Rapid mouse movement unacceptable!

XP pro, any mouse I try (well, only tried opticals so far....Dell, Logitecvh,
Microsoft)

When I try to move the mouse rapidly (I play lots of games, like first
person shooters which use the mouse to aim and turn around) the pointer will,
after a microsecond or two of feigned obedience, will suddenly choose some
OTHER, more random direction in which to move. It apparently KEEPS moving in
that direction, even though the mouse STOPS moving. (I know this because my
little army guys, when I try to "spin" around to defend myself, will end up
spining circles and shooting themselves in the feet or up in the air) To stop
this random movement, I must pick UP the mouse and replace it. Now I have
control again.

Its not just the games...I have tested and it happens on the desktop, ar
anywhere...I guess it must be an optical mouse/XP combo (I have read some
other posts that say so) But is there a fix besides getting a (ugh)
ball-mouse?

Sorry for the long post...Im long winded sometimes...
(long-fingered? :-/)

Me

Rob, my Logitech MX500 does the same thing but only randomly. It starts
moving up the screen by itself.

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Rob, my Logitech MX500 does the same thing but only randomly. It starts
> moving up the screen by itself.

Well, although HIGHLY interesting...it isn't extremely helpful. Thanks for
letting me know, though...

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Rob, my Logitech MX500 does the same thing but only randomly. It starts
> moving up the screen by itself.

frodo

two ideas:

1) optical mice are often messed up by some tiny object stuck in the light
path, like a cat hair or a speck of dust. look at the optical pick up and
clean it thoroughly. this is the most comon cause of optical mouse
"weirdness" [for non-optical, it's a dirty mouse ball or dirty rollers]

2) go into device manager, properties for you mouse, and see if there is a
setting somewhere in there to raise the interrupt rate. normal is 100 per
second, try taking it up to 200. this can make the mouse more responsive.

TRENDING THREADS