Format that harddrive

I have two 20 gig harddrives in my computer... both have WinXP Pro... while
switching things around trying to build a second computer I inadvertently did
SOMETHING to cause a harddrive fault on one HD... silly me... anyway, I've
now slaved it to the other HD and can access my data (thankya god & Bill
Gates), and will back it up to ROM... what I need to do is format that drive
and reload WinXP on it on the OTHER computer... only I've never done it
before, I know a fair bit, but have just never had any luck with loading an
OS onto a formatted drive, have always ended up paying someone to do it for
me, but now I can't afford that... any advice, secret tricks, coercive DOS
code, would be very much appreciated.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You cannot have the same copy of XP installed on two different computers.

"Semi-puter-literate" <Semi-puter-literate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:9D9D1657-93E8-4348-8BF6-8EBAE71CC676@microsoft.com...
>I have two 20 gig harddrives in my computer... both have WinXP Pro... while
> switching things around trying to build a second computer I inadvertently
> did
> SOMETHING to cause a harddrive fault on one HD... silly me... anyway, I've
> now slaved it to the other HD and can access my data (thankya god & Bill
> Gates), and will back it up to ROM... what I need to do is format that
> drive
> and reload WinXP on it on the OTHER computer... only I've never done it
> before, I know a fair bit, but have just never had any luck with loading
> an
> OS onto a formatted drive, have always ended up paying someone to do it
> for
> me, but now I can't afford that... any advice, secret tricks, coercive DOS
> code, would be very much appreciated.

Yes I know that... it still doesn't tell me how to go about formatting a
harddrive and installing an OS on it... even if the OS is Win98 (for which I
do still have original disks), all I want is to use my MSOffice on it, as a
word processor, anyway... and I do know how to network the two computers so I
can use MS software from one, on the other, but not the OS
--
Carpe Delerium -- seize the madness while there is still some fun to be had

"Jerry" wrote:

> You cannot have the same copy of XP installed on two different computers.
>
> "Semi-puter-literate" <Semi-puter-literate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message news:9D9D1657-93E8-4348-8BF6-8EBAE71CC676@microsoft.com...
> >I have two 20 gig harddrives in my computer... both have WinXP Pro... while
> > switching things around trying to build a second computer I inadvertently
> > did
> > SOMETHING to cause a harddrive fault on one HD... silly me... anyway, I've
> > now slaved it to the other HD and can access my data (thankya god & Bill
> > Gates), and will back it up to ROM... what I need to do is format that
> > drive
> > and reload WinXP on it on the OTHER computer... only I've never done it
> > before, I know a fair bit, but have just never had any luck with loading
> > an
> > OS onto a formatted drive, have always ended up paying someone to do it
> > for
> > me, but now I can't afford that... any advice, secret tricks, coercive DOS
> > code, would be very much appreciated.

Right click the drive in Windows Explorer and choose Format Drive?

"Semi-puter-literate" <Semi-puter-literate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:9D9D1657-93E8-4348-8BF6-8EBAE71CC676@microsoft.com...
> I have two 20 gig harddrives in my computer... both have WinXP Pro...
while
> switching things around trying to build a second computer I inadvertently
did
> SOMETHING to cause a harddrive fault on one HD... silly me... anyway, I've
> now slaved it to the other HD and can access my data (thankya god & Bill
> Gates), and will back it up to ROM... what I need to do is format that
drive
> and reload WinXP on it on the OTHER computer... only I've never done it
> before, I know a fair bit, but have just never had any luck with loading
an
> OS onto a formatted drive, have always ended up paying someone to do it
for
> me, but now I can't afford that... any advice, secret tricks, coercive DOS
> code, would be very much appreciated.

Install the drive into the other computer, configure your bios to boot the
cd first, pop in the windows xp cd and choose to partition and format the
drive. Then the os loads. Of course you need to buy another license.