Search Assistant is missing file

When I try to use the search feature in Windows XP, I get an error message
that reads "Search Assistant is missing a file. You may need to run Setup."
The problem is that I can't reinstall it because Windows XP came
preinstalled on my PC, and I was not given a CD.
There is a hotfix that corrects this problem on the Windows Update site, but
it is pre-SP2, so I guess the question is: Is the only way to fix this
problem to uninstall SP2, install the hotfix, and reinstall SP2?
Thanks for any help!

Niece
3 answers Last reply
More about search assistant missing file

    No, please do NOT de-install SP2.
    Q: Did you get and apply SP2 after you bought the pc?
    Use Windows Explorer and see if this pc has this folder
    C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles
    or
    C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles

    If found, we may be able to have you run System File Checker.
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User
    > When I try to use the search feature in Windows XP, I get an error message
    > that reads "Search Assistant is missing a file. You may need to run
    > Setup."
    > The problem is that I can't reinstall it because Windows XP came
    > preinstalled on my PC, and I was not given a CD.
    > There is a hotfix that corrects this problem on the Windows Update site,
    > but
    > it is pre-SP2, so I guess the question is: Is the only way to fix this
    > problem to uninstall SP2, install the hotfix, and reinstall SP2?
    > Thanks for any help!
    >
    > Niece

    See Kelly's website at following link, and scroll down to Search Doesn't
    Work
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm

    HTH
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    "niece" wrote
    > When I try to use the search feature in Windows XP, I get an error message
    > that reads "Search Assistant is missing a file. You may need to run
    > Setup."
    > The problem is that I can't reinstall it because Windows XP came
    > preinstalled on my PC, and I was not given a CD.
    > There is a hotfix that corrects this problem on the Windows Update site,
    > but
    > it is pre-SP2, so I guess the question is: Is the only way to fix this
    > problem to uninstall SP2, install the hotfix, and reinstall SP2?
    > Thanks for any help!
    >
    > Niece

    OK, the website link was pretty much what I had previously found on the
    WindowsXP site. I can't use any of those options because the hotfix is
    pre-SP2 and I don't have the installation CD.
    But it did tell me what files could be corrupted or damaged and that did
    help. After looking I realized that the files are missing. The
    folder(Windows\srchasst\mui\0409) that is supposed to contain these files is
    empty, obviously causing the problem.
    As I had mentioned earlier, I can't reinstall the .inf file for Search
    because I don't have the CD, so do I still have any options?
    Thank you for your help.

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

    > No, please do NOT de-install SP2.
    > Q: Did you get and apply SP2 after you bought the pc?
    > Use Windows Explorer and see if this pc has this folder
    > C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles
    > or
    > C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles
    >
    > If found, we may be able to have you run System File Checker.
    > --
    > Maurice N
    > MVP Windows - Shell / User
    > ---
    > "niece" wrote
    > > When I try to use the search feature in Windows XP, I get an error message
    > > that reads "Search Assistant is missing a file. You may need to run
    > > Setup."
    > > The problem is that I can't reinstall it because Windows XP came
    > > preinstalled on my PC, and I was not given a CD.
    > > There is a hotfix that corrects this problem on the Windows Update site,
    > > but
    > > it is pre-SP2, so I guess the question is: Is the only way to fix this
    > > problem to uninstall SP2, install the hotfix, and reinstall SP2?
    > > Thanks for any help!
    > >
    > > Niece

Windows XP