Sign in with
Your question

Sager

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
August 23, 2012 2:43:28 AM

Hi, What makes a sager so great ?

For example, I'm looking at the NP6165 and the specs seem lke just the regular laptops -

i7 ,gtx 650, 7200 rpm harddrive, intel 4000 .

Which brings me back to the original question : What makes Sager the best of the best in terms of laptops ?

More about : sager

August 23, 2012 2:53:45 AM

Whoever said they're the best of the best? They look normal to me. Are you pushing them?
m
l
August 23, 2012 4:47:38 AM

kajabla said:
Whoever said they're the best of the best? They look normal to me. Are you pushing them?

No, I've been looking for an alternative to a macbook pro; performance,sleek, lightweight, and good battery life. Someone was in the same shoes, and Sager was recommended.

What is your recommendation ?
m
l
Related resources
August 23, 2012 4:51:36 AM

Sadly if you want all of those, you have to fork up a lot of money for it, which is why most people give up at least or of those things so that can actually afford dinner for the next 2 weeks
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 23, 2012 5:02:21 AM

I have had a couple of Sager currently have an NP8690, but I use it as my traveling gaming system and I know Im not going to get the lightweight and battery life, but they use high quality parts, and thats what sets the good systems apart from the cheap ones with the same specs
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 23, 2012 5:08:28 AM

No, the NP6165 is not sleek at all about 3.1cm thick unlike MBP which is 1.8cm. You want something thin, then go for an ultrabook with some graphic power, probably an Acer Aspire M5. The GT 640m is slower clock, but it is thin unlike the Sager NP6165.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 23, 2012 5:11:45 AM

ayobmx said:
Hi, What makes a sager so great ?

For example, I'm looking at the NP6165 and the specs seem lke just the regular laptops -

i7 ,gtx 650, 7200 rpm harddrive, intel 4000 .

Which brings me back to the original question : What makes Sager the best of the best in terms of laptops ?

Sager uses Clevo for all their parts, so that makes them as good as Clevo. Clevo is far better than anything from the prime evils of laptops (Acer, Toshiba, HP) but not quite as good as high end Dell laptops. Thus, the price premium on Sager laptops is generally lower than a similarly equipped Alienware laptop. The price premium on Alienware laptops is well deserved though as they are incredibly well designed and very comfortable to use.

Unlike the prime evils, it's possible to customize a Sager laptop quite heavily. Clevo parts are designed to be heavily interchangeable so the OEM doesn't have to do much work to drop a beefier GPU in.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 23, 2012 5:20:54 AM

Just a friendly reminder that only Clevo laptop model that starts with "P" have MXM graphic card, so the Clevo W860CU graphics card are soldered onto the mobo and comes as it is.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 23, 2012 5:21:25 AM

Sager/Clevo's just tend to be more basic looks wise(to cut cost) and more customizable to give options.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 23, 2012 5:23:54 AM

^good point, so you are less likely to be thief's target like people using an Alienware or ASUS ROG laptop.
m
l
August 23, 2012 6:05:32 AM

So comparing to the Macbook Pro, what would be the best alternative ?

I plan to get a 15 MBP and adding a samsung 830 ssd onto it.
m
l
August 24, 2012 6:59:10 AM

Pinhedd said:
Sager uses Clevo for all their parts, so that makes them as good as Clevo. Clevo is far better than anything from the prime evils of laptops (Acer, Toshiba, HP) but not quite as good as high end Dell laptops. Thus, the price premium on Sager laptops is generally lower than a similarly equipped Alienware laptop. The price premium on Alienware laptops is well deserved though as they are incredibly well designed and very comfortable to use.

Unlike the prime evils, it's possible to customize a Sager laptop quite heavily. Clevo parts are designed to be heavily interchangeable so the OEM doesn't have to do much work to drop a beefier GPU in.

Your opinion on a better alternative ?
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 7:21:41 AM

ayobmx said:
Your opinion on a better alternative ?

Sager and clevo offer the best bang for your buck as far as laptops are concerned. The drawback is that since it's a customized laptop using OEM parts that are designed to be swapped in and out across multiple platforms you're going to get a laptop that looks the same regardless of whether you spend $800 or $2800. They are very professional looking laptops but they're not exactly as stylish as Dell's Alienware laptops.

Sager has a back to school sale on right now so it's a great time to buy.

I would personally recommend the NP9130, it's one step up from the 6165 and has a much better GPU. The 9150 would be ideal because its far more flexible as far as the customization options go.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_cus...

What you'll notice though is that as you start adding more stuff in the price will converge with those charged by Dell for the M17x R4.
m
l
August 24, 2012 7:28:20 AM

15" MBP costs $1,799 with the starting model with 3610QM, 650m and 4gb ram. Alienware M17x costs only $1499 for a better model with 3610QM, 660m and 6gb ram. It will really depend on how much prince you reckon the "thin factor" apple is worth. Most gaming laptop are not designed to be as thin as MBP.
m
l
August 24, 2012 7:38:11 AM

Pinhedd said:
Sager and clevo offer the best bang for your buck as far as laptops are concerned. The drawback is that since it's a customized laptop using OEM parts that are designed to be swapped in and out across multiple platforms you're going to get a laptop that looks the same regardless of whether you spend $800 or $2800. They are very professional looking laptops but they're not exactly as stylish as Dell's Alienware laptops.

Sager has a back to school sale on right now so it's a great time to buy.

I would personally recommend the NP9130, it's one step up from the 6165 and has a much better GPU. The 9150 would be ideal because its far more flexible as far as the customization options go.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_cus...

What you'll notice though is that as you start adding more stuff in the price will converge with those charged by Dell for the M17x R4.

I keep reading that a Mac always lasts longer.. is that not the case ?
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 7:54:08 AM

ayobmx said:
I keep reading that a Mac always lasts longer.. is that not the case ?

Macs use the exact same core components. How long a PC lasts quality wise usually depends on how much the owner abuses it
m
l
August 24, 2012 4:35:01 PM

Pinhedd said:
Macs use the exact same core components. How long a PC lasts quality wise usually depends on how much the owner abuses it

In terms of like software .. Windows always has build up over time, and then bogs down, while a Mac is consistent the whole time. ( or so i've read ) . correct me if im wrong.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 4:36:49 PM

ayobmx said:
In terms of like software .. Windows always has build up over time, and then bogs down, while a Mac is consistent the whole time. ( or so i've read ) . correct me if im wrong.

Ah, software creep. That does tend to happen but it's the software that runs on Windows rather than Windows itself. There may be performance implications as a result of major service packs but if a service pack turns your PC into a slug then you have a bigger problem to deal with.

Software creep mostly affects the people who try to run Firefox on a Pentium 4, run Antiviruses, install crapware, never delete stuff, etc... The same thing happens to OSX though.
m
l
August 24, 2012 4:40:43 PM

Pinhedd said:
Ah, software creep. That does tend to happen but it's the software that runs on Windows rather than Windows itself. There may be performance implications as a result of major service packs but if a service pack turns your PC into a slug then you have a bigger problem to deal with.

Software creep mostly affects the people who try to run Firefox on a Pentium 4, run Antiviruses, install crapware, never delete stuff, etc... The same thing happens to OSX though.

Yeah, happens to me a lot. Never figured out how to properly solve it.

Especially since I will be using the laptop for 4 yeras ( whether it be the MBP 15 vs Sager), I want it to be as good of a computer from day 1 to the 4th year .
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 4:43:41 PM

ayobmx said:
Yeah, happens to me a lot. Never figured out how to properly solve it.

The best cure to software creep is to always buy ahead of the game. A lot of people insist on buying incremental upgrades when their budget allows for it rather than saving up and buying a whole new computer when the time is right. This is a mistake because they are either constantly playing catchup or are constantly stuck with low end components.

There was a big uproar amongst the IT and enthusiast community when Microsoft, Intel, and the hardware OEMs started putting Windows Vista on ultra-cheap PCs that had no business even running XP. I'm talking dual core processors with 1MiB of cache and 512MB of low speed single channel ram. There were more bottlenecks in those systems than in a Medieval wine cellar. Microsoft was all too happy to stick the "Vista Ready" sticker on those machines and they paid the price for it in the court of public opinion.
m
l
August 24, 2012 5:00:51 PM

Pinhedd said:
The best cure to software creep is to always buy ahead of the game. A lot of people insist on buying incremental upgrades when their budget allows for it rather than saving up and buying a whole new computer when the time is right. This is a mistake because they are either constantly playing catchup or are constantly stuck with low end components.

There was a big uproar amongst the IT and enthusiast community when Microsoft, Intel, and the hardware OEMs started putting Windows Vista on ultra-cheap PCs that had no business even running XP. I'm talking dual core processors with 1MiB of cache and 512MB of low speed single channel ram. There were more bottlenecks in those systems than in a Medieval wine cellar. Microsoft was all too happy to stick the "Vista Ready" sticker on those machines and they paid the price for it in the court of public opinion.

What I'm trying to say is that is it not easier to maintain a MBP compared to a Sager? ( Mac vs PC type of argument ) .
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 5:12:47 PM

ayobmx said:
What I'm trying to say is that is it not easier to maintain a MBP compared to a Sager? ( Mac vs PC type of argument ) .

Not really. The amount of maintenance required on a computer is inversely proportional to the technical knowledge of the user.

Mac users are usually organized into two distinct groups. Power users who use OSX professionally and know how to take care of a computer, and amateur users who use Macbooks as $2000 facebook machines. The group in the middle isn't very big because the application base on OSX is much smaller than it is on Windows. I may be generalizing a bit but the latter group really can't tell the difference between a fast macbook and a sluggish macbook, they also don't really care to complain about it because they're mostly just killing time on it.

I have an inbox full of emails from people who use OSX as a platform for Home and Interior design but don't know how to maintain it. They take forever to startup and will require maintenance as soon as I can get around to it.

Windows users are much more diverse. There's a whole group of Windows users who think that they know how to maintain their computers but really have no clue. These users may be seen installing toolbars, fake antivirus programs, making wild speculations, and checking every file in System32 by hand to see if its signed by Microsoft. They make a lot of noise over 100% user inflicted problems. They're perfect examples of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

The best antivirus is a smart user. My computers (and I have tons of them) never have performance issues because I don't do things that necessitate maintenance and repairs.
m
l
August 24, 2012 5:47:50 PM

Pinhedd said:
Not really. The amount of maintenance required on a computer is inversely proportional to the technical knowledge of the user.

Mac users are usually organized into two distinct groups. Power users who use OSX professionally and know how to take care of a computer, and amateur users who use Macbooks as $2000 facebook machines. The group in the middle isn't very big because the application base on OSX is much smaller than it is on Windows. I may be generalizing a bit but the latter group really can't tell the difference between a fast macbook and a sluggish macbook, they also don't really care to complain about it because they're mostly just killing time on it.

I have an inbox full of emails from people who use OSX as a platform for Home and Interior design but don't know how to maintain it. They take forever to startup and will require maintenance as soon as I can get around to it.

Windows users are much more diverse. There's a whole group of Windows users who think that they know how to maintain their computers but really have no clue. These users may be seen installing toolbars, fake antivirus programs, making wild speculations, and checking every file in System32 by hand to see if its signed by Microsoft. They make a lot of noise over 100% user inflicted problems. They're perfect examples of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

The best antivirus is a smart user. My computers (and I have tons of them) never have performance issues because I don't do things that necessitate maintenance and repairs.

I have kaspersky internet security 2012 awaiting the sager if I do purchase it.

Another aspect I always try to keep in mind is mobility . I am unsure if I will carry i around a lot, but like the idea of having the option without it being extremely heavy.

In that case, the Macbook is the most powerful for its weight and sleekness no ?

Also in anycase I would like to put a samsung 830 in the MBP or the sager.

Right now it seems to come down to weight and quality.
m
l
August 24, 2012 6:08:04 PM

Pinhedd said:

Using only the NP9150 and MBP 15 as the subjects:

I'm going to be

-writing papers
- occasionally gaming (Dota2, maybe go back to sc2 )
- surfing the web. ( I go over 15 tabs almost everytime)
- watch 1080p 720p movies
- make presentations
- traveling around campus

That is all I can think of at the moment. What is your opinion on what my choice should be ?
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 6:13:40 PM

ayobmx said:
Using only the NP9150 and MBP 15 as the subjects:

I'm going to be

-writing papers
- occasionally gaming (Dota2, maybe go back to sc2 )
- surfing the web. ( I go over 15 tabs almost everytime)
- watch 1080p 720p movies
- make presentations
- traveling around campus

That is all I can think of at the moment. What is your opinion on what my choice should be ?

I've been carrying 10 pound laptops around for many years without issue. I think that weight and mobility are generally moot factors. Comfort should be the most important factor. Macbooks are comfortable, Alienware is very comfortable, Sager is fairly comfortable.

If you plan on gaming at all you may want to avoid Macbooks. Even if you dual boot you'll be stuck with a crummy video card.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 6:24:16 PM

mac books are great for portability, sleekness and general use. I wouldn't consider it a gaming platform though, as most of the Mac Platform was designed for general use and a large majority of the users are college students who use it for school purposes only.
m
l
August 24, 2012 6:50:42 PM

Pinhedd said:
I've been carrying 10 pound laptops around for many years without issue. I think that weight and mobility are generally moot factors. Comfort should be the most important factor. Macbooks are comfortable, Alienware is very comfortable, Sager is fairly comfortable.

If you plan on gaming at all you may want to avoid Macbooks. Even if you dual boot you'll be stuck with a crummy video card.

The difference in video cards is not much ;

MBP 15 has a 650, while I was being recommened the NP6165, which had the same.

The NP9150 has a 675, and that consumes a lot more battery, making the battery life suck without an outlet.

I am leaning in more towards the MBP right now
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 6:57:52 PM

if you want a Laptop to desktop gpu power wise approximations, a Gtx 650m is relatively between a 8800 gts and a HD 7750. the 675m is sorta like HD 6850/Gtx 460ish level.

edit: If you want my opinion, I would pick the middleman between the two, which is the Lenovo y580 with the Gtx 660m(Kepler Based) not as strong as the 675(fermi based) but more power efficient and of course is better than the 650m
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 7:00:07 PM

ayobmx said:
The difference in video cards is not much ;

MBP 15 has a 650, while I was being recommened the NP6165, which had the same.

The NP9150 has a 675, and that consumes a lot more battery, making the battery life suck without an outlet.

I am leaning in more towards the MBP right now

The NP9150 has Optimus technology if used with an NVidia GPU and Switchable Graphics if used with an AMD GPU. This means it will automatically switch (or tell you to switch) to the IGP when on battery, which turns the discrete GPU off completely.
m
l
August 24, 2012 7:38:20 PM

ayobmx: it all boils down to what you want to achieve, in balance. If a macbook pro format delivers all you need and you are happy then be happy. HOWEVER, other folk may NEED (or want to brag about) higher cpu and/or gfx power - and for these folk we have other options available (and, perhaps, a tethered powed cord ;)  ) Horses for courses :) 
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 11:48:15 PM

Actually the GT 650m in the retina display MBP is clocked higher than the default GTX 660m. Y580 is a good choice because of its price to performance ratio, but it is also a normal size laptop. It boils down to how import the sleek factor is to you.
m
l
August 27, 2012 8:39:09 AM

thanks to all your opinions guys. I settled with the MBP. I hope I didnt rub off the wrong way towards any of you :( 

If I read pinhedd's comment before ordering I would probably still be in the same boat right now lol .

@ Pyree, the sleek factor became the deciding factor; i just really cant imagining me holding the NP9150 nor the 6165, unless it's on my table.

I hope this thread helps out future users who end up on the same boat I was :) 

Thanks again guys !
m
l
!