Error message"no valid system partion found"

jeffrey

Distinguished
May 4, 2001

I am tryiong to reinstall windows xp on my dell 4550 with the instalation cd,
and as soon as it begins I get "setup cannot continue-no valid system
partions found. It appears I only have one partion, the c drive. Please advise
--
jeffrey800

You must be missing a primary partition on the drive,go to the drives mfg
web site,download the DOS utility,usually put on a floppy drive,then boot to
floppy,format the drive.

"jeffrey" wrote:

> I am tryiong to reinstall windows xp on my dell 4550 with the instalation cd,
> and as soon as it begins I get "setup cannot continue-no valid system
> partions found. It appears I only have one partion, the c drive. Please advise
> --
> jeffrey800

Hi Jeffrey,

Have you checked the drive integrity yet? It may have failed. This is best
done with a drive diagnostic utility from the drive manufacturer.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone