Inspiron 8200 Laptop

I just got a system that when powered on, system will not recognize the DVD
drive or the HDD. I can access the BIOS and see that everything is present
with the exception of the DVD and HDD. I'm pretty sure that it's a
motherboard malfunction.

Does anyone know what specifically could be wrong, and if it's something
that can be taken care of without having to replace the whole motherboard?

I'd appreciate anyone's ideas. Thanks!!!
4 answers Last reply
More about inspiron 8200 laptop

    Reseat both devices. Try the optical drive alone (no hard drive). If
    it works, chances are the hard drive is failing.

    If nothing works after reseating the drives, chances are you need a new
    mainboard.

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 21:28:23 -0700, "Mike" <no@where.com> wrote:

    >I just got a system that when powered on, system will not recognize the DVD
    >drive or the HDD. I can access the BIOS and see that everything is present
    >with the exception of the DVD and HDD. I'm pretty sure that it's a
    >motherboard malfunction.

    If the harddrive is dead or not present you can't see the DVD-drive.
    Stupid but true:-)

    Here's a newbie question. . . Does the hard drive have to be a Dell drive?
    I am trying to use a known working Toshiba drive. I've checked the
    placement of the pins on my Toshiba drive in comparison to pictures that
    I've seen of Dell drives. They look the same. However, if the system is
    proprietary, that would make some sense.

    Thanks again for the help and advice. . .

    Mike

    "Henning" <newsmail@REMOVETHISmailme.dk> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 21:28:23 -0700, "Mike" <no@where.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I just got a system that when powered on, system will not recognize the
    >>DVD
    >>drive or the HDD. I can access the BIOS and see that everything is
    >>present
    >>with the exception of the DVD and HDD. I'm pretty sure that it's a
    >>motherboard malfunction.
    >
    > If the harddrive is dead or not present you can't see the DVD-drive.
    > Stupid but true:-)

    Dell does not make a hard drive, they use off-the-shelf drives. Any laptop
    drive that fits physically should work OK.

    "Mike" <no@where.com> wrote in message news:cS9Xd.1156$uk7.164@fed1read01...
    > Here's a newbie question. . . Does the hard drive have to be a Dell
    drive?
    > I am trying to use a known working Toshiba drive. I've checked the
    > placement of the pins on my Toshiba drive in comparison to pictures that
    > I've seen of Dell drives. They look the same. However, if the system is
    > proprietary, that would make some sense.
    >
    > Thanks again for the help and advice. . .
    >
    > Mike
    >

    > "Henning" <newsmail@REMOVETHISmailme.dk> wrote in message
    > > On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 21:28:23 -0700, "Mike" <no@where.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>I just got a system that when powered on, system will not recognize the
    > >>DVD
    > >>drive or the HDD. I can access the BIOS and see that everything is
    > >>present
    > >>with the exception of the DVD and HDD. I'm pretty sure that it's a
    > >>motherboard malfunction.
    > >
    > > If the harddrive is dead or not present you can't see the DVD-drive.
    > > Stupid but true:-)

Dell Hard Drives Motherboards Computers