Sign in with
Your question

Can't get to Desktop in Windows 7 OEM 64-Bit!

Last response: in Windows 7
June 30, 2010 6:51:27 PM

Hi, after recently building my brand new system I immediately tried to install windows 7 OEM 64-Bit and after taking me to the desktop i noticed there were only 3 options at the bottom in the toolbar one was Internet Explorer icon, another was library for folders and everything, and one was windows live...i tried to connect to the internet but it wouldn't let me and i could not connect to my router... so being offline i went into the rate my system area and windows 7 gave me a 1.0 on my radeon 5770.... probably due to drivers... i never installed any drivers because i thought i could go online and download the latest ones... so i rebooted my system for updates and after it says loading system files it gives my this error saying Windows 7 was not installed correctly please click "ok" to restart your system and continue installation. So i click "ok" and my system reboots to the same issue once again over and over.... after my second try on the reboot my screen goes black and sometimes blue and won't respond... I think this is a memory issue but im not sure. Everytime i press my power button the system does not start, I have to press and hold the MemOK! button on my motherboard to get it to turn on... the ram im using is not recommended on the manufacturers website. Can anybody help me resolve this issue or tell me whats malfunctioning?
Thanks in advance!

System specs:
Phenom 955 @ 3.2GHz
ASUS M4A89TD PRO
Corsair DDR3 1600 XMS 3 ( 2 x 2gb )
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770
OCZ ModXStream 700w Modular power supply
NZXT Hades Case
Windows 7 OEM 64-Bit
Western Digital 500GB Black Edition
Lite-On 24X DVD burner
(Bought another 140mm fan for case)
a c 354 $ Windows 7
June 30, 2010 6:57:06 PM

You have some more issues than just not seeing the desktop. Which is normal, as Windows 7 at default only has the recycle bin showing.

First download all the drivers for your system on another computer (without network card drivers working how are you going to go online to find any??), re-install Windows 7 with deleting and re-creating the partition to make sure no bad files are stuck on the drive.

I'd try it with only 1 stick of RAM in there for now, 2gig is plenty to get your system going, then you can try to mess with the RAM.
m
l
June 30, 2010 7:02:20 PM

hang-the-9 said:
You have some more issues than just not seeing the desktop. Which is normal, as Windows 7 at default only has the recycle bin showing.

First download all the drivers for your system on another computer (without network card drivers working how are you going to go online to find any??), re-install Windows 7 with deleting and re-creating the partition to make sure no bad files are stuck on the drive.

I'd try it with only 1 stick of RAM in there for now, 2gig is plenty to get your system going, then you can try to mess with the RAM.

Thanks for the reply. I can download all the drivers and use EZ Flash 2 and upload them but how do I reinstall Windows 7? Everytime I put in the disc it takes me back to the error. I've tried both sticks of ram one stick at a time and it does nothing. Also do you know why i can't get my system started unless i use the MEM OK! button? Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
a c 354 $ Windows 7
June 30, 2010 8:19:10 PM

juicycrapachino said:
Thanks for the reply. I can download all the drivers and use EZ Flash 2 and upload them but how do I reinstall Windows 7? Everytime I put in the disc it takes me back to the error. I've tried both sticks of ram one stick at a time and it does nothing. Also do you know why i can't get my system started unless i use the MEM OK! button? Thanks.

Your RAM is from a good source and you did not say your old Windows setup was crashing, so it's fair to say that's not an issue. Although not 100% unless you swap out a totally different RAM chip in there from what you have now.

I am not familiar with the MEM OK button, but you may want to reset the BIOS to default. Maybe it's not reading the timings correctly off your memory.

At what point do you get the error? After Win 7 installs or during? Have you deleted the partition during the re-install?
m
l
June 30, 2010 9:44:22 PM

Upon booting up my computer it shows the message and i can't do anything but press "ok"... I've tried to wipe my hard drive with a program called boot and nuke but i don't know if i downloaded it right on my blank dvd disc but it didn't work even after i set my bootup to boot the dvd drive first in the BIOS... also i never had an old windows setup. i just finished building this computer...
m
l
a c 354 $ Windows 7
June 30, 2010 9:53:53 PM

I am not familiar with your motherboard so can't figure out why you would get that memory error. I'm sure you would have tried different RAM if you had it, but that may be something to check into.
m
l
!