.

    Matty-t wrote:
    > Zad,
    >
    > Read KLOV's acceptable use policy. You are most certainy permitted to
    > do what people are doing with KLOV entries on thier auctions. No harm
    > No foul.
    >
    > Steve,
    >
    > Deep down in the core of me I have my beliefs like everyone else that
    > are simplistic, to the point, and I will not budge on them. I am
    > adament about believing that it is your decision to decide where the
    > fruits of your labor go and how they are used. They just plain have
    > every right in my eyes, even if they don't hold a copywrite at all. It
    > is a SHAME that we need things like copywrites and patents to protect
    > our ideas. Then again, how rampant is the "honor system" anymore? Do
    > you have children? how would you feel if the court system told you you
    > had no more rights to them in any way? a little drastic I suppose, but
    > on the same subject for sure.
    >
    > My .02
    >
    > - Matt

  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    This is one of those extremely slippery slopes. Im not sure i would
    want to go into court and explain- "oh yea, this artwork is for a
    machine people build to break MANY digital copyrights"

    This isn't the standard Tabberone issue at all. What they need to do is
    licence it and have some of the profit go back into $$$ for ultra rare
    boards and eprom readers.

    -isaac
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I hope that they focus on things that are truly ripping off their work
    like variations of their logo and the goofs selling ROM CDs. I've stuck
    MAME into a couple of my NOS sideart auctions lately, not to be keyword
    spamtastic, but because a lot of people have ugly/generic MAME cabinets
    that could benefit from some window dressing. Way less deceptive and
    annoying than things like saying "Like Pac Man" when you're selling a
    Warp Warp, IMHO.

    Seth
    pgh, pa

    mame.us (uh oh!)
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Tabberone has won numerous ebay-related lawsuits against VeRO rights holders
    under very similar circumstances.

    http://tabberone.com/Trademarks/trademarks.html

    "D Widel" <dwidel@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > OK I read the article and I don't see your point.
    >
    > 1. STATUTORY FAIR USE applies for descriptive trademarks. MAME is a
    > made up word so not applicable.
    >
    > 3. COMPARATIVE ADVERTISING AS FAIR USE doesn't seem to apply as there
    > is no competition comparing itself to mame.
    >
    > 4. PARODY AS FAIR USE, nope.
    >
    > That leaves 2. NOMINATIVE USE AS FAIR USE
    >
    > The very first thing it says is:
    > [W]here the defendant uses a trademark to describe the plaintiff's
    > product, rather than its own, we hold that a commercial user is
    > entitled to a nominative fair use defense provided he meets the
    > following three requirements: First, the product or service in question
    > must be one not readily identifiable without use of the trademark;
    > second, only so much of the mark or marks may be used as is reasonably
    > necessary to identify the product or service; and third, the use must
    > do nothing that would, in conjunction with the mark, suggest
    > sponsorship or endorsement by the trademark holder.
    >
    > That fails the very first test. You can easily refer to mame as the
    > major arcade emulator. Really, there's not even a close second. Kind
    > of like every January when the commercials all advertise tickets to
    > "the big game" or the "football championship"
    >
    > I for one am sick of seeing Mame fingerboards and mame buttons in the
    > arcade category of ebay.
    >

    > Dave
    >
    > PS IANAL

Games Video Ebay Video Games