The Simpsons and Pacman together at last.

I just posted some new screenshots to my webpage, http://www.widel.com
I got a little help from cutebutwrong with bonus sprites. There's now
~19 simpsons related bonuses instead of the 8 original. I don't like
just graphic hacks, so I made a lot of code changes too. The dots
instead of being eaten change color first and there's a large bonus for
eating a set number of dots before you eat the first powerpellet.
Theoretically up to 99,000, but you won't get that far *evil laugh* Of
course you can ignore the bonus, and Homer will start moving quicker.
Oh and did I mention the start buttons control a teleporter?

It runs in mame as pacman. We're still beta testing. I haven't burnt
the current build to a board yet, but it should work. You will need
new color proms though. There's absolutely no way to do the Simpsons
with standard proms.

Dave
9 answers Last reply
More about simpsons pacman last

    All you need is the "doh" sound or sample when homer dies. "doh! doh!
    dohdoh doh dooooooohhh."

    -isaac

    Dave,
    This looks awesome. Will you be putting this on the new MAD pac? Also,
    could it be done on a pac board alone w/o hacking the board? If so,
    will you release the code or sell as a stand alone upgrade to a pac
    pcb?. Would Pac Plus proms work? Sorry for all the ?s. This is the
    coolest pac man varient I've seen yet. Great work.

    Robert

    D Widel wrote:
    > I just posted some new screenshots to my webpage, http://www.widel.com
    > I got a little help from cutebutwrong with bonus sprites. There's now
    > ~19 simpsons related bonuses instead of the 8 original. I don't like
    > just graphic hacks, so I made a lot of code changes too. The dots
    > instead of being eaten change color first and there's a large bonus for
    > eating a set number of dots before you eat the first powerpellet.
    > Theoretically up to 99,000, but you won't get that far *evil laugh* Of
    > course you can ignore the bonus, and Homer will start moving quicker.
    > Oh and did I mention the start buttons control a teleporter?
    >

    > It runs in mame as pacman. We're still beta testing. I haven't burnt
    > the current build to a board yet, but it should work. You will need
    > new color proms though. There's absolutely no way to do the Simpsons
    > with standard proms.
    >
    > Dave

    Wheres the download for it? Could you possibly email it to me so I can
    try it out?

    It was meant as a joke mostly because i knew that pac board couldn't do
    samples. I would imagine it would be a PITA just to even try. The other
    reason I brought it up was it reminded me of the main reasons I love
    the The simpsons pinball party. Mmmm Samples :P~~~

    -isaac

    No, unfortunately the hardware in the 96in1 is not capable of switching
    color proms well, that's why we've gone with a new design for the Mad
    Pac.

    very nice!

    "D Widel" <dwidel@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I just posted some new screenshots to my webpage, http://www.widel.com
    > I got a little help from cutebutwrong with bonus sprites. There's now
    > ~19 simpsons related bonuses instead of the 8 original. I don't like
    > just graphic hacks, so I made a lot of code changes too. The dots
    > instead of being eaten change color first and there's a large bonus for
    > eating a set number of dots before you eat the first powerpellet.
    > Theoretically up to 99,000, but you won't get that far *evil laugh* Of
    > course you can ignore the bonus, and Homer will start moving quicker.
    > Oh and did I mention the start buttons control a teleporter?
    >

    > It runs in mame as pacman. We're still beta testing. I haven't burnt
    > the current build to a board yet, but it should work. You will need
    > new color proms though. There's absolutely no way to do the Simpsons
    > with standard proms.
    >
    > Dave

  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    OMG! That is just too cool!

    I would love to have that in a cab to go beside my Simpsons pin!

    Bill

    "D Widel" <dwidel@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I just posted some new screenshots to my webpage, http://www.widel.com
    > I got a little help from cutebutwrong with bonus sprites. There's now
    > ~19 simpsons related bonuses instead of the 8 original. I don't like
    > just graphic hacks, so I made a lot of code changes too. The dots
    > instead of being eaten change color first and there's a large bonus for
    > eating a set number of dots before you eat the first powerpellet.
    > Theoretically up to 99,000, but you won't get that far *evil laugh* Of
    > course you can ignore the bonus, and Homer will start moving quicker.
    > Oh and did I mention the start buttons control a teleporter?
    >

    > It runs in mame as pacman. We're still beta testing. I haven't burnt
    > the current build to a board yet, but it should work. You will need
    > new color proms though. There's absolutely no way to do the Simpsons
    > with standard proms.
    >
    > Dave

  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    hmm, I replied to these messages hours ago and it never showed up, At the
    risk of reduncancy I'll try pasting:

    It will be in the MAD Pac. It doesn't require any board mods.
    I'm not planning on selling a kit at this time. Pacplus or any other
    existing proms won't work. I tried it with pacman proms, in addition
    to all the colors being hosed, the white dots are invisible. The
    problem was you get 3 colors to a palette, for the simpsons you need
    palettes consisting of yellow, white and X, where X is blue, green,
    red, brown, grey. etc. You just can't get that in any existing proms
    so I didn't even try to keep it compatible with pacman proms If you
    use the 4a from maketrax some of the bonuses that were invisible will
    show up, but it won't really help you that much..

    I'd love to do sounds but it's just really hard to do with the primitive
    pacman hardware.

    Dave
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Will this be a chip change on the 96 & 1? Thanks Michael
    "WEade" <ripper@fast.net> wrote in message
    > OMG! That is just too cool!
    >
    > I would love to have that in a cab to go beside my Simpsons pin!
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > "D Widel" <dwidel@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I just posted some new screenshots to my webpage, http://www.widel.com
    > > I got a little help from cutebutwrong with bonus sprites. There's now
    > > ~19 simpsons related bonuses instead of the 8 original. I don't like
    > > just graphic hacks, so I made a lot of code changes too. The dots
    > > instead of being eaten change color first and there's a large bonus for
    > > eating a set number of dots before you eat the first powerpellet.
    > > Theoretically up to 99,000, but you won't get that far *evil laugh* Of
    > > course you can ignore the bonus, and Homer will start moving quicker.
    > > Oh and did I mention the start buttons control a teleporter?
    > >

    > > It runs in mame as pacman. We're still beta testing. I haven't burnt
    > > the current build to a board yet, but it should work. You will need
    > > new color proms though. There's absolutely no way to do the Simpsons
    > > with standard proms.
    > >
    > > Dave

Video Games