Disappearing hard disk space

Hi, when I turn on or restart my computer, my hard disk (C: drive) has
between 700 and 800 MB of free space. However, within an hour or two, even
if I download nothing, the remaining free space dwindles rapidly until it
hits 0 MB. I've looked at the processes running under Task Manager, and none
of them seems to be a back door. And I've also run antispyware and antivirus
programs, none of which turn up any problem. This "disappearing hard disk
space" trouble has only been happening for the past few days or so. Does
anyone know what the cause and/or solution might be? Thanks very much!
1 answer Last reply
More about disappearing hard disk space

    You are heading for problems in mre ways than you know.

    Windows XP and its associated processes is not happy to run on a hard drive
    with less than 25% of disk space free. This is used for temp files, swap
    file [or [pagefile] and for file sorting etc when defragmenting the hard
    drive.

    I'd suggest that the pagefile, and other temp fies are eating into your
    space big time.

    You need to:
    1. Run disk cleanup and free up as much space as possible, even delete all
    but the most recent system restore file.
    2. Consider moving data files to another hard drive [if available] or copy
    the files onto a CD or DVD [do this twice just to ensure you have a backup].
    3. Limit the amount of disk space used by Temporary Internet Files.
    4. Limit the amount of disk space used by the System Restore Files.
    5. Once you have recovered disk space etc, run a Disk Defrag.
    6. If all the above is too much, think of buying an additional hard drive.

    "Maxtone Witherball" wrote:

    > Hi, when I turn on or restart my computer, my hard disk (C: drive) has
    > between 700 and 800 MB of free space. However, within an hour or two, even
    > if I download nothing, the remaining free space dwindles rapidly until it
    > hits 0 MB. I've looked at the processes running under Task Manager, and none
    > of them seems to be a back door. And I've also run antispyware and antivirus
    > programs, none of which turn up any problem. This "disappearing hard disk
    > space" trouble has only been happening for the past few days or so. Does
    > anyone know what the cause and/or solution might be? Thanks very much!

Hard Drives Free Space Windows XP