Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

When I installer Norton Antivirus 2005 I noticed I could not turn on the
liveupdate. When I go to the Task Scheduler under computer
management/services and select start I get a
"error 1717 Could not start task scheduler on local computer"
I have tried everything I know without results, Anyone have a solution?

Let's pare this down a bit.
-------------------------

When you run Control Panel is it in "Menu" mode?

If no, or you're not sure, perform the following steps:

Right-click in an unused place on your Taskbar and select Properties.

Select the Start Menu (tab).

Select Start Menu (checkbox).

Click Customize (button).

Click Advanced (tab).

View the "Control Panel" setting (under Start menu items) and ensure that
"Display as a menu" is selected.

Click OK.

Click OK one last time.

NOW FOR THE CHECK.

Go to Start > Control Panel and put your mouse cursor over Scheduled Tasks.

The menu selections should include the following (at a minimum):
1) Add Scheduled Tasks
2) Norton AntiVirus - Scan my computer

Finally, do you see the second menu selection? It should have been added
when you installed NAV 2005.

Note: You should also see another Control Panel selection (i.e. applet)
named Symantec Live Update.
When you select it, here are the defaults
General (tab) - "Interactive Mode and Enable Enhanced Error Support"
selected
FTP (tab) - "I want to use my Internet Options FTP settings" selected
HTTP (tab) - "I want to use my Internet Options HTTP settings" selected
ISP (tab) - "Customize settings for LiveUpate" selected

Let us know what you find.

--
Michael

> When I installer Norton Antivirus 2005 I noticed I could not turn on the
> liveupdate. When I go to the Task Scheduler under computer
> management/services and select start I get a
> "error 1717 Could not start task scheduler on local computer"
> I have tried everything I know without results, Anyone have a solution?

Dave,

See if this applies.

Task Scheduler Service Must Be Started with System Account:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q223170/

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User