LCD vs. CRT.. size difference??

My P911 is dieing a slow death and I am thinking of going the flat panel
route this time, I hoped to get some opinions on going to flat panel after
years of CRTs. Not sure if it's true but friend told me that a 17" flat
panel is actually close to the same "screen size" as a 19" crt. Also would a
good flat panel say Samsung, Princteon or Viewsonic be equal to Dells Ultra
Sharpe flat panels?? I want to match it up with a refurbished Dell 8400...
DVI would be a must....

A 19" CRT usually runs about 18" because part of the face of the tube is
hidden behind the fascia.

LCD monitrs are exactly what they're rated for = a 17" screen is 17"
diagonally, so a 17" LCD is close to a 19" CRT in size.

Samsung LCDs in general are very good (and Samsung has produced a lot of
Dell's monitors, in fact).

The best thing to do, where possible, is audition the monitor you're
thinking of buying - what you like, someone else may not, and vice versa.

Pinger wrote:
> My P911 is dieing a slow death and I am thinking of going the flat panel
> route this time, I hoped to get some opinions on going to flat panel after
> years of CRTs. Not sure if it's true but friend told me that a 17" flat
> panel is actually close to the same "screen size" as a 19" crt. Also would a
> good flat panel say Samsung, Princteon or Viewsonic be equal to Dells Ultra
> Sharpe flat panels?? I want to match it up with a refurbished Dell 8400...
> DVI would be a must....

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 14:52:28 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Pinger"
<Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote:

>My P911 is dieing a slow death and I am thinking of going the flat panel
>route this time, I hoped to get some opinions on going to flat panel after
>years of CRTs. Not sure if it's true but friend told me that a 17" flat
>panel is actually close to the same "screen size" as a 19" crt. Also would a
>good flat panel say Samsung, Princteon or Viewsonic be equal to Dells Ultra
>Sharpe flat panels?? I want to match it up with a refurbished Dell 8400...
>DVI would be a must....

Another difference is that flat panels have a single optimum resolution;
other resolutions will produce a lower quality image.

For example, a CRT might give a good display at 800 X 600, 1024 X 768, or
1280 X 1024. But if an LCD is designed for 1280 X 1024, using a different
resolution will give you a poorer display.

(An exact sub-multiple of the designed resolution, such as 800 X 600 for a
1600 X 1200 flat panel, should give you a good display quality, but other
resolutions that aren't exact sub-multiples will be degraded.)

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

"Natural laws have no pity." R.A.H.

I replaced a Dell 19" CRT with a Dell 17'
1704FPV LCD and am very happy with it. I find the
viewable area to be substantially the same.

Pinger wrote:
> My P911 is dieing a slow death and I am thinking of going the flat panel
> route this time, I hoped to get some opinions on going to flat panel after
> years of CRTs. Not sure if it's true but friend told me that a 17" flat
> panel is actually close to the same "screen size" as a 19" crt. Also would a
> good flat panel say Samsung, Princteon or Viewsonic be equal to Dells Ultra
> Sharpe flat panels?? I want to match it up with a refurbished Dell 8400...
> DVI would be a must....

The visible diagonal of the 19" CRT I'm currently looking at measures 17.5".

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

The LCD gives an edge to edge display.