regedit problem

Hello,
when i go to the start run dialog box and type regedit it does
not open any more here is what i see
C:\WINNT\system32\regedit.com
The NTVDMCPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:00cf IP0656 OP:fe ae 06 d9 02 choose close

any help would be great i cant figure it out.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-regedit-problem-ftopict375125.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1219324

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

REGEDIT is an EXE, not COM file and is supposded to be in \windows. (At
least in XP - this is an XP newsgroup afterall.)

"rg123" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> when i go to the start run dialog box and type regedit it does
> not open any more here is what i see
> C:\WINNT\system32\regedit.com
> The NTVDMCPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
> CS:00cf IP0656 OP:fe ae 06 d9 02 choose close
>
> any help would be great i cant figure it out.

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-regedit-problem-ftopict375125.html

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

From what you have posted, you are not running Windows XP. You need to
figure out what OS you're running, maybe a version of NT? And then find
the appropriate group to address your question.

rg123 wrote:
> Hello,
> when i go to the start run dialog box and type regedit it does
> not open any more here is what i see
> C:\WINNT\system32\regedit.com
> The NTVDMCPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
> CS:00cf IP0656 OP:fe ae 06 d9 02 choose close
>
> any help would be great i cant figure it out.

Haven't seen this one before, but it makes me wonder if your error is due to
memory access problems.

If so, you can run a diagnostic at http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

But first I would run Disk Cleanup.
Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup

Finally, there are some Google 'hits' for similar problems at
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=NTVDM+CPU+has+encountered+an+illegal+instruction&btnG=Google+Search

Good luck.

--
Michael

"rg123" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> when i go to the start run dialog box and type regedit it does
> not open any more here is what i see
> C:\WINNT\system32\regedit.com
> The NTVDMCPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
> CS:00cf IP0656 OP:fe ae 06 d9 02 choose close
>
> any help would be great i cant figure it out.

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-regedit-problem-ftopict375125.html

Good catch guys (Jerry & John). I too don't know why he is referencing a -
non-XP folder for Regedit.

Looks like he may be running Win2k and posted in the wrong forum.

--
Michael

rg123 wrote:
> Hello,
> when i go to the start run dialog box and type regedit it does
> not open any more here is what i see
> C:\WINNT\system32\regedit.com
> The NTVDMCPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
> CS:00cf IP0656 OP:fe ae 06 d9 02 choose close
>
> any help would be great i cant figure it out.

The real XP registry editor is called REGEDIT.EXE and is located in the
%systemroot% directory (\windows or possibly \winnt) not in system32.
Also Regedit is a 32-bit program and so should not need NTVDM to run.
Unless you have renamed and moved it, I would suspect that you have a virus.

"John Coode" wrote:
> rg123 wrote:
> > Hello,
> > when i go to the start run dialog box and type regedit
> it does
> > not open any more here is what i see
> > C:WINNTsystem32regedit.com
> > The NTVDMCPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
> > CS:00cf IP0656 OP:fe ae 06 d9 02 choose close
> >
> > any help would be great i cant figure it out.
> >
> The real XP registry editor is called REGEDIT.EXE and is
> located in the
> %systemroot% directory (windows or possibly winnt) not in
> system32.
> Also Regedit is a 32-bit program and so should not need NTVDM
> to run.
> Unless you have renamed and moved it, I would suspect that you
> have a virus.

i am running win xp home edition and know that it should be an exe
file thats why i posted what i see it doesnt make sense to me was
hoping maybe someone seen before

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-regedit-problem-ftopict375125.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1222274

Did you install XP over Win2K?

"Michael T" wrote:
> Did you install XP over Win2K?
>
> "rg123" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > "John Coode" wrote:
>  > > rg123 wrote:
>   > > > Hello,
>   > > > when i go to the start run dialog box
> and type regedit
>  > > it does
>   > > > not open any more here is what i see
>   > > > C:WINNTsystem32regedit.com
>   > > > The NTVDMCPU has encountered an illegal
> instruction.
>   > > > CS:00cf IP0656 OP:fe ae 06 d9 02 choose
> close
>   > > >
>   > > > any help would be great i cant figure it
> out.
>   > > >
>  > > The real XP registry editor is called REGEDIT.EXE
> and is
>  > > located in the
>  > > %systemroot% directory (windows or possibly winnt)
> not in
>  > > system32.
>  > > Also Regedit is a 32-bit program and so should not
> need NTVDM
>  > > to run.
>  > > Unless you have renamed and moved it, I would
> suspect that you
>  > > have a virus.
> >
> > i am running win xp home edition and know that it should be
> an exe
> > file thats why i posted what i see it doesnt make sense to
> me was
> > hoping maybe someone seen before
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> > request
> standards
> > Topic URL:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-regedit-problem-ftopict375125.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
> abuse:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1222274

nope i didn’t its straight from the box that way windows xp home
edition i think it has something to do with that root directory %
whatever it is but cannot figure it out the computer run fines no
glitches just when i want to open regedit from the run dialog box i
get what i type down there this all happened after my daughter used
the computer so basically i havent a clue as to how it got that way
but none the less although it is operating fine its bothering me
knowing that it isnt right i can acess the registry through the
c:\winnt but shouldnt have to

"rg123" wrote:
> Hello,
> when i go to the start run dialog box and type regedit it
> does not open any more here is what i see
> C:WINNTsystem32regedit.com
> The NTVDMCPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
> CS:00cf IP0656 OP:fe ae 06 d9 02 choose close
>
> any help would be great i cant figure it out.

Hi,
I have the same problem..
It’s a laptop with a clean Xp installation.

However, my laptop was infected with w32/Mugly.M a.k.a Picrate.C
and in the description of this virus it is said that it messes with
the access to regedit and some other programs...
I can acces regedit(.EXE) if I access it directly from c:windows, so
the problem is the link, and not the program itself.

Something else; the virus was found in the system32 folder , but when
I search the PC (also hiddenfiles) there is no such folder!!!

I am thinking that, although the virus was removed, the mess it left
is a greater problem to deal with...

"Spidermomma" wrote:
> Hi,
> I have the same problem..
> It's a laptop with a clean Xp installation.
>
> However, my laptop was infected with w32/Mugly.M a.k.a
> Picrate.C
> and in the description of this virus it is said that it messes
> with the access to regedit and some other programs...
> I can acces regedit(.EXE) if I access it directly from
> c:windows, so the problem is the link, and not the program
> itself.
>
> Something else; the virus was found in the system32 folder ,
> but when I search the PC (also hiddenfiles) there is no such
> folder!!!
>
> I am thinking that, although the virus was removed, the mess
> it left is a greater problem to deal with...

I found my system32 folder (could noy find it with windows explorer,
but total commander did the trick)

found these files:
cmd.com
netstat.com
ping.com
regedit.com
taskkill.com
tasklist.com
tracert.com

I removed them all and all the problems are solved. I also removed the
file file.zip, which was the virus

I also want to say thay both symantec and avg did NOT find the virus,
but pandasoftware did...