Sign in with
Your question

top quality TV-OUT?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 23, 2004 1:16:34 AM

Is there any review of which brand of graphics card will give top quality TV-OUT? For examply, my new powercolor 9200se (radeon) is so bad you can't watch it. I want to play videos using powerDVD in fullscreen mode, and then record the output on a good VCR, but, why bother if the tv-out from the graphics card is not top quality. I haven't found any current reviews that specifically assess this feature. A big complaint here is that so many cards advertise TV OUT, but the picture is so bad it amounts to false advertising. Surely some card mfg does provide this feature with top quality? No? littelberry

More about : top quality

October 23, 2004 1:18:15 AM

Um, isn't that illegal anyway?
October 23, 2004 2:03:17 AM

you have many options...

1.)you can use a s video cable with a rca adapter and put that directly to your vcr.

2.) you get get a tv tuner card or a device like dazzel, and use one of those to get you copy to vhs.

3.) Get a graphics card that has DVI and get a tv that supports DVI/HD and send it that way to the vcr. ($$$) can be done cheaper with analog (regular g-card connection), just get a vga adapter to rca or svideo.

4.) make a dvd/cd copy and play it in a dvd, then record it.

5.) get a video camera, export from comp to camera, make copy with vcr.

<font color=red>hope this helps. i work in itv, so i know my stuff. let me know if you need more info.</font color=red>

<font color=blue>Mediocer</font color=blue>

<font color=red>Expert user</font color=red>, <font color=orange>Novice questions</font color=orange>. :tongue:
<i>A64 3400+ 1mb</i>
Related resources
October 23, 2004 2:25:04 AM

I guess I didn't make myself clear. All I want is to know which graphics cards with TV-OUT produce TOP QUALITY composite video to a TV with composite video in (or s-vhs), or a vcr. I have tried several video cards that *advertised* tv-out but the quality is not worth looking at. In the past, I tried those $200 pc-to-tv converters, and they likewise are not worth looking at. I have a lot of home-made mpeg files that play very well with PowerDVD, but nowhere else (DVD players freeze up or skip frames). I can watch it on my PC monitor, but, I would really like to see them sometimes ON A TV set, so, I just need to get a video card that has TOP QUSLITY TV out. Instead of spending so much money trying the ones that falsly advertise this, I would like to hear from someone who has one and can report postively that it produces top quality video on the TV set, or VCR, for later playing on a TV set. littleberry
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2004 2:38:07 AM

I have your solution! Get an old Real Magic Hollywood Plus DVD decoder card. The TV-Out is suppurb, and the only thing you'll see on the TV-Out is the movie (no TV passthrough for your video card). There's a Macrovision crack which allowed me to record protected DVD's to VHS without the encryption stripes (bright/dimm) so I could play them on my TV/VCR combo.

Of course I OWNED my DVD's.

The quality issue you speak of COULD be CAUSED by running through a VCR, this would be true if it were essentially a movie problem, Macrovision causes VCR's to go funny.

Don't know where to get a Hollywood Plus? I'll sell you one without the cables for $20 including shipping. You can connect it directly to your VCR.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 23, 2004 2:50:44 AM

I read on google post that hollywood plus doesn't play from powerdvd - is that right? They said it has its own software and I doubt it would be as full featured as powerDVD is - I don't know. I won't be playing DVD's, which I thought was what hollywood plus was for - mine are all mpegs. If I go to the trouble of authoring and creating a compliant DVD, then I can just play it on a dvd player - but, that is a lot of work and I have too many mpegs for that. Since they play very well with powerdvd, I really need to just get a good video card whose tv-out is as good as what a dvd player provides. But if hollywood plus will let powerdvd drive it, then, yes, that would be a good solution (it is PCI, I assume?). littleberry
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2004 6:16:17 AM

Quote:
I won't be playing DVD's, which I thought was what hollywood plus was for - mine are all mpegs.

Jeez, you're right, what the heck does dvd have to do with mpeg! Crash must be crazy.

I think your answer is a <A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA5MzYzMjMwN1N..." target="_new">Universal Computer Bah</A>, if it aint in there, it can't be done. But first you will need to convert your mpegs to WMV edit them with the free i-movie, use the ati video soap included with your R9200 on it, and then convert it to Super-VCD so you can transfer it to MPEG compression again so that you can read them with a GO Video DVD-VCR dubber with disabled Macrovision. Don't forget a video stabilizer as well. Of course it would be better if you recorded to Beta though, cause VHS really sux!

After that you should have that tag line TOP QUALITY VIDEO you are looking for.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2004 6:35:10 AM

Hehe, DVD players work with MPEG1 and 2 files and have their own player. Their player is more flexible than most software players, it allows you to do odd things like stretch a video to full screen or blow it up to full screen by clipping the sides. It's a macrovision-free way to display MPEG1 and 2 video on a TV, and with the macrovision disabling utility, can also be used with a VCR.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 23, 2004 9:19:19 AM

Even cheap DVD players output good quality composite video from a compliant DVD video disc, but I haven't found one yet that will play non-compliant mpeg2 files (as files on a data disc) without freezing up or skipping frames or letting audio get out of sync. PowerDVD (and winDVD) both play these files perfectly, so that is why I was wanting to get good TV-OUT. What I have been doing so far is upgrading some selected of these mpeg2 files to DVD so I can see them on a TV - but it is a lot of work and I was just hoping I could avoid doing that. Maybe the hollywood card idea is the way to go - I'll have to find out what kind of software it uses. littleberry
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2004 8:05:05 PM

I would tell you that the Hollywood cards do a great job playing SVCD encoded MPEG2 files from the hard drive, even with movies you download from pirate sites, but since that would be illegal, I can't tell you that.

October 23, 2004 9:45:44 PM

Just to satisfy curiosity about these mpeg2 files. You can receive live composite input from a camcorder, vcr, tv antennae, cable, or satelite, and use one of several mpeg2 capture cards (avc2000 is the one I have) and you get about 2 gigs of mpeg2 per hour. This is just the mpeg2 conversion of a live composite stream. Or you can use a satellite reciever/recorder and transfer the recorded broadcasts from the reciever's h/d onto the h/d in a PC via a USB2-IDE adapter and get mpeg2 files. None of these mpeg2 files were created using any kind of region-breaking or code-breaking technologies - just converting composite to mpeg2 or transferring mpeg2 from non-windows h/d to a windows h/d. Rather than keep these mpeg2 files on a harddrive, it makes sense to burn them onto a DVD disc as data - OR - go to the bother of authoring them and creating a compliant DVD, which could mean decoding and re-encoding the mpeg2 for DVD compliancy. I usually just burn the raw mpeg2 as is, becuase they play very well with powerDVD. If the hollywood plus card and software will play them to a tv set and they look as good as if I were to create a DVD from the raw mpeg2 and play them with my home DVD player, then there is no need to make a DVD (which is what I am hoping to avoid). littleberry
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2004 9:53:13 PM

These Hollywood cards output any MPEG/MPEG2 file exactly how it's received. You don't have to burn them to DVD, or convert them, you can play them as a file, and the TV-Output is exact quality (what goes in comes out).

!