Thin and Light Laptops Could Have Design Flaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

1ce

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Wait, so you mean they built laptops and then found out they were cracking? Haven't any of these Engineers heard of SolidWorks and other methods of finding this out before you build it?

G

Well as a experienced used of Solidworks and others (also as a mechanical engineer), i'd say that the actual strain on the plastic structure (from the pc weight itself) isn't whats causing the cracking, but the wear from the grabbing, opening, carrying and laying around. Heat (even in small amounts) can shorten the lifespan of such plastics. Solidworks (with cosmos or ansys u name it....) doesn't really simulate such mix of "uses" in a thin laptop. On the other hand small objects such as these are not a great concern in terms of resistance testing..
The problem should be the tendency towards the use of lowcost materials. With high grade ABS this probably wouldn't happen.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Or just do what Apple does.. Send out a new generation of iPhones that burns the plastic cover when you use it too much.. Than send out a new version with that "issue" fixed. :)

Joking..

Anyway, I would love to see new laptops using aluminum and some hybrid mix of plastic/metal through the case. This would give us new looks and the color of those different materials would be something that can catch our attention and desire.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]This just in - things that are thin, flimsy, and cheap break easily. This has been another update from the common sense brigade.[/citation]

I Lol'd.

But as a structural engineer myself I can see that fatigue is most likely the cause, after all, constant heating-cooling cycles combined with very erratic load patterns can impose quite a strain on brittle materials.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Double post (everybody is crying for an edit feature, yet the people at Tom's is't listening).

I ment to say I can see why they would crack and I'd guess that fatigue is most likely the cause, as opposed to strain caused by the laptop's weight.

Upendra09

Distinguished
[citation][nom]aspireonelover[/nom]why not just reinforce some parts with metal?that should prevent cracking from the sensitive points[/citation]

I agree, just put where the most weight is or where two pieces of plastic join.

Vatharian

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
TGhere is also another flaw, that was probably made intenational. Everyone who has ever seen old Thinkpad notebook took apart, will notice its rigid steel frame and housing. The plastic used is much harder than today products could have - mostly from weight's point of view, I suppose, but there's one thing more. The plastic is used to COVER the notebook. On the contrary, modern hardware bolts mainboard and other components directly to plastic 'frame'. Beside the fact, that it makes the whole net/notebook little fishy to handle correctly, every strain put on the body instantly stresses the mainboard, causing big chips like north/southbridge, GPU (if present) and CPU (if soldered directly) to crack the balls in ball grid array (BGA), loose contact and can easly lead to bricking device. Many cheaper video cards suffer from similar faults - heat and/or badly enginereed cooling solution, bending PCB - and it's done, forever. I do own notebook, but its one with steel body and magnesium cover. I can't tell anyone to go ditch you current hardware and buy used P4 laptop that weights around 9 pounds, like mine, but if you have new netbook or other lightweight machine, please consider buying external case (for example plastic crystal case) that rigidifies the body of a computer. Larger notebooks (e.g. 17" and more) should also be handled with little care - try not to put in on your knees nad use flat surface (like desk) when it's powered on. This will surely lenghten its service time. I have contact with many electronic service centres and I've heard enough stories to verify what I've written here. Hope I helped someone :)

Stihy

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
I work as technician for a big brand name laptop maker, you would not believe what kind of problems early (revolutionary) models experience, cracking panels, low quality hinges, shortages on main board... etc.
Almost every single one was due to low quality material and poor but shiny design
They(manufacturers) know about that and every single one hides those information from general public.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I have an 14" Acer but it is a cheap one and is not thin compared to other pricey ones. It is very solid and does not seem to flex at all even when I grab it by the corner with one hand. Press on the plastic, it does not give, must be thicker than some others. I say before you buy check them out for flexing, Best Buy always has display models to try before you buy.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Its understandable that thin & light notebooks (such as Apples AIR) can have such problems. But some people are confusing this problem with normal Notebooks and netbooks.

Thin & light are VERY VERY thin notebooks (because 1" is just too damn thick) so there is less structure to work with. Also such notebooks have a 13" screen, usually no optical drive, but the ThinkPad X300 does.

The Netbooks are very small overall and very light-weght and shouldn't have the issues of its more expensive cousins.

Want a notebook thats going to last, get a ThinkPad. They have a FRAME under its skin and other features that make them tougher than most other notebooks. And they aren't as expensive as they used to be, starting at $550... yet they do have their $2500~3500 17" dual screen models :)

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]1ce[/nom]Wait, so you mean they built laptops and then found out they were cracking? Haven't any of these Engineers heard of SolidWorks and other methods of finding this out before you build it?[/citation]
It's all perfect in SolidWorks. (CAD makes the most impossible things look plausible.) Aside from the fact that you may have meant Ansys or Comsol or even Mechanica, it's often an accepted compromise between requirements (thin/stylish) and associated cost. The latter often wins, as we know from the Microsoft ads.

Either way, it's pure marketing to push structurally not sound designs with cheaper manufacturing methods as 90% are cared for properly. My wife, on the other hand, needs every bit of reinforced casing she can get. Either way, this is not exactly news and take DELL as an example. Though quite improved in quality and durability, they're still very "fragile" in comparison to others (i.e. Apple, Sony, even HP) ... but not because DELL is stupid. They simply value cost over durability as many customers.

Inneandar

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I have to disagree with the rather narrow minded statement in the first sentence. I am typing this on a dell latitude notebook and I am absolutely positive that is has a magnesium-based chassis, and I'm quite confident other brands have a similar durable (metal) construction for their high-end notebooks, as also noted by Vatharian. It can be gold and still not glitter, you know.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Inneandar[/nom]I have to disagree with the rather narrow minded statement in the first sentence. I am typing this on a dell latitude notebook and I am absolutely positive that is has a magnesium-based chassis, and I'm quite confident other brands have a similar durable (metal) construction for their high-end notebooks, as also noted by Vatharian. It can be gold and still not glitter, you know.[/citation]
Agreed, a plain plastic housing wouldn't stand a chance in any application. There is a (typically) Magnesium sub-frame in most laptops to give it basic rigidity. Nevertheless, most housings around that frame are plastic.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]Apple and other manufacturers are just now realizing this. Wowwwww[/citation]
Apple, of all companies hasn't been using plastic, all their new notebooks are the uni-body aluminum chassis. I do believe even the Macbook Air is made of aluminum, there's one for the competition :)

Status
Not open for further replies.