Network Connections icons gone?

Hi,
I've had this problem for a while. When i go to see my Network
Connections, they're not available. I remember when I could see the
icon for the modem, but not anymore. Since i can't see the icon, I dont
know of any other way of disabling/enabling the native firewall.
I've tried to make a new connection, but when i use the wizard (I
choose "connect to internet", then "set connection manually", lastly
"Use connection that's always on" and the modem never appears in
Network Connections.

Has anyone heard of this before? Is there a way to correct
this?(besides the last step which is to reinstall XP). I've done virus
checks and nothing has come up. Also, is there any other way to
disable/enable the native firewall? Thanks in advanced to anyone with
information :)

Lester.

How to troubleshoot missing network connections icons in Windows Server 2003
and in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825826

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP