Disappearing hard disk space

May 20, 2005 10:04:03 PM

Hi, when I turn on or restart my computer, my hard disk (C: drive) has
between 700 and 800 MB of free space. However, within an hour or two, even
if I download nothing, the remaining free space dwindles rapidly until it
hits 0 MB. I've looked at the processes running under Task Manager, and none
of them seems to be a back door. And I've also run antispyware and antivirus
programs, none of which turn up any problem. This "disappearing hard disk
space" trouble has only been happening for the past few days or so. Does
anyone know what the cause and/or solution might be? Thanks very much!
May 20, 2005 10:14:01 PM

You are heading for problems in mre ways than you know.

Windows XP and its associated processes is not happy to run on a hard drive
with less than 25% of disk space free. This is used for temp files, swap
file [or [pagefile] and for file sorting etc when defragmenting the hard
drive.

I'd suggest that the pagefile, and other temp fies are eating into your
space big time.

You need to:
1. Run disk cleanup and free up as much space as possible, even delete all
but the most recent system restore file.
2. Consider moving data files to another hard drive [if available] or copy
the files onto a CD or DVD [do this twice just to ensure you have a backup].
3. Limit the amount of disk space used by Temporary Internet Files.
4. Limit the amount of disk space used by the System Restore Files.
5. Once you have recovered disk space etc, run a Disk Defrag.
6. If all the above is too much, think of buying an additional hard drive.

!