Game minimizing to taskbar

Locke

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2001

Im pretty sure this has been posted before but I just joined and I couldnt
find it. I have cross-posted this in windowsxp.games newsgroup as well.

When I play a full screen game like Sim City 4, Empire Earth, or other games
like that, if I run the game in my normal desktop it will minimize every 2
minutes or so. If I disable all of my startup items then it wont do it at
all. So I know it is something in that startup list - so short of disabling
and checking one by one does anybody know the culprit?

I run the Norton Anti-virus and Norton Internet Security, I have an HP so
Backweb is on there, Speedfan, Task Manager, my Lexmark Printer Control,
Norton Ghost, and Spysweeper. Of couse there are all of the support
services that are really vague in their descriptions that startup as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Locke

Hi Locke,

Thank you for posting here.

For your situation, I strongly recommend you use Clean Boot to eliminate
third party interference Boot into Clean Boot environment. Steps are below.

1. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
the Open box, and then click OK.

2. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.

3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
and then click the "Disable All" button.

4. Click OK and restart your computer.

310560: How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

After you located the problematic application, I suggest you to remove it
temporarily and contact the manufacturer of this application for more
support.

Thank you for using Microsoft Newsgroup.

Thanks & Regards,

Vincent Xu

Microsoft Online Partner Support