Windows Explorer under XP Pro - taming zip files?

Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

G'day mates,

Got a problem with friggin' Windows Explorer under XP Pro on a system
I use from time to time.

There are many zip files in some directories, and some of them contain
*thousands* of small data files etc. Say 6 zips each with 3000 files
and we're looking at a total of around 18000 files in a directory.

Now, Windows Explorer under XP Pro seems determined to open and
"index" all these bloody files when you point to one of these
directories. The individual zip files eventually appear as
"directories" in the LH pane and also as files in the RH pane.

The problem is that the system can virtually hang for minutes at a
time while this is being done. And, bugger it Bill, I don't want or
need this to happen! This is automation gone crazy! I'm perfectly
happy to open a zip file for myself when I need something out of it.

So the question is: Can I turn off this useless "feature" and how?

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID
17 answers Last reply

    Phred wrote:
    > G'day mates,
    >
    > Got a problem with friggin' Windows Explorer under XP Pro on a system

    > I use from time to time.
    >
    > There are many zip files in some directories, and some of them
    contain
    > *thousands* of small data files etc. Say 6 zips each with 3000 files

    > and we're looking at a total of around 18000 files in a directory.
    >
    > Now, Windows Explorer under XP Pro seems determined to open and
    > "index" all these bloody files when you point to one of these
    > directories. The individual zip files eventually appear as
    > "directories" in the LH pane and also as files in the RH pane.
    >
    > The problem is that the system can virtually hang for minutes at a
    > time while this is being done. And, bugger it Bill, I don't want or
    > need this to happen! This is automation gone crazy! I'm perfectly
    > happy to open a zip file for myself when I need something out of it.
    >
    > So the question is: Can I turn off this useless "feature" and how?
    >
    > Cheers, Phred.
    >
    > --
    > ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

    At a command prompt type:
    regsvr32 /u %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll
    and I believe you should restart, it's just that easy, if for some
    reason you want to re-enable it, type in this:
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll
    and then restart
    -joltman
  2. Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Nope. I use 7-zip and all ZIP files are associated with it. However
    Windows Explorer will still display them as directories and open them
    as such if I click on them. If they are clicked on from the folders
    pane then 7-ZIP will open them, if they are clicked on from the folders
    pane then they are treated as folders.
  3. Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    In addition to turning it off, you can get around it if it's on.
    Instead of clicking on a folder in the folders pane to open it, click
    on the '+' to expand folders. Using the plus expands the sub-folders
    without indexing the ZIP files.
  4. Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 13:05:37 GMT, ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com (Phred)
    wrote:

    >G'day mates,
    >
    >Got a problem with friggin' Windows Explorer under XP Pro on a system
    >I use from time to time.
    >
    >There are many zip files in some directories, and some of them contain
    >*thousands* of small data files etc. Say 6 zips each with 3000 files
    >and we're looking at a total of around 18000 files in a directory.
    >
    >Now, Windows Explorer under XP Pro seems determined to open and
    >"index" all these bloody files when you point to one of these
    >directories. The individual zip files eventually appear as
    >"directories" in the LH pane and also as files in the RH pane.
    >
    >The problem is that the system can virtually hang for minutes at a
    >time while this is being done. And, bugger it Bill, I don't want or
    >need this to happen! This is automation gone crazy! I'm perfectly
    >happy to open a zip file for myself when I need something out of it.
    >
    >So the question is: Can I turn off this useless "feature" and how?

    Yes if you associate ZIP files with a proper ZIP program like 7-Zip,
    they'll appear as files to Windows XP. But you'll no longer be able to
    open them with the Windows ZIP feature(not that you'll want to), you
    have to use the third-party ZIP program.
  5. Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Phred, Or try right clicking on the drive with all the zip files and click
    properties and uncheck Allow Indexing Service to Index this Drive for fast
    file searches. Click okay to all folders, subfolders and files on this
    drive. I found the indexing service of little use, except to slow my
    machines down. Pat

    "Brissie" <brissie@zwallet.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 13:05:37 GMT, ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com (Phred)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>G'day mates,
    >>
    >>Got a problem with friggin' Windows Explorer under XP Pro on a system
    >>I use from time to time.
    >>
    >>There are many zip files in some directories, and some of them contain
    >>*thousands* of small data files etc. Say 6 zips each with 3000 files
    >>and we're looking at a total of around 18000 files in a directory.
    >>
    >>Now, Windows Explorer under XP Pro seems determined to open and
    >>"index" all these bloody files when you point to one of these
    >>directories. The individual zip files eventually appear as
    >>"directories" in the LH pane and also as files in the RH pane.
    >>
    >>The problem is that the system can virtually hang for minutes at a
    >>time while this is being done. And, bugger it Bill, I don't want or
    >>need this to happen! This is automation gone crazy! I'm perfectly
    >>happy to open a zip file for myself when I need something out of it.
    >>
    >>So the question is: Can I turn off this useless "feature" and how?
    >
    > Yes if you associate ZIP files with a proper ZIP program like 7-Zip,
    > they'll appear as files to Windows XP. But you'll no longer be able to
    > open them with the Windows ZIP feature(not that you'll want to), you
    > have to use the third-party ZIP program.

  6. Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Just install Winzip - problem gone and you have a better zipper too.

    "Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > G'day mates,
    >
    > Got a problem with friggin' Windows Explorer under XP Pro on a system
    > I use from time to time.
    >
    > There are many zip files in some directories, and some of them contain
    > *thousands* of small data files etc. Say 6 zips each with 3000 files
    > and we're looking at a total of around 18000 files in a directory.
    >
    > Now, Windows Explorer under XP Pro seems determined to open and
    > "index" all these bloody files when you point to one of these
    > directories. The individual zip files eventually appear as
    > "directories" in the LH pane and also as files in the RH pane.
    >
    > The problem is that the system can virtually hang for minutes at a
    > time while this is being done. And, bugger it Bill, I don't want or
    > need this to happen! This is automation gone crazy! I'm perfectly
    > happy to open a zip file for myself when I need something out of it.
    >
    > So the question is: Can I turn off this useless "feature" and how?
    >
    > Cheers, Phred.
    >
    > --
    > ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

  7. Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    In article <3949dvF602ulaU1@individual.net>, "Colin" <tobyjug7@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
    >Just install Winzip - problem gone and you have a better zipper too.

    In fact Winzip *is* installed as part of the default installation, and
    the problem obviously persists or I wouldn't have asked for a
    solution. 8-)

    But thanks, mates, for all the suggestions. I'll try the *explicit*
    "associate with" solution and see how that goes. (I'm not sure if this
    installation will let me frig around with the more techo approaches.)

    P.S. Sorry to start a discussion about the pros and cons of Winzip. :)
    And, Rod, I actually like the fact it defaults to the previously used
    directory for extractions because I use that "feature" at least twice
    a day and do bugger all other extractions. [Hmm... but I've just
    realised in all of this that I'm using version 8.x, not 9.]

    >"Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> G'day mates,
    >>
    >> Got a problem with friggin' Windows Explorer under XP Pro on a system
    >> I use from time to time.
    >>
    >> There are many zip files in some directories, and some of them contain
    >> *thousands* of small data files etc. Say 6 zips each with 3000 files
    >> and we're looking at a total of around 18000 files in a directory.
    >>
    >> Now, Windows Explorer under XP Pro seems determined to open and
    >> "index" all these bloody files when you point to one of these
    >> directories. The individual zip files eventually appear as
    >> "directories" in the LH pane and also as files in the RH pane.
    >>
    >> The problem is that the system can virtually hang for minutes at a
    >> time while this is being done. And, bugger it Bill, I don't want or
    >> need this to happen! This is automation gone crazy! I'm perfectly
    >> happy to open a zip file for myself when I need something out of it.
    >>
    >> So the question is: Can I turn off this useless "feature" and how?

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID
  8. Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    >> Not doubting you - just seeking enlightenment with facts to back the
    >> claims.
    >
    > Soorree, you loonys dont qualify for enlightenment. ECT is the best you
    > get.

    That's OK - I enjoy it. Gives you a hard-on for a week. But you know that
    don't you.

    Anyway, I like the Winzip interface.

    The default extract is easy with V9 - just click Extract Here in the context
    menu

    Tried 7-Zip earlier today and the context menu is not as good as Winzip - it
    offers to extract uncompressed files so it appears a bit brain dead there.
    Winzip has a good context menu.

    The higher compression is good but useless for sending stuff to people
    generally and the performance is so close with standard Zip that it's not
    worth what I see as downsides. As far as RAR goes - I rarely get them.
    Probably cos I don't download the sort of stuff that uses RAR. What does
    anyway - more Unix oriented I suspect.
  9. Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Colin wrote:

    > Anyway, I like the Winzip interface.

    To be honest, I dont mind either, but WinZip has a familiar feel to it.

    > The default extract is easy with V9 - just click Extract Here in the context
    > menu

    Exactly. Nice feature.

    Just imagine if we still had to use pkzip.exe and pkunzip.exe to work on
    these things... Or god forbid, Lharc !!

    > Tried 7-Zip earlier today and the context menu is not as good as Winzip - it
    > offers to extract uncompressed files so it appears a bit brain dead there.
    > Winzip has a good context menu.

    I've never tried 7-Zip, but I dont need yet another archiver so I
    probably wont. But it's like saying Which Media player do you prefer for
    AVI files... To each their own. (but bsplayer is pretty cool tho!!)

    > The higher compression is good but useless for sending stuff to people
    > generally and the performance is so close with standard Zip that it's not
    > worth what I see as downsides.

    Again, I agree. I dont see the need to squeaze every bit of compression
    out of something just to get it 1k smaller. 10 years ago it was a must !
    but these days, it's just not an issue.

    > As far as RAR goes - I rarely get them.

    Now heres where you go funny.. :-|

    There are plenty of RAR files around, and they dont come from specific
    places. Not only does WinRAR do Rar files, but ZIP files, ARJ files, and
    pretty much most of the older/alternative compression methods.

    By far it is a handier tool than Winzip if you do deal with numerous
    archive formats.

    > Probably cos I don't download the sort of stuff that uses RAR. What does
    > anyway - more Unix oriented I suspect.

    If I were you, Id put on an asbestos suit now... :)
  10. Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Colin <tobyjug7@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

    >>> Not doubting you - just seeking enlightenment with facts to back the claims.

    >> Soorree, you loonys dont qualify for enlightenment. ECT is the best you get.

    > That's OK - I enjoy it. Gives you a hard-on for a week.

    A likely story.

    > Anyway, I like the Winzip interface.

    More fool you.

    > The default extract is easy with V9 - just click Extract Here in the context
    > menu

    I didnt mean that, I normally want to fiddle with the name it offers.

    > Tried 7-Zip earlier today and the context menu is not as good as Winzip - it
    > offers to extract uncompressed files so it appears a bit brain dead there.
    > Winzip has a good context menu.

    Sure, but so does Winrar and its better to have one doing the most common
    formats.

    > The higher compression is good

    I couldnt care less about that, they're all so close its gnat's dick stuff.

    > but useless for sending stuff to people generally and the performance is so
    > close with standard Zip that it's not worth what I see as downsides.

    True.

    > As far as RAR goes - I rarely get them. Probably cos I don't download the sort
    > of stuff that uses RAR. What does anyway - more Unix oriented I suspect.

    Nope, very common with emule etc.
  11. Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 12:47:10 GMT, ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com (Phred)
    wrote:

    >In article <3949dvF602ulaU1@individual.net>, "Colin" <tobyjug7@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
    >>Just install Winzip - problem gone and you have a better zipper too.
    >
    >In fact Winzip *is* installed as part of the default installation, and
    >the problem obviously persists or I wouldn't have asked for a
    >solution. 8-)

    WinZip doesn't come with Windows. Microsoft Zip does. MS don't make
    WinZip, and as bad as WinZip is, Microsoft's is worse.

    >But thanks, mates, for all the suggestions. I'll try the *explicit*
    >"associate with" solution and see how that goes. (I'm not sure if this
    >installation will let me frig around with the more techo approaches.)
    >
    >P.S. Sorry to start a discussion about the pros and cons of Winzip. :)
    >And, Rod, I actually like the fact it defaults to the previously used
    >directory for extractions because I use that "feature" at least twice
    >a day and do bugger all other extractions. [Hmm... but I've just
    >realised in all of this that I'm using version 8.x, not 9.]
    >
    >>"Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> G'day mates,
    >>>
    >>> Got a problem with friggin' Windows Explorer under XP Pro on a system
    >>> I use from time to time.
    >>>
    >>> There are many zip files in some directories, and some of them contain
    >>> *thousands* of small data files etc. Say 6 zips each with 3000 files
    >>> and we're looking at a total of around 18000 files in a directory.
    >>>
    >>> Now, Windows Explorer under XP Pro seems determined to open and
    >>> "index" all these bloody files when you point to one of these
    >>> directories. The individual zip files eventually appear as
    >>> "directories" in the LH pane and also as files in the RH pane.
    >>>
    >>> The problem is that the system can virtually hang for minutes at a
    >>> time while this is being done. And, bugger it Bill, I don't want or
    >>> need this to happen! This is automation gone crazy! I'm perfectly
    >>> happy to open a zip file for myself when I need something out of it.
    >>>
    >>> So the question is: Can I turn off this useless "feature" and how?
    >

    >Cheers, Phred.
  12. Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > In article <3949dvF602ulaU1@individual.net>, "Colin" <tobyjug7@yahoo.com.au>
    > wrote:
    >>Just install Winzip - problem gone and you have a better zipper too.
    >
    > In fact Winzip *is* installed as part of the default installation, and
    > the problem obviously persists or I wouldn't have asked for a
    > solution. 8-)
    >
    > But thanks, mates, for all the suggestions. I'll try the *explicit*
    > "associate with" solution and see how that goes. (I'm not sure if this
    > installation will let me frig around with the more techo approaches.)

    > P.S. Sorry to start a discussion about the pros and cons of Winzip. :)
    > And, Rod, I actually like the fact it defaults to the previously used
    > directory for extractions because I use that "feature" at least twice
    > a day and do bugger all other extractions.

    WinRaR has that too.

    > [Hmm... but I've just realised in all of this that I'm using version 8.x, not
    > 9.]

    Yeah, we know you are one of those dinosaurs |-)

    >>"Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> G'day mates,
    >>>
    >>> Got a problem with friggin' Windows Explorer under XP Pro on a system
    >>> I use from time to time.
    >>>
    >>> There are many zip files in some directories, and some of them contain
    >>> *thousands* of small data files etc. Say 6 zips each with 3000 files
    >>> and we're looking at a total of around 18000 files in a directory.
    >>>
    >>> Now, Windows Explorer under XP Pro seems determined to open and
    >>> "index" all these bloody files when you point to one of these
    >>> directories. The individual zip files eventually appear as
    >>> "directories" in the LH pane and also as files in the RH pane.
    >>>
    >>> The problem is that the system can virtually hang for minutes at a
    >>> time while this is being done. And, bugger it Bill, I don't want or
    >>> need this to happen! This is automation gone crazy! I'm perfectly
    >>> happy to open a zip file for myself when I need something out of it.
    >>>
    >>> So the question is: Can I turn off this useless "feature" and how?
    >

    > Cheers, Phred.
    >
    > --
    > ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

  13. Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    In explorer, Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab -> uncheck "display
    simple folder view". Apply to all folders.

    ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com (Phred) wrote:

    >G'day mates,
    >
    >Got a problem with friggin' Windows Explorer under XP Pro on a system
    >I use from time to time.
    >
    >There are many zip files in some directories, and some of them contain
    >*thousands* of small data files etc. Say 6 zips each with 3000 files
    >and we're looking at a total of around 18000 files in a directory.
    >
    >Now, Windows Explorer under XP Pro seems determined to open and
    >"index" all these bloody files when you point to one of these
    >directories. The individual zip files eventually appear as
    >"directories" in the LH pane and also as files in the RH pane.
    >
    >The problem is that the system can virtually hang for minutes at a
    >time while this is being done. And, bugger it Bill, I don't want or
    >need this to happen! This is automation gone crazy! I'm perfectly
    >happy to open a zip file for myself when I need something out of it.
    >
    >So the question is: Can I turn off this useless "feature" and how?
    >
    >Cheers, Phred.
  14. Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > Colin <tobyjug7@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    >> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
    >> That's OK - I enjoy it. Gives you a hard-on for a week.
    >
    > A likely story.

    Cheeky bugger - you snipped a bit !!

    > I didnt mean that, I normally want to fiddle with the name it offers.

    Fair nough - I regularly unzip to the same places so its not a biggy.

    > Sure, but so does Winrar and its better to have one doing the most common
    > formats

    Probably any shift shift should be to WinRAR as it an all-in-one. I don't
    use it enough to comment.

    >> As far as RAR goes - I rarely get them. Probably cos I don't download the
    >> sort of stuff that uses RAR. What does anyway - more Unix oriented I
    >> suspect.
    >
    > Nope, very common with emule etc.

    There's the answer - I don't download heaps of stuff and have never used
    Torrent or Emule.
  15. Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > In article <3949dvF602ulaU1@individual.net>, "Colin"
    > <tobyjug7@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
    >>Just install Winzip - problem gone and you have a better zipper too.
    >
    > In fact Winzip *is* installed as part of the default installation, and
    > the problem obviously persists or I wouldn't have asked for a
    > solution. 8-)

    Wierd !

    I un-installed WInzip and XP fell back to it's own zipper.

    I then put in 7-Zip and it became the default - uninstalled it, replaced
    Winzip and it's now the default.

    It's the registry for you I'd guess.
  16. Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    In article <0rar21pl52cojbanuudgsboempc733kfeh@4ax.com>, Brissie <brissie@zwallet.com> wrote:
    >On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 12:47:10 GMT, ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com (Phred)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <3949dvF602ulaU1@individual.net>, "Colin" <tobyjug7@yahoo.com.au>
    > wrote:
    >>>Just install Winzip - problem gone and you have a better zipper too.
    >>
    >>In fact Winzip *is* installed as part of the default installation, and
    >>the problem obviously persists or I wouldn't have asked for a
    >>solution. 8-)
    >
    >WinZip doesn't come with Windows. Microsoft Zip does. MS don't make
    >WinZip, and as bad as WinZip is, Microsoft's is worse.

    Sorry mate, you didn't read what I said: "Winzip *is* installed".
    (But I'm happy to agree with your assessment of MS Zip. :)

    [snip]

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID
  17. Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    In article <396t0vF5v3nasU1@individual.net>, "Colin"
    <tobyjug7@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

    >"Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <3949dvF602ulaU1@individual.net>, "Colin"
    >> <tobyjug7@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
    >>>Just install Winzip - problem gone and you have a better zipper too.
    >>
    >> In fact Winzip *is* installed as part of the default installation, and
    >> the problem obviously persists or I wouldn't have asked for a
    >> solution. 8-)
    >
    >Wierd !
    >
    >I un-installed WInzip and XP fell back to it's own zipper.
    >
    >I then put in 7-Zip and it became the default - uninstalled it, replaced
    >Winzip and it's now the default.
    >
    >It's the registry for you I'd guess.

    Yeah. That may be the only solution -- unfortunately the ability to
    edit the registry is restricted by policy on this system.

    I checked the associations side of things , and found WinZip is
    already associated with .zip files as I suspected -- so that's not the
    solution.

    I also tried that Tools/Folder options... appoach, and thought that
    had solved it -- but it reverted to its previous unacceptable
    behaviour as soon as another instance was opened. :-(

    However, the method of opening directories by double clicking the name
    rather than using the "+" function seems to work as someone suggested.
    So maybe all that's needed is for me to remember to do that each time.
    (But old [bad?] habits die hard! :)

    Anyway, thanks for your interest and help, mates.

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

Dell Windows Explorer Zip Windows XP Computers