City Fido coming to Montréal

Last response: in Network Providers
September 1, 2004 3:45:29 AM

had complained to Fido about coverage which made my phone unusable in the
house since last may (used to work well). Fido sent some folks who confirmed a
coverage hole and told me that they were planning a new antenna. Found out it
might be next year. And also found out that Fido is considering CityFoido for
Montréal by next year as well.

They are having problems in Toronto due to popularity of CityFido, and this
isn't just capacity problems, but also coverage quality (dropped cals,
glitches in voice etc) due to their deployment of many antennas and they
haven't yet had the time to fine tune everything. I was told that Vancouver
has settled down and problems more or less fixed there.
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 9:27:14 AM

I would agree that generally Vancouver has settled down, but I am still
somewhat dissatisfied.

I don't know what they did in my area (Kits, near Burrard and 6th) but
early in the Cityfido setup they significantly reduced the quality of
reception from near landline quality to almost unuseable.

Given that I have used my phone as my primary phone for several years, I
was not pleased at all.

It took 4 months of calling them to complain, and being told that there
were problems and they would get to it soon.

They have at last improved it to a level that is useable, but still not
the high quality that I used to have.

Suffice to say, there are some other offers out there that are quite
attractive, and I am beginning to consider going to somebody else.

Andrew

JF Mezei wrote:

> had complained to Fido about coverage which made my phone unusable in the
> house since last may (used to work well). Fido sent some folks who confirmed a
> coverage hole and told me that they were planning a new antenna. Found out it
> might be next year. And also found out that Fido is considering CityFoido for
> Montréal by next year as well.
>
> They are having problems in Toronto due to popularity of CityFido, and this
> isn't just capacity problems, but also coverage quality (dropped cals,
> glitches in voice etc) due to their deployment of many antennas and they
> haven't yet had the time to fine tune everything. I was told that Vancouver
> has settled down and problems more or less fixed there.
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 9:17:56 AM

In article <413545AD.5F2EF4C3@teksavvy.com>,
JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

> They are having problems in Toronto due to popularity of CityFido, and this
> isn't just capacity problems, but also coverage quality (dropped cals,
> glitches in voice etc) due to their deployment of many antennas and they
> haven't yet had the time to fine tune everything. I was told that Vancouver
> has settled down and problems more or less fixed there.

I never really had any problems in the Vancouver area; worst thing I
think I ran into was slower SMS that week. It must vary a lot depending
on *exactly* where you are.

--
Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
"Morituri Nolumus Mori."

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 05:17:56 GMT, Steven Fisher <sdfisher@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>I never really had any problems in the Vancouver area; worst thing I
>think I ran into was slower SMS that week. It must vary a lot depending
>on *exactly* where you are.

It also depends what model of phone you have - some are better than
others afterall and cheap ones may not perform well if the signal is a
bit weak or they're competing with other network traffic.

I've got a SE P800 and it's worked flawlessly. The number of dropped
calls and voice glitches in Vancouver have been quite minor for me.
!