Wheres the file extension?

I just re-installed windows xp, and i noticed when you open the properties
options on a file the extension isnt shown like i would before, example "
reportpaper.doc", now all i see is "reportpaper", all I use to do was change
the ".doc" file to a for exmaple to a "tiff", now I cant, so what can I do?

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Folder Options.
On the View tab, remove the check mark next to "Hide extensions
for known file types".

--
Nepatsfan