LCD vs. CRT.. size difference??

My P911 is dieing a slow death and I am thinking of going the flat panel
route this time, I hoped to get some opinions on going to flat panel after
years of CRTs. Not sure if it's true but friend told me that a 17" flat
panel is actually close to the same "screen size" as a 19" crt. Also would a
good flat panel say Samsung, Princteon or Viewsonic be equal to Dells Ultra
Sharpe flat panels?? I want to match it up with a refurbished Dell 8400...
DVI would be a must....
5 answers Last reply
More about size difference

    A 19" CRT usually runs about 18" because part of the face of the tube is
    hidden behind the fascia.

    LCD monitrs are exactly what they're rated for = a 17" screen is 17"
    diagonally, so a 17" LCD is close to a 19" CRT in size.

    Samsung LCDs in general are very good (and Samsung has produced a lot of
    Dell's monitors, in fact).

    The best thing to do, where possible, is audition the monitor you're
    thinking of buying - what you like, someone else may not, and vice versa.

    Pinger wrote:
    > My P911 is dieing a slow death and I am thinking of going the flat panel
    > route this time, I hoped to get some opinions on going to flat panel after
    > years of CRTs. Not sure if it's true but friend told me that a 17" flat
    > panel is actually close to the same "screen size" as a 19" crt. Also would a
    > good flat panel say Samsung, Princteon or Viewsonic be equal to Dells Ultra
    > Sharpe flat panels?? I want to match it up with a refurbished Dell 8400...
    > DVI would be a must....

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 14:52:28 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Pinger"
    <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >My P911 is dieing a slow death and I am thinking of going the flat panel
    >route this time, I hoped to get some opinions on going to flat panel after
    >years of CRTs. Not sure if it's true but friend told me that a 17" flat
    >panel is actually close to the same "screen size" as a 19" crt. Also would a
    >good flat panel say Samsung, Princteon or Viewsonic be equal to Dells Ultra
    >Sharpe flat panels?? I want to match it up with a refurbished Dell 8400...
    >DVI would be a must....

    Another difference is that flat panels have a single optimum resolution;
    other resolutions will produce a lower quality image.

    For example, a CRT might give a good display at 800 X 600, 1024 X 768, or
    1280 X 1024. But if an LCD is designed for 1280 X 1024, using a different
    resolution will give you a poorer display.

    (An exact sub-multiple of the designed resolution, such as 800 X 600 for a
    1600 X 1200 flat panel, should give you a good display quality, but other
    resolutions that aren't exact sub-multiples will be degraded.)

    --
    Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

    "Natural laws have no pity." R.A.H.

    I replaced a Dell 19" CRT with a Dell 17'
    1704FPV LCD and am very happy with it. I find the
    viewable area to be substantially the same.

    Pinger wrote:
    > My P911 is dieing a slow death and I am thinking of going the flat panel
    > route this time, I hoped to get some opinions on going to flat panel after
    > years of CRTs. Not sure if it's true but friend told me that a 17" flat
    > panel is actually close to the same "screen size" as a 19" crt. Also would a
    > good flat panel say Samsung, Princteon or Viewsonic be equal to Dells Ultra
    > Sharpe flat panels?? I want to match it up with a refurbished Dell 8400...
    > DVI would be a must....

    The visible diagonal of the 19" CRT I'm currently looking at measures 17.5".

    The LCD gives an edge to edge display.
    "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Pinger wrote:
    >> My P911 is dieing a slow death and I am thinking of going the flat panel
    >> route this time, I hoped to get some opinions on going to flat panel
    >> after years of CRTs. Not sure if it's true but friend told me that a 17"
    >> flat panel is actually close to the same "screen size" as a 19" crt. Also
    >> would a good flat panel say Samsung, Princteon or Viewsonic be equal to
    >> Dells Ultra Sharpe flat panels?? I want to match it up with a refurbished
    >> Dell 8400... DVI would be a must....
    >
    > The visible diagonal of the 19" CRT I'm currently looking at measures
    > 17.5".

Dell CRT Monitors Computers