Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Budget laptop for playing BF3 at high/ ultra setting

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
August 24, 2012 4:25:02 PM

Hello,
I am going to buy new laptop for work and entertainment, I already have gaming pc at home on which I play BF3 and many more games.
I am looking for decent laptop which can handle games like BF3 with decent Fps at 760p.
Screen 14 in. Max
Should be light to carry.
Reasonably priced.
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 4:39:58 PM

Your best bet would probably be an AMD laptop with an A8 or A10 APU. If you want higher settings for quality, then a dual-graphics solution might be great.
m
l
August 24, 2012 4:42:41 PM

Can AMD handle game like Diablo or bf3 .. I heard they have issues of overheating .. Considering I am staying in a hot country
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 5:00:03 PM

I haven't had overheating issues with any AMD APUs. That was an issue several years ago, but not with AMD's APUs. Diablo 3 is a very light game and you'd probably be able to play it in 1080p without a problem if the display went that high in resolution. BF3 should be fine in your requested resolution, although it might be better with a discrete card in CF with the A8s or A10s.
m
l

Best solution

August 24, 2012 5:00:47 PM
August 24, 2012 5:09:27 PM

amk09 said:
+1 if you want to play bf3 on ultra then go with this laptop. the 660m is a beastly little notebook gpu.

At the laptop's native resolution (1600x900) this laptop has no chance of maxing out BF3 at a respectable frame-rate.

OP: I am afraid that you are going to be looking at shelling out at least cool grand and a half if you want a brand new laptop capable of maxing BF3 at a decent frame-rate and decent resolution.

If I were you, I would go with this...

http://www.avadirect.com/gaming-laptop-configurator.asp...

That will do quite nicely for maxing out BF3 on the go.
m
l
August 24, 2012 5:13:28 PM

amk09 said:
+1 if you want to play bf3 on ultra then go with this laptop. the 660m is a beastly little notebook gpu.

You do realize that particular mobile chip is integrated with the processor, right?
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 5:15:08 PM

The Radeon 7970M is probably a better way to go than the GTX 680M. Its generally a lot cheaper, yet is an often better performing card, mostly due to it having far higher memory bandwidth. The GTX 680M is like a GTX 660 Ti, except with even weaker memory bandwidth. I don't recommend it at all. I'm not saying that it won't make someone happy, but it is not the best option.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 5:16:16 PM

PCgamer81 said:
You do realize that particular mobile chip is integrated with the processor, right?

The GTX 660M is not integrated into the CPU. The Intel HD 4000 graphics is, but the 660M is not.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 5:16:32 PM

Budget and BF3 at ultra don't go together, laptop or desktop. lol.
m
l
August 24, 2012 5:17:16 PM

blazorthon said:
The Radeon 7970M is probably a better way to go than the GTX 680M. Its generally a lot cheaper, yet is an often better performing card, mostly due to it having far higher memory bandwidth. The GTX 680M is like a GTX 660 Ti, except with even weaker memory bandwidth. I don't recommend it at all. I'm not saying that it won't make someone happy, but it is not the best option.

The laptop I linked is available with either chip.

Personally, I am not sure that bandwidth is that important on a mobile display. But I could be wrong.

In any case, the Clevo comes with either.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 5:18:59 PM

PCgamer81 said:
The laptop I linked is available with either chip.

Personally, I am not sure that bandwidth is that important on a mobile display. But I could be wrong.

In any case, the Clevo comes with either.

Memory bandwidth is the only significant difference between the GTX 680M and the GTX 670. It obviously makes a difference because of the huge deficit in performance between them. Using good AA, the 680M crawls in comparison to 7970M.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 5:19:50 PM

getochkn said:
Budget and BF3 at ultra don't go together, laptop or desktop. lol.

A $500 desktop can be built to handle BF3 excellently (even in MP) at 1080p. Budget laptops and BF3 don't go together very well, but low-budget desktops can easily be built with BF3 in mind.
m
l
August 24, 2012 5:20:26 PM

blazorthon said:
The GTX 660M is not integrated into the CPU. The Intel HD 4000 graphics is, but the 660M is not.

On that particular notebook it is.

m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 5:21:31 PM

PCgamer81 said:
On that particular notebook it is.

There isn't a single laptop that has any Nvidia graphics integrated into an Intel CPU. It can be integrated into the motherboard, but it can't be integrated into the CPU. That link is either wrong or referring to something else.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 5:25:48 PM

Also, Optimus is switchable graphics, not graphics that is integrated into the CPU. Switchable graphics is when a powerful GPU can be switched for a weaker, lower power consumption GPU depending on the workload. That's what Optimius does.
m
l
August 24, 2012 5:44:25 PM

blazorthon said:
There isn't a single laptop that has any Nvidia graphics integrated into an Intel CPU. It can be integrated into the motherboard, but it can't be integrated into the CPU. That link is either wrong or referring to something else.

If what you say is correct, the seller is flat wrong, or worded it wrongly.

That description falls under the Nvidia 660m header, that's why.

In any case, that's not the laptop to get based on the OP's demands.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 5:48:22 PM

PCgamer81 said:
If what you say is correct, the seller is flat wrong, or worded it wrongly.

That description falls under the Nvidia 660m header, that's why.

The best IGP of any Intel CPU is the HD 4000. None of Intel's CPUs have a Nvidia IGP. I think that they just meant to say that the 660M is integrated into the motherboard. I'll look into this to confirm/deny it for sure, but I'm absolutely sure that it is not integrated into a CPU. That would be a very large CPU die, especially for a mobile CPU. Although Intel puts up with Nvidia, they only do so because the alternative is working with AMD. Intel kinda hates Nvidia and the chances of them working together on such a project are slim to none, especially with AMD's APUs only seeing limited commercial success.
m
l
August 24, 2012 5:52:53 PM

Um. I have the vaguest feeling that kpssandhu lives in the Indian subcontinent.

Mainly because of the "AMD cpus overheat" bit, that's pretty popular around here (and the name of course).

So is "where is that pentium V?" :lol: 

Anyway, if kpssandhu could please state his budget i think that'll help everyone a lot, because the laptop that costs $1000 in the US ends up at around $1200+ here in India (i believe it would cost even more in the rest of the subcontinent).

And $900+ may not be his idea of "budget".

Also, a $1200 gaming laptop over here usually has a 660m or equivalent GPU.

Wouldn't really recommend a non-gaming laptop for BF3. You'll end up frying the CPU (i say this from experience, a friend of mine got a toshiba from the US and BF3 saw its CPU hitting 95*C+).

p.s. @PCGamer: agree with blazorthon, IGP means it's on the same die as CPU (and in earlier years integrated into the mobo, though that was a graphics controller, i believe, processing was still done by the CPU). Nvidia/AMD notebook GPUs can be removed from the mobo, and have their own memory and controller.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 5:54:39 PM

ojas said:

Mainly because of the "AMD cpus overheat" bit, that's pretty popular around here (and the name of course).

Anyway, if kpssandhu could please state his budget i think that'll help everyone a lot, because the laptop that costs $1000 in the US ends up at around $1200+ here in India (i believe it would cost even more in the rest of the subcontinent).

That brings me back to the APU argument.
m
l
August 24, 2012 6:00:04 PM

but blazorthon, an APU wouldn't be able to touch ultra...probably good for medium, maybe high with dual graphics.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 6:27:58 PM

True, at least for BF3, but with CF, it could get high (maybe ultra, depending on the APU and the discrete card as well as the APU's memory configuration and other in-game settings) and it would still be in an affordable budget.
m
l
August 24, 2012 6:32:12 PM

blazorthon said:
Memory bandwidth is the only significant difference between the GTX 680M and the GTX 670. It obviously makes a difference because of the huge deficit in performance between them. Using good AA, the 680M crawls in comparison to 7970M.

memory bandwidth isn't the difference... it's got the same bandwidth...

the only difference is that it's got 4GB of vram instead of 2 and the core/memory clock is underclocked by a ton....
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 6:39:47 PM

killerhurtalot said:
memory bandwidth isn't the difference... it's got the same bandwidth...

the only difference is that it's got 4GB of vram instead of 2 and the core/memory clock is underclocked by a ton....

The GTX 680M has a little more than half of the GTX 670's memory bandwidth and that is why it doesn't performa about on-par with the 670. The core clock isn't that much lower and the GK104 is so memory bandwidth bottle-necked that underclocking it doesn't make a huge difference. I cite the GTX 670 and the GTX 680 performing on-par despite the 680 having a roughly 20% faster GPU as proof of this as well as the 660 TI performing worse than the 670 even when the GPU is overclocked far above a stock 670's GPU.
m
l
August 24, 2012 6:42:20 PM

Please note that GTX 670m and GTX 675m are both Fermi. The GTX 680m is the only high end Kepler laptop card. So i don't know where you are going with that blazorthon.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 6:44:28 PM

shiftstealth said:
Please note that GTX 670m and GTX 675m are both Fermi. The GTX 680m is the only high end Kepler laptop card. So i don't know where you are going with that blazorthon.

It was a typo. I meant to say GTX 680M and corrected it. Also, the 680M is the only high end mobile card with a Kepler GPU. The desktop variants of all of the current GTX 600 cards use Kepler GPUs and they all use the same GPU as the GTX 680M, the GK104, granted the desktop GTX 680 has one more SMX enabled than the 670, 660 Ti, and 680M.

The GTX 680M has a little more than 110GB/s of memory bandwidth and the GTX 670 has a little more than 190GB/s of memory bandwidth. If anyone thinks that this is the same, then they're very mistaken. This is also the only difference between the 680M and the 670 other than minor clock frequency reductions that don't make much difference with the GK104 GPU anyway.
m
l
August 24, 2012 6:48:58 PM

blazorthon said:
It was a typo. I meant to say GTX 680M and corrected it. Also, the 680M is the only high end mobile card with a Kepler GPU. The desktop variants of all of the current GTX 600 cards use Kepler GPUs and they all use the same GPU as the GTX 680M, granted the desktop GTX 680 has one more SMX enabled than the 670, 660 Ti, and 680M.

I'm sorry as i wrote that before i saw the correction. Either way thats good for the OP to know. The GTX 680 is the only 28nm Kepler core.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2012 6:53:39 PM

shiftstealth said:
I'm sorry as i wrote that before i saw the correction. Either way thats good for the OP to know. The GTX 680 is the only 28nm Kepler core.

The GTX 680M is the only mobile graphics card with a GK104 GPU (uses Kepler). All of the desktop GTX 600 cards use Kepler GPUs and the GTX 660 TI and GTX 670 all use the same GK104 as the GTX 680M and the GTX 680 uses the GK104 too, but unlike the GTX 680M and the other two, it has an additional SMX (that like the clock frequency differences, doesn't make much difference).

That's why the Radeon 7970M is better. It's a Radeon 7870 with an underclocked GPU and that's way better than a GTX 670 with its memory bandwidth almost halved. The GTX 680M versus the GTX 670 is like comparing a Llano APU with 800MHz memory to the same APU with 1600MHz memory. The one with the faster memory is far superior just by alleviating the memory bandwidth bottle-neck.

Point is that the GTX 680M isn't really the best option because it would not handle AA very well at all and no AA on a laptop that can't get a high resolution to make up for no AA is not good. The 680M also would have very bad minimum frame rates. It might get a higher average than the 7970M when AA isn't used, but even then, its minimums would be 20-40% lower. That's pretty bad because it could mean that an average of 60FPS could have minimums that drop under 30FPS in many games. Average FPS would be similarly bad with high AA whereas the 7970M would be fine with it.

The 680M might be good if you overclock the memory on it substantially, but that's not something that I'd recommend doing in a laptop. The memory probably has no cooling at all.
m
l
August 25, 2012 1:34:04 AM

blazorthon said:

I agree with you blazorthon
m
l
August 25, 2012 1:42:07 AM

ojas said:

Wouldn't really recommend a non-gaming laptop for BF3. You'll end up frying the CPU (i say this from experience, a friend of mine got a toshiba from the US and BF3 saw its CPU hitting 95*C+).

p.s. @PCGamer: agree with blazorthon, IGP means it's on the same die as CPU (and in earlier years integrated into the mobo, though that was a graphics controller, i believe, processing was still done by the CPU). Nvidia/AMD notebook GPUs can be removed from the mobo, and have their own memory and controller.

Hello I am in SE Asia Thailand. My budget is US $1000, Actually can be +-20% depending on product.

I want to enjoy some gaming when I am traveling working, I am looking for laptop around 14in screen size.
m
l
August 25, 2012 1:42:21 AM

ojas said:

Hello I am in SE Asia Thailand. My budget is US $1000, Actually can be +-20% depending on product.

I want to enjoy some gaming when I am traveling working, I am looking for laptop around 14in screen size.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 25, 2012 1:45:16 AM

Kpssandhu said:

In that case, you can do better than an APU system. Something with a high-end mobile Radeon 6000/7000 or GTX 500/600 card (excluding the 680M, that thing is an expensive Frankenstein card) is probably more up your alley.
m
l
August 25, 2012 2:39:00 PM

Thanks all for providing me valuable feed back +1 respect for you all.
I will see if there is any core i7 + gtx 660 m laptop in market.. Currently I like MacBook pro its configuration retina display weight and build quality is awesome but only down side is I cannot play bf3 on it :-) will see other brands with same configurations may be cheaper than Mac
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 25, 2012 2:44:44 PM

Ugh, servicing Macs is horrible. The current Macbooks are all glued and/or soldered together in a single piece. I wouldn't buy that unless it was dirt cheap and since it's the opposite, I would never buy them. If a single little hardware issues occurs (which isn't rare with Macs), then the buyers is effectively screwed if Apple manages to cut the warranty (which is something that they do often).
m
l
August 25, 2012 4:17:54 PM

blazorthon said:
Ugh, servicing Macs is horrible. The current Macbooks are all glued and/or soldered together in a single piece. I wouldn't buy that unless it was dirt cheap and since it's the opposite, I would never buy them. If a single little hardware issues occurs (which isn't rare with Macs), then the buyers is effectively screwed if Apple manages to cut the warranty (which is something that they do often).

I agree with you buddy. But I have been using Hp, compaq, Dell, Acer, Toshiba notebooks , currently I got 13 in MacBook air free (office) it's very fast compared with windows notebooks.

Anyhow I don't want to be off topic
Mac cannot play games they will melt :pt1cable: 
Looking for some other brand than Lenovo.
m
l
September 1, 2012 4:41:06 PM

Best answer selected by kpssandhu.
m
l
!