Log in problems...

After logging in, the desktop appears but none of the icons show, no start
menu option, I can't right click but the mouse/cursor is showing and if I go
to the task manager, I can start applications with it but still, no desktop
icons. I've run tests and all kinds of 'doctors' to see if they'd pick up on
a start-up issue but nothing. If anyone has a solution to this, I would be
greatly appreciative.

Try Safe Mode - press the F8 key (a few times while XP is booting). Then try
Normal mode.

"mrzepnicki" <choochaloo22@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> After logging in, the desktop appears but none of the icons show, no start
> menu option, I can't right click but the mouse/cursor is showing and if I
> go
> to the task manager, I can start applications with it but still, no
> desktop
> icons. I've run tests and all kinds of 'doctors' to see if they'd pick up
> on
> a start-up issue but nothing. If anyone has a solution to this, I would be
> greatly appreciative.

Still not working. Any other suggestions?

"Michael T" wrote:

> Try Safe Mode - press the F8 key (a few times while XP is booting). Then try
> Normal mode.
>
> "mrzepnicki" <choochaloo22@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > After logging in, the desktop appears but none of the icons show, no start
> > menu option, I can't right click but the mouse/cursor is showing and if I
> > go
> > to the task manager, I can start applications with it but still, no
> > desktop
> > icons. I've run tests and all kinds of 'doctors' to see if they'd pick up
> > on
> > a start-up issue but nothing. If anyone has a solution to this, I would be
> > greatly appreciative.

So you are saying you are witnessing the same behavior in Safe Mode?

Insert WinXP CD-ROM

Go to Start > Run and type
sfc /scannow
Click OK

This will at least check the integrity of your system files.

Here's a post for someone with a similar problem.
***************
1. Change the screen resolution to 800x600 or some other resolution and the
color resolution to 32K colors
2. Reboot the system
3. The icons should now be ok
4. Change the resolution back to the old screen resolution
*****************

However, I am not too optimistic about this workaround if the desktop icons
were missing in Safe Mode.

Finally, when you right-click on an unused space on your desktop do get a
drop-down menu with "Arrange Icons by" as a selection?

If yes, then when you move the mouse cursor over this selection are you able
to see that "Show Desktop Icons" is displayed?

If none of this helps, you may have to wait for a Microsoft MVP to post a
suggestion - as all I think of is to do an XP Repair install. But I really
don't think you should have to resort to such a drastic measure.

--
Michael

> Still not working. Any other suggestions?
>
> "Michael T" wrote:
>
>> Try Safe Mode - press the F8 key (a few times while XP is booting). Then
>> try
>> Normal mode.
>>
>> "mrzepnicki" <choochaloo22@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > After logging in, the desktop appears but none of the icons show, no
>> > start
>> > menu option, I can't right click but the mouse/cursor is showing and if
>> > go
>> > to the task manager, I can start applications with it but still, no
>> > desktop
>> > icons. I've run tests and all kinds of 'doctors' to see if they'd pick
>> > up
>> > on
>> > a start-up issue but nothing. If anyone has a solution to this, I would
>> > be
>> > greatly appreciative.

In safe mode, the desktop icons aren't showing and neither is the task bar. I
can't right-click to do anything and the start menu isn't available to use
the run command. I'm able to get things 'running', if I use the task manager
and browse through a cd in the drive... all my icons appear and all seems to
be working as normal. I also tried changing the resolution and changing it
back after reboot with no results, along with the sfc / scannow which did
nothing at all. I'm about to fix this problem with a 15 foot drop from my
second floor...

"Michael T" wrote:

> So you are saying you are witnessing the same behavior in Safe Mode?
>
> Insert WinXP CD-ROM
>
> Go to Start > Run and type
> sfc /scannow
> Click OK
>
> This will at least check the integrity of your system files.
>
> Here's a post for someone with a similar problem.
> ***************
> 1. Change the screen resolution to 800x600 or some other resolution and the
> color resolution to 32K colors
> 2. Reboot the system
> 3. The icons should now be ok
> 4. Change the resolution back to the old screen resolution
> *****************
>
> However, I am not too optimistic about this workaround if the desktop icons
> were missing in Safe Mode.
>
> Finally, when you right-click on an unused space on your desktop do get a
> drop-down menu with "Arrange Icons by" as a selection?
>
> If yes, then when you move the mouse cursor over this selection are you able
> to see that "Show Desktop Icons" is displayed?
>
> If none of this helps, you may have to wait for a Microsoft MVP to post a
> suggestion - as all I think of is to do an XP Repair install. But I really
> don't think you should have to resort to such a drastic measure.
>
> --
> Michael
>

> "mrzepnicki" <choochaloo22@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Still not working. Any other suggestions?
> >
> > "Michael T" wrote:
> >
> >> Try Safe Mode - press the F8 key (a few times while XP is booting). Then
> >> try
> >> Normal mode.
> >>
> >> "mrzepnicki" <choochaloo22@yahoo.com> wrote in message

You may be due for an XP Repair Install.

But first I would try the Repair feature in Tweakui (assuming your PC is
working well enough to download/install/run this utility.)

After you launch Tweakui select the Repair option (at the bottom of the tree
list).
Select "Rebuild Icons" from the combo box, then click the Repair Now button.

Presumably you have already scanned for viruses and Spyware.

--
Michael

> In safe mode, the desktop icons aren't showing and neither is the task
> bar. I
> can't right-click to do anything and the start menu isn't available to use
> the run command. I'm able to get things 'running', if I use the task
> manager
> and browse through a cd in the drive... all my icons appear and all seems
> be working as normal. I also tried changing the resolution and changing it
> back after reboot with no results, along with the sfc / scannow which did
> nothing at all. I'm about to fix this problem with a 15 foot drop from my
> second floor...
>
> "Michael T" wrote:
>
>> So you are saying you are witnessing the same behavior in Safe Mode?
>>
>> Insert WinXP CD-ROM
>>
>> Go to Start > Run and type
>> sfc /scannow
>> Click OK
>>
>> This will at least check the integrity of your system files.
>>
>> Here's a post for someone with a similar problem.
>> ***************
>> 1. Change the screen resolution to 800x600 or some other resolution and
>> the
>> color resolution to 32K colors
>> 2. Reboot the system
>> 3. The icons should now be ok
>> 4. Change the resolution back to the old screen resolution
>> *****************
>>
>> However, I am not too optimistic about this workaround if the desktop
>> icons
>> were missing in Safe Mode.
>>
>> Finally, when you right-click on an unused space on your desktop do get a
>> drop-down menu with "Arrange Icons by" as a selection?
>>
>> If yes, then when you move the mouse cursor over this selection are you
>> able
>> to see that "Show Desktop Icons" is displayed?
>>
>> If none of this helps, you may have to wait for a Microsoft MVP to post a
>> suggestion - as all I think of is to do an XP Repair install. But I
>> really
>> don't think you should have to resort to such a drastic measure.
>>
>> --
>> Michael
>>

>> "mrzepnicki" <choochaloo22@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Still not working. Any other suggestions?

I would try this tool also

"mrzepnicki" <choochaloo22@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In safe mode, the desktop icons aren't showing and neither is the task
> bar. I
> can't right-click to do anything and the start menu isn't available to use
> the run command. I'm able to get things 'running', if I use the task
> manager
> and browse through a cd in the drive... all my icons appear and all seems
> be working as normal. I also tried changing the resolution and changing it
> back after reboot with no results, along with the sfc / scannow which did
> nothing at all. I'm about to fix this problem with a 15 foot drop from my
> second floor...

Have you tried pressing the Windows key on your keyboard?

If all else fails, reboot in Safe Mode. When you get to the menu options,
press VGA mode. If everything works here, then it may be your video
drivers.

--

Michael

"mrzepnicki" <choochaloo22@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> In safe mode, the desktop icons aren't showing and neither is the task
> bar. I
> can't right-click to do anything and the start menu isn't available to use
> the run command. I'm able to get things 'running', if I use the task
> manager
> and browse through a cd in the drive... all my icons appear and all seems
> be working as normal. I also tried changing the resolution and changing it
> back after reboot with no results, along with the sfc / scannow which did
> nothing at all. I'm about to fix this problem with a 15 foot drop from my
> second floor...

Mr. T... rebooting in VGA mode must have done something... Before doing that
though, I had started up and only had the blue screen so I hit the window and
M keys to see if that would bring up my desktop and that worked. I should
probably reboot a few more times before I start celebrating but thank you
just the same.

Matt