XP home after hardware change?

Tags:
  • Hardware
  • Windows XP
May 21, 2005 12:30:01 AM

I recently had a major power supply fault that necessitated a new mainboard
and processor( not original equipment). The tech doing the replacement got
the pre-installed operating sytem running and got a new ID from M.S. with a
phone authorization.

Up to this point I'm happy, but my question is if XP should require a
re-install for any reason in the future, could this be done in any way with
my OEM (emachine) recovery discs? Or for that matter through any other legal
method?

Say hypothetically that these recovery discs are coasters, since I do have a
valid licence, would it be possible and or legal, to install from a legal
full version of XP home and authorize with the current I.D. numbers?
Any insights would be appreciated,
--
I.C.

More about : home hardware change

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 11:57:58 AM

Your Product Key (license) will only work with the Recovery CDs you
received with your computer. You cannot use that Product Key
with any other Windows XP CD.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Idiotcanuck" wrote:

| I recently had a major power supply fault that necessitated a new mainboard
| and processor( not original equipment). The tech doing the replacement got
| the pre-installed operating sytem running and got a new ID from M.S. with a
| phone authorization.
|
| Up to this point I'm happy, but my question is if XP should require a
| re-install for any reason in the future, could this be done in any way with
| my OEM (emachine) recovery discs? Or for that matter through any other legal
| method?
|
| Say hypothetically that these recovery discs are coasters, since I do have a
| valid licence, would it be possible and or legal, to install from a legal
| full version of XP home and authorize with the current I.D. numbers?
| Any insights would be appreciated,
| --
| I.C.
Anonymous