INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing status 32768

Just built a computer using a MSI K7N2 Delta2 motherboard and a AMD
3200+ processor. Trying to load an OEM version of Windows XP Home.
Changed the BIOS to boot from the CD Rom. Windows installation starts,
at least the beginning that states it is checking hardware
configuration, then i get the following error "INF file txtsetup.sif is
corrupt or missing status 32768". Microsoft support is zero help,
unless of course you pay $35. Seems outrageous, since this is an
installation question. The hard drive is brand new. In fact all the
components are brand new except the DVD drive we are using to read the
Windows disk. The only things connected are the mouse, keyboard,
monitor, video card (radeon 9800 pro), dvd drive, and hard drive
(maxtor Diamondmax 9 SATA 120GB).

Can anyone help us?

Thanks,

Barry

--
reedbx
reedbx's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12786

    Apparently, you are attempting to reformat your drive
    the old fashioned way. Read the following for an easy
    procedure:

    The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.

    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.

    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/sec...ct/default.aspx

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "reedbx" wrote:

    | Just built a computer using a MSI K7N2 Delta2 motherboard and a AMD
    | 3200+ processor. Trying to load an OEM version of Windows XP Home.
    | Changed the BIOS to boot from the CD Rom. Windows installation starts,
    | at least the beginning that states it is checking hardware
    | configuration, then i get the following error "INF file txtsetup.sif is
    | corrupt or missing status 32768". Microsoft support is zero help,
    | unless of course you pay $35. Seems outrageous, since this is an
    | installation question. The hard drive is brand new. In fact all the
    | components are brand new except the DVD drive we are using to read the
    | Windows disk. The only things connected are the mouse, keyboard,
    | monitor, video card (radeon 9800 pro), dvd drive, and hard drive
    | (maxtor Diamondmax 9 SATA 120GB).
    |
    | Can anyone help us?
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Barry

    There is a reason why the OEM version of Windows XP Home is considerably
    less expensive than the retail version of Windows XP Home -- the OEM, not
    Microsoft, is responsible for providing Windows XP Home technical support.

    Since, as you admit, you are the OEM, you are responsible for providing
    Windows XP Home technical support.

    Some suggestions for troubleshooting:

    If the installation disk has a scratch or a fingerprint, you can experience
    corrupt files.
    During pre-installation, files are read from the CD and unpacked to system
    memory. If there is a problem with your system IO, the file will be munged
    during the unpack/write process.
    During installation, Windows pulls the unpacked files from memory. If you
    have faulty memory, a correctly unpacked/written file will be corrupt when
    Windows installer tries to read it.

    Good luck,
    --
    steve

    nhit_whit_thenut_@yahoo.com
    remove _thenut_ to reach me

    "reedbx" <reedbx.1pcyqt@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote in message

    > Just built a computer using a MSI K7N2 Delta2 motherboard and a AMD
    > 3200+ processor. Trying to load an OEM version of Windows XP Home.
    > Changed the BIOS to boot from the CD Rom. Windows installation starts,
    > at least the beginning that states it is checking hardware
    > configuration, then i get the following error "INF file txtsetup.sif is
    > corrupt or missing status 32768". Microsoft support is zero help,
    > unless of course you pay $35. Seems outrageous, since this is an
    > installation question. The hard drive is brand new. In fact all the
    > components are brand new except the DVD drive we are using to read the
    > Windows disk. The only things connected are the mouse, keyboard,
    > monitor, video card (radeon 9800 pro), dvd drive, and hard drive
    > (maxtor Diamondmax 9 SATA 120GB).
    >
    > Can anyone help us?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Barry