Running Backup images

I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite S870, 64-bit Windows 7 Pro laptop Intel i7 with 8GB ram for a client.

I want to use this as an emergency backup system for a small assortment of systems (Windows XP Professional 32 bit, and one [ugh!] Vista Pro 32) at the client location.

I have three external HDD's for system backups.

What I'm looking for is suggestions on the best way to accomplish this.

My thinking is; if I backup a system with (for instance) Macrium Reflect; I should be able to restore the image to a partition on either the Toshiba's HDD, or, perhaps, an external HDD.

Does this make sense?

Are there any known issues with doing this? Does anyone have a better way to run a system image (cost being a significant factor) so that I can basically duplicate one user's system on the laptop while I perform maintenance on their Desktop system?

Any suggestions would be welcome.
2 answers Last reply
More about running backup images
  1. I don't think you will ever get desktop windows backup image to start on a laptop with total different hardware. Even if windows finds all the required drivers for the laptop hardware you will end up with numerous restarts and an un-activated unusable installation.
  2. noidea_77 said:
    I don't think you will ever get desktop windows backup image to start on a laptop with total different hardware. Even if windows finds all the required drivers for the laptop hardware you will end up with numerous restarts and an un-activated unusable installation.

Nice moniker, and apparently, quite apt.

You could have ended your post after the third word.

Paragon apparently is the solution I was looking for. Undoubtedly there will be a move by other leading backup software makers who will have offerings that can do the same thing in the "not-to-distant" future.

My question now stands as "answered" by myself.
Ask a new question

Read More

Virtualization Backup External Hard Drive Business Computing